U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,639,729 times

Advertisements

Happy Halloween Nebraska (and to any vistors as well!)

So will you be handing out candy tonight? What will you be handing out? I need to know what houses to come too!

I'll be handing out Mike and Ikes and Reese's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,420,641 times
Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Pops, and Mike and Ike's as well! Grin. PLEASE everyone come to my house - the previous owner said we'd get between 100-150 kids, and we bought for that many - then my local friends said it would be closer to 50! I will have to figure out a recipe to use up all of this candy so I'm not still eating it in Feb!!

We have a mummy in a coffin with a lit-up skull for the head, and gravestones in the front yard, and are putting up a blacklight, spiderwebs, jack-o-lantern, and getting the music machine hooked up today. I'll be the witch at the road to welcome kiddies in.

I really hate Halloween. Can you tell?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,639,729 times
First stop Cody, Ne. Looks like I can get double the candy and a show! How fun SCgranny.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,545,862 times
It was a little slower in our neighborhood (Papillion), but we are chalking it up to both high schools having away football games... was great weather and a great time seeing the neighbors out..... dp tonight we are just having a bunch of neighbors over for a football party and guess what - all the Halloween candy will be served.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,176,757 times
We had 3 total and one of those was the neighbor kid's dog dressed up like superman. You think its our location? Well guess I know what I will be munchin on during the game tonight.

Last edited by Sandhills Guru; 11-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: added to it

Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM

300 posts, read 1,055,659 times
How does Halloween work in the country? Do the parents drive the kids to neighbors houses?
I know in the city you just walk the street, but I'm alittle confused about how it works if you live in the country.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,420,641 times
Yes, the parents drive the kids to town, and then either get out at each house/block with porch lights on (little kiddies) or drive behind them as they go house-to-house. The teens drive to town and park and walk around sometimes with their younger brothers and sisters, or their friends, too.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,176,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
How does Halloween work in the country? Do the parents drive the kids to neighbors houses?
I know in the city you just walk the street, but I'm alittle confused about how it works if you live in the country.
You hit it on the head. That is what we did with our kids when they were young. Used to be quite a few in our area doing it. If we were gone doing that we would leave the porch light on, leave a bowl of candy there for those we missed. Then after hitting the neighbors we would sometimes take the kids to town for awhile.

Now today we don't have many young folks with trick or treat age kids close by. And those that do I believe they head towards town right off.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 PM

300 posts, read 1,055,659 times
Ahhh.. Ok. That explains things alittle better. Cute idea about leaving the candy on the porch. You HAVE to live in the country (or a small town) to do that. If we did that, some kids would steal it right off the bat!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:54 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Ahhh.. Ok. That explains things alittle better. Cute idea about leaving the candy on the porch. You HAVE to live in the country (or a small town) to do that. If we did that, some kids would steal it right off the bat!
We have lots of folks around us that do that - leave it on the porch.....

they either leave it on the porch while they take their own little ones out... we go between neighbors house visiting and when you leave your own house we leave it on the porch..., a single guy next door just doesn't get into the whole thing, but he does leave it on his porch.... never heard of anyone having any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska