U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 17,206 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,243,410 times
Interracial family is a pretty broad term. If you mean a Man & a Woman who are of different races and married most of these couples that I know seem to be doing OK.

I live in one of the poorer sections of Lincoln and most of the interracial kids here are being raised by single women. The typical situation is a White or Hispanic girl in her teens or early twenties that got pregnant before graduating from High School. Their Black (usually) boy friend is a few years older than them and he probably has several illegitimate kids with other young Women. The Men usually have a Felony on their record and are thieves, burglars or drug users/dealers and GF beaters.

A sister of mine lives in one of the more prosperous neighborhoods in Lincoln. In her neighborhood the interracial couples are married and it is usually a White/Asian couple. The two mixed race marriages with a White woman married to a Black man that I know of in that neighborhood are Doctors. Obviously the kids with married parents are going to be better off than the kids being raised by a single parent irrespective of the racial mix.

GL2

Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 AM

95 posts, read 224,917 times
You have to remember that Nebraskans think they are the heartland of American. Anyone different from them is suspect.

As explained in other threads I lived there nearly 20 years. Lived in 9 cities and 7 states. Tho Nebraskans may tell you there is no trouble, the blacks I knew had a different story, and what I observed was in line with what the black folk reported (I'm white).

I had an interracial couple next door to me who were great neighbors. They didn't specifically have problems living there, but they had stories of others that did.

You'd find Omaha to be much more tolerant of "unconventional life styles" by Nebraskan standards than Lincoln. It will also have better economic opportunity and similar cost of living.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,828,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2KnowWhy View Post
You have to remember that Nebraskans think they are the heartland of American. Anyone different from them is suspect.

As explained in other threads I lived there nearly 20 years. Lived in 9 cities and 7 states. Tho Nebraskans may tell you there is no trouble, the blacks I knew had a different story, and what I observed was in line with what the black folk reported (I'm white).

I had an interracial couple next door to me who were great neighbors. They didn't specifically have problems living there, but they had stories of others that did.

You'd find Omaha to be much more tolerant of "unconventional life styles" by Nebraskan standards than Lincoln. It will also have better economic opportunity and similar cost of living.
I can't vouch for you as I don't have your experience, but you are for sure right about how the state seems to spite Omaha in any way they can. Omaha is rapidly becoming very diverse from both an influx of domestic and international migration. Sadly the migrants from the rural areas would rather leave state than live here.

Omaha adds a lot to the state, yet the state government seems to slam the city and tries to undercut it in favor of the more rural areas. It may have something to do with the rapid shift of power that favors Omaha or because the city is pretty liberal. The state was pissed when Omaha sent an electoral vote to Obama. We became known as 'obamaha' after that incident.

With omahas rapid growth and the rural decline some changes will occur. Why don't the rural areas at least try to work with us instead of always looking at us in a David versus goliath way? I keep hearing the rest of the state wants to break Omaha off as they could survive without the city. I agree. The state would still continue to flourish as it is a very economical and very scenic state. Still, why would you want to make your only large metro are an outcast like that? You know that Lincoln is going to be a part of the Omaha metro in the next few decades which probably would be a good time to break off from the rest of the state and form its own.

I love Nebraska from east to west, but am getting a bit tired of all the anti-Omaha talk from the rest of the state and the state government.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I love Nebraska from east to west, but am getting a bit tired of all the anti-Omaha talk from the rest of the state and the state government.
Do you care to quote some of this "anti-Omaha talk" with maybe some links,
or is just a personal point of view.
I am not being sarcastic, I am genuinely interested if it is real.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,976,515 times
I'm a native Nebraskan, I live near a small community within an easy commute of Lincoln, and honestly, I have no idea where some of the stuff people are talking about on here comes from. I have never heard anyone "put down" Omaha. As for the rest--my family is multi racial through adoption--two white parents and one white kid, one black kid, and three hispanic kids. We live on an acreage in a more comfortable area, so we aren't dealing with ethnicity and poverty issues. My kids have had zero problems at school over their racial backgrounds, and they all just fit in as part of the gang. The only one who's had any problems at all is my teenaged black son, and that 's only when he's been followed around in stores while shopping, but that's happened in other states and cities as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,828,300 times
Sorry guys. I didn't save any links. I see it all the time on Nebraska-based messageboards, comments made by state legislators and how the state continuously legislate laws that favor rural over urban and suburban over core cities. Such laws would include making up new rules (in the past) which divided Douglas/early counties into two, new on-the-whim annexation laws in the past which prevented Omaha from annexing cities in another county(a long time ago), allowing some forms of payroll taxes and deciding on the whim (with no real boundaries) what is not allowed. Having the boards of education and other distribution forms based on old drawn out districts which give small communities a ridiculously strong power of representation over the bigger, faster growing areas. They continuously decide not to do anything about it. Trying to legislate laws on the whim to halt Omaha's attempt to protect minority status that the majority of people.and businesses feel is necessary, halt ops from annexing school districts when a community is annexed which cause a horrible waste of resources and money management. Also having a law on term limits to rid of legislators they want out and are now ready to get rid of these limits.

There have been some very fair legislation too which actually has been becoming more fair as of late (despite some things mentioned here).

I really hate talking about this and will keep it under wraps as much as possible as it is a black-eye to the state (a shrinkinking black eye fortunately).

Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Default Interracial couples in North Platte and Mullen?

What about North Platte or Mullen? I am not from Nebraska but my other half is and I am curious to know how I or our relationship will be accepted. Do you know of any interracial couples in the area? Thank you.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM

29 posts, read 78,751 times
Interesting thread. I would like to know (if anybody can pitch in) if the public schools in Lincoln are somewhat multi-cultural/diverse? The slightly strange thing about NYC is on the one hand it has a ton of diversity, but on the other, when it comes to public schools, there is hardly any diversity. Not many well-to-do white parents want to try their 'luck' sending their kid to a public school, unless they are accepted on some sort of advanced program or get into a charter school via the lottery system. My wife is from Lincoln and from what I can tell had a great education and still remains in touch with most of her friends, who come from a pretty diverse group. Oh, and from she has said, the interracial couple/friends that she has in Nebraska seem to do alright!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,976,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbee View Post
Interesting thread. I would like to know (if anybody can pitch in) if the public schools in Lincoln are somewhat multi-cultural/diverse? The slightly strange thing about NYC is on the one hand it has a ton of diversity, but on the other, when it comes to public schools, there is hardly any diversity. Not many well-to-do white parents want to try their 'luck' sending their kid to a public school, unless they are accepted on some sort of advanced program or get into a charter school via the lottery system. My wife is from Lincoln and from what I can tell had a great education and still remains in touch with most of her friends, who come from a pretty diverse group. Oh, and from she has said, the interracial couple/friends that she has in Nebraska seem to do alright!
The reason people send their kids to private school here is almost entirely for religious reasons, and not because the education is greatly superior to public school. The private schools that I know of in Lincoln are catholic, fundamentalist christian, and Missouri Synod Lutheran. Omaha does have a prep school (Mount Michael) but most people, including affluent families, are comfortable with Nebraska's public schools. As far as Lincoln goes, the community is 86% white and 14% are a mix of african americans, asians and hispanics. Some schools will have a higher percentage of minorities than others, depending on their location, but just about every school is at least somewhat racially diverse. The only place you're going to see all white schools are in outstate rural communities, and even some of those have a heavy hispanic population now because of the influx of hispanics into the state for the meatpacking and construction industries.

Lincoln is a college town--the universities and colleges here bring in faculty and students from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska