Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 PM

161 posts, read 562,418 times

Advertisements

I am considering several cities for possible relocation and job transfer, and Lincoln is on the list of possible cities. I currently live in North Dakota. I was there before in 2007 for 3 days, and saw nothing bad. My research has prompted a few question though, and I thought I would come here for some insight.

My first question is about crime. I have read some differing opinions about crime in Lincoln. The city-data.com numbers make it look pretty good for a city of almost 250,000, and others have used the term "low crime". Some say it is high crime though, but then maybe they are comparing it to some small town in Nebraska. What should I expect? Is there a certain part of town to avoid?

Next is about walking. I walked a lot when I was and felt safe. I do not drive because of an eye condition. There are quite a few apartments within reasonable walking distance of where I would be working. There would be times when I would be walking home at 10 or 11pm. Some have written in other threads that they have been stopped and suspected of wrong-doing just for walking at night. Do you think I will have a big problem with this?

Lastly, I have a weather question. I am well aware that Nebraska is prone to thunderstorms and tornadoes. That being said, a places rated almanac gave Lincoln a surprisingly low score for tornado risk. They gave them a 9. Fargo, where I live, got a 31. Wichita got a 50. Is this accurate? How frequently does the city seem to get struck by a tornado? Is there something that keeps Lincoln from being directly hit? Or is the city just as prone as anywhere else in the region and this is just a mistake?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
I would say Lincoln is pretty low crime, especially for a city its size. If there are bad areas its just south of downtown and just east of the University.

Lincoln has a terrific trails system, so you might be able to utilize that for your commute. Where will you be working?

I'm suprised Lincoln is rated that much lower than Fargo. Lincoln can very well be hit by a tornado, in fact I believe a small tornado hit part of Lincoln last year. One of the worst tornadoes in Nebraska history happen south of Lincoln in Hallam. That said the chances of direct hits are pretty small, so don't let it be something that keeps you from moving.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
"There would be times when I would be walking home at 10 or 11pm. Some have written in other threads that they have been stopped and suspected of wrong-doing just for walking at night. Do you think I will have a big problem with this?"
Dakota
If you are walking late at night wouldn't you feel better knowing that there was a police presence?

There are a few areas in Lincoln where walking around late at night is not a very good idea. However Lincoln is still one of the safest cities of its size in the country.

GL2

Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,040 times
I've lived in Lincoln all my 23 years of life and have never seen a tornado INSIDE city limits. I'm not saying it's not possible, because it very well is, it just doesn't happen often. Lincoln is in a valley so most terrible weather breaks up near the city limits and goes around the city, coming back together on the other side of town.

It's pretty safe here really. There's not alot for teenagers to do, so there is some mischief, but normally nothing horrible. Most crime is located around the downtown area, just south of 'O' street and around the University, just like Tpabes.
I'm a woman, and for the most part, feel pretty comfortable walking around at night.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks so much for everyone's replies.

It sounds like Lincoln is pretty safe, except for the minor tennage/college stuff you might find anywhere.

If I were to move there, I would be working and living in the Gateway Mall vicinity. How is this area?

The whole weather thing is kind of interesting. When I was there in 2007, we had a short, but nasty thunderstorm with tons of lightning, but no tornadoes. The threat of tornadoes would definitely not be the deciding factor, especially since the other cities I am considering are in Missouri and Kentucky. So they could happen anywhere.

As far as the whole walking thing, it is nice to know that someone is policing the streets at night and making sure people aren't up to no good. I would hope that they would not have an issue with someone like me who is just going from work or an event to home. I don't want to be stopped and questioned every time I have to walk at night. It will be nice to have some nice trails to walk, although it might be too dark to use them at night.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,040 times
The Gateway Mall is a pretty darn safe area. There's tons of stuff over that way, the mall, a movie theather, a grocery store, banks, place to eat, ect. Gateway is right on 'O' Street, which is the "main" street in Lincoln.
I have a friend that lives just a few blocks north and east of the mall and she loves it. I've never felt unsafe in that area.
There's a walking trail near 70th and O street. (The mall is on about 66th and O Street). It's a pretyt nice trail. I've walked on it a few times, and it's pretyt long.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or ask here! I'll try to help when I can!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM

That's good to hear that the mall area is very safe, and that there is a trail so close.

Just curious what people there have to say about the winters, particularly snow. I live in North Dakota, so I can't imagine it being any worse. Last winter we spent 3 weeks without getting above 5 degrees, and yes, I walked in that wearing 4 layers. I know it will get cold in Nebraska, but is it a little more moderate than that?

How much snow does the city get on average? I saw one report that said 25 inches. Does that sound right? The big problem here since we rarely go above freezing for 4 months, is once it falls in Nov or Dec, it just piles up until it finally starts to melt in April. Does that routinely happen there, or does it get warm enough that old snow can melt within a week or so and then be replaced by new snow?

One other issue in Fargo is wind, almost constant 20mph+ wind. How is it there? The graph on the city-data site did not seem too bad. Highest in Spring. Maybe being in a valley helps.

I will likely be coming to check things out more thoroughly in January, so I'll get a taste of the Nebraska winter then.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
The winters will probably be better than North Dakota. We have our cold spells and can get some nasty wind chills, but we are further south. I'd say that 25 inches of snow is about right. Last year was really abnormal in that we had snow on the ground for a long amount of time. Usually it will warm up enought to melt it away. Its more brown than white most of the winter. The wind does blow here, thats just a trait of the plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska