Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 17,483 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to Ne. and were wondering how hard its going to be to get health insurance ,as I have type2 diabetes and high BP that is stable with meds. Iam also overweight and 62 yra. old . I know most insurance carriers don't want people like me ,but I have to have insurance, the last resort for myself would be the V A as I am a V nam Veteran but do not want to go there if at all possible Im willing to pay for health care if its available. If I can't get insurance I will have to stay in california, A good place to be FROM. Will appreciate any input.
Good Day & God Bless
Rooster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:25 AM

482 posts, read 2,218,308 times
Well Nebraska just like any where else has health insurance. Don't know what you are paying right now and it is none of my business to know. It will depend on what you have right now and if you can keep your coverage and use it in Nebraska. You need to check with your insurance company on this. There are three VA facilities in Nebraska that I know of. They have a clinic like operation in Grand Island and Lincoln. Both of these places were at one time VA Hospitals but I think that they closed the hosptial and just kept open clinics for out patient care only. Omaha still has a fully staffed VA Hospital. They also have mobile care clinics that have limited services that did travel to different locations in the State from Grand Island. I don't even know if they still are doing this any more. I am also a Vietnam Veteran and I do not use the VA either, it is not because it is not any good, it is because I can't as I make to much money and I am also retired from military service so I have health benefits from being retired.

From reading between the lines it sounds like t=you think that we in Nebraska are not up to the same standards as that of California. Well for one I like to think that you all in California just don't know a good thing when you see it. Nebraska might be a very rural state and seem kind of backward to most, but I see all of these people not meeting our higher moral values and standards that we have in Nebraska. When you make the move and get settled in to Nebraska life you will see what I mean. So with that I will end by saying to you, WELCOME TO NEBRASKA, besides the clean air and good food will help your weight and might help control all of your other ills and pains too.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM

kosnebbear Sorry I came across that way between the lines , as California has no standards anymore and I admire your Midwestern ways and aditudes. That sir is why we want to leave california and Im sorry to say we were both born and raised in northern California , today I tell you it is not fit for humans. As for the health insurance I am a retired Teamster but only 61 years old retirees are not covered at present Im covered by my wifes employer but when we move we can not take it with us as it is Kaiser which only goes as far as Denver , Colo. area , so there for we are on our own and subject to all the insurance companies whims . The wife and I are kinda in the same shoes you are in as we make too much money for most programs State or government sponserd and really do not want any Gov. hand outs as most of the time there are catches, But we have too much to loose if we do not have insurance so before going without we would stay in Calif. and suffer . Thank you for taking time to reply to my question.
Good Day & God Bless
Rooster

Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM

That is okay, it is that some of the people that I chat with think that Nebraska has nothing to offer. They all think that Nebraska is flat. When I ask them if they took I-80 through Nebraska they always say yes. I tell them that we put I-80 on the flat part of Nebraska for people who don't want to stop and enjoy our state. That way they could get out of the state faster so we could spend more time with the ones who wanted to visit for a bit.

Try Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Nebraska. They are the major health insurance company in Nebraska.

With me being retired military I really don't know that much about health insurance in Nebraska as health insurance for me and my wife is covered. We pay for the whole year what most individuals pay each month. Right now I am working in Europe for a private contractor so I can not even look for health insurance in order to provide you with a good answer. Omaha does have several home offices for insurance companies based there and some of them might be of some help and I don't even know their names. Maybe you can find something on line for Nebraska. Hope you find something and end up in Nebraska, maybe if you do we can get together do some fishing and swap out old war stories.

I lived in the Bay area for a while while stationed there in the 70's. So where do you come from in Northern California?

Seems as if more and more people are getting out of California. Is it the taxes or is it the new undocumented workers (illegal aliens) the reason everyone is wanting out.

Hope you find something even if it is in Colorado.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Hey Rooster how is your search going on medical insurance?

If I upset you then I need to say that I am sorry for doing that. My wife had family that lived in Southern California. He had cancer and loved hunting. I invited him to come to Nebraska to go hunting before he died. What he told me made me upset as well, but I got over it. What he said was that he did not want to get to far from the hospital in case something happened because he thought that we had no quality cancer treatment centers in Nebraska. He thought that we were still in the stone age when it came to medical facilities. My wife has had a fight with breast cancer, heart attack, skin cancer, gall bladder, and other female problems over the last few years, I had neck surgery to remove two discs that where bad and she and I were given excellent medical care. She is free from the breast cancer and her skin cancer is being treated. Now she, like you and me at our young age, is doing just fine but she needs to slow down and smell the flowers now.

I hope that you make it to Nebraska and even for a visit. I would invite you to share a supper with us if you want. Just send me a e-mail to me at kosnebbear@yahoo.com and I hope that we can meet some day. Only thing is that you will have to wait as I am working for the United Nations in Europe and with any luck will be here until the summer of 2008.

One old Vietnam Vet to another Vietnam Vet good luck in the future.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,184,548 times
Nebraska has alot of scenic, historic, and fun underrated places to go that is outside of Omaha and Lincoln... Some that I know of off-hand is
1. a world-class golf resort in the sandhills in Mullen
2. Scenic Sandhills
3. Scenic Badlands
4. Scenic, campout, river rafting Niobrara river
5. A big time Chezch festival in Wilber, Ne
6. A very good danish settlement in Prague, Ne
7. Fort Kearney in Kearney, ne
8. Buffalo Bill's homestead in North Platte, Ne
9. The birth place of Arbor Day in Nebraska City..

And many more, and NONE of them in the Platte River Valley travelling on I-80... well kearney and np close to it but still off of it..

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Well so far I have found Nebraska's insurance carriers to be as business minded as California's , They all want someone in there early 20s or 30s in exellent health and just mail in your monthly premiums . This my freinds is what is going to bring Government covered health care to this country , now I am not saying that Gov. health is the answer but I know of no other way to make the big insurance companies to Lower there standards . I know Im 61yrs. old and overweight and my high blood presure is under control with medication and type 2 diabetes is controled by medications , so whats the problem , are we all not going to pass on eventually ? Its not like Im asking any insurance co. to insure me for Free I am willing to pay the Price . Any hepfull thoughts would be appreciated.
Rooster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska