U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 AM

5 posts, read 13,140 times

Advertisements

All,

I have been reading the Nebraska section of the forum, and I've found it to be quite informative. To give you a bit of background about myself, I have lived in relatively large cities for most of my life, and after years of doing so, am tired of corporate America. It frustrates me and makes me lose sleep each night that I'm missing out on life. I have spent several months thinking about this, and I desire to work on a farm in Nebraska (definitely a departure from telecommunications, where I've spent the last five years).

I grew up on a horse farm, and miss so much the atmosphere of spending time with my grandpa and simply enjoying life. My question is this: where can I (if it exists) find a list of farms that may be hiring? I don't ask for much, I just want enough to make a living, and have a place to live/have food/etc.

This is a letter I wrote to any farm that may be thinking "why in the world is he considering moving to Nebraska to work on a farm???":

My name is ______, and I am from Charlotte, North Carolina. I have spent just over five years in the telecommunications industry, and have always been involved the inner workings of corporate America. Through my years on the job, I have been largely concerned with my growth as a professional, and have always neglected my personal life in the process. Truth be told, I am at my wits end with it and seek something that, while equally (or more) challenging, gives me a personal reward at the end of each day. I'm tired of living in the city and spending the majority of the day concerned with sales quotas and what next month's numbers will be. I want to engage in hard work, but I want it to be from a physical standpoint, and perhaps more importantly, something that gives me pride when I go to sleep - a hard day's work.

I spent many years during my childhood at a horse farm in Western North Carolina, and miss the physical labor environment, along with what I believe was a true realization of life - it scares me every day that life is moving so quickly that I can't take time to appreciate that gifts that have been given to me.

Whomever analyzes my resume will more than likely say "what in the world; what a job shift!," however my hope is that they read this e-mail and discover the reasons for my attempt to pursue a more rewarding career.

I can be reached at....

You get the idea. Can anyone offer suggestions on some prominent farms in relatively rural areas (I don't want to be near Omaha or Lincoln) that may have some openings? Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to take time off and visit the state for several days, like I would like to do.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,797,894 times
I see ads in the local papers quite often for people hiring for ag jobs. Here is a link to a list of newspapers that are online:
Nebraska Newspapers - Nebraska Newspaper List

Are you looking to work more with cattle, crops, a combination or are you hoping to stay with horses?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 AM

94 posts, read 309,378 times
give this website a shot....
http://www.hansenagriplacement.com

Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 13,140 times
Thank you so much! I will check them out!

Tpabes - I am, honestly, open to anything, be it cattle, crops, horses, or all of the above. It's sad to say, but even though I grew up around horses, I am not well versed on them. My concern is that these people are going to look at my resume and see that I have no agricultural experience.

I could sell them a wireless phone though - ha ha.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM

461 posts, read 1,032,195 times
Default Turner ranches

Try this link, Ted Turner is the largest landowner in the USA.

Ted Turner (http://www.tedturner.com/enterprises/home.asp - broken link)

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,837,512 times
Opacity maybe you should modify your thinking about a career change just a bit. Is it really your current work that is driving you nuts or is it the environment that you are forced to live in? You indicate that you don't have much knowledge about agriculture but you could sell wireless phones.

Maybe that is the answer for you. Wireless communications systems are expanding into the country. I would bet that finding a sales or support job with one of these expanding companies might be possible. As one who has mucked out plenty of livestock, barns and stalls I can tell you a job selling wireless systems in rural areas will be a lot more interesting than shoveling crap LOL.

This approach would get you into a rural setting and after work hours you could pursue horses or whatever as a hobby.

Good luck,

GL2

Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,014,343 times
Well, I don't have much to contribute other than a question, what type of scenery do you want? We can give you flat, rolling hills, sand hills, forested, and bluffs.

Otherwise, Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,307,673 times
Nebraska JobLink (http://nejoblink.dol.state.ne.us/index.cfm?app=js:sb:sb:res&st=adv - broken link)

The above link is from Nebraska Job Link. It will show the ag related jobs they have listed with them at this time.

You might want to keep in mind if you are looking at ranch work, you will more than likely be looking at a salary of $1500 (starting in my area) per month, lodging included. Not the most and I am sure a lot less than you are making now.

Its tough work, its long days, it can be lonely at times. Its a way a life that you must desire. It has its rewards, I wouldn't trade it for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska