U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,892,953 times

Advertisements

Dear Jerry - ditto on all of that. It was the reason we moved from the hot and humid South - not just the heat and humidity, but the yuppie puppies and their McMansions and their SUVs and their "gottahave it now, better faster cheaper cuter but with real or feigned class" mindset. Not to mention their attitude that "MY child is WONderful; MY child would NEVER do that!" - while the little delinquents were forming gangs, setting fires, destroying property, and assaulting people. We moved from a 1000 sq foot home FmHa ranch to a 1750 sq foot home (with basement and upstairs) that is 100 years old - and has the 4 inch woodwork and trim for which you woud pay 1/2 a million at least back east! Leaded windows - with storm windows to protect them - even some stained glass. DH has his shop and his huge garage outside, and I have my ceramics workshop in the basement. Building your own takes time - not as many illegals swarming everywhere looking for construction jobs - and there are many houses to choose from. In Valentine, they had a beautful old two story that the city was trying to sell on a large piece of property, but it was finally gutted and moved out of county; the basement and foundation still stand and are good, waiting for someone to build.

I mention the Sandhills because it is drier here than further east. When the humidity gets UP to 46% the folks here stay indoors and complain that they can't breathe! Coming from 100 deg temps with 100% humidity (and no rain!!) we are much more comfortable here. It also has a different area and layout than Lincoln or Omaha; the hills are beautiful, the rivers rushing down the gorges and the sudden peaks and valleys are startling after crossing so many miles of flat and rolling terrain. So it really all depends on what catches your fancy and how you want to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM

2,288 posts, read 5,631,780 times
Yes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska