U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2008, 01:23 PM
 
2,398 posts, read 5,047,715 times
Reputation: 1554

Advertisements

I was just curious how Nebraska is doing during these economic hard-times?
Are foreclosures a problem? I imagine not...It's probably comparable to SD.
I haven't noticed too much here in Sioux Falls... A big-box retailer in a planned retail development scaled back plans, but that's about all I can think of. The construction of new homes here has slowed a bit too.

How is it down there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,933,642 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I was just curious how Nebraska is doing during these economic hard-times?
Are foreclosures a problem? I imagine not...It's probably comparable to SD.
I haven't noticed too much here in Sioux Falls... A big-box retailer in a planned retail development scaled back plans, but that's about all I can think of. The construction of new homes here has slowed a bit too.

How is it down there?
The state as a whole is trying to fill 39,000 jobs and we are looking outside the state lines to get them filled..

Omaha has had a few job cuts as expected, however the number of new jobs far exceed the job cuts and the city still has a high percentage of job vacancies than unemployment rate..

The norther plains/western-midwestern states are still experiencing a high-flying economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: IN
22,285 posts, read 38,902,657 times
Reputation: 14862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
The state as a whole is trying to fill 39,000 jobs and we are looking outside the state lines to get them filled..

Omaha has had a few job cuts as expected, however the number of new jobs far exceed the job cuts and the city still has a high percentage of job vacancies than unemployment rate..

The norther plains/western-midwestern states are still experiencing a high-flying economy.
A HUGE divide exists between the economies of the Midwest and the Plains right now. In terms of unemployment rates the lowest (3.3%) is in South Dakota, while the highest (8.9%) is in Michigan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,020,943 times
Reputation: 1238
Well, Omaha is getting a Yahoo data center, agriculture is booming and Gas prices are going down, everything's great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 PM
 
2,398 posts, read 5,047,715 times
Reputation: 1554
Granite, I've heard about the bad conditions in Michigan.

ehenningsen, that is promising! To me especially, as I am moving to Bellevue in a few months to complete my bachelors degree. I hope I can fill one of those spots!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: IN
22,285 posts, read 38,902,657 times
Reputation: 14862
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Granite, I've heard about the bad conditions in Michigan.

ehenningsen, that is promising! To me especially, as I am moving to Bellevue in a few months to complete my bachelors degree. I hope I can fill one of those spots!
I wish you the best of luck I have always liked the medium sized metros in the Midwest and Plains like Des Moines, Rochester, Omaha, Madison, Sioux Falls, etc. Huge metro areas like Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, or Kansas City are a little too over-stimulating and crowded for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,670,567 times
Reputation: 2433
So many folks in Nebraska still bank with their local banks. And those local banks have always had pretty conservative lending practices anyway. The last few weeks have just supported how very right they were!

I agree with Go NE. the key industries in Nebraska are thriving.

~Erin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
 
34 posts, read 419,420 times
Reputation: 43
Talking about such a "big job market" is good and all statistically, but highly educated people in this state have a very hard time trying to find jobs.

I have a master's degree in a scientific field. In many other states with more high tech research going on, I would have no problem making in the 60-70K range as a starting salary. Here in Nebraska, I make in the 35-40K range, and only find about 1 job every couple of months that opens that fits my qualifications.

I'm definitely considering moving out of state for better opportunities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top