Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:55 AM

9 posts, read 47,666 times

Advertisements

Hi there

Has anyone on the Nebraska forum (perhaps living near the reservation on the Nebraska side) volunteered at the Pine Ridge Reservation? I know it is SD, but it isn't far from Nebraska border either.

If one were interested in doing that in the future, what towns in Nebraska may be fairly close enough to the Reservation? However, being able to rent an apartment/studio and work also, are factors. Possibly retail stores, non-degree work.

This isn't for the near future. Please respond with ideas. Thanks.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM

139 posts, read 470,523 times
I would suggest Chadron, NE. Although Crawford and Gordon, NE are also nearby. Chadron would have more amenities for sure.

It is exactly 54 and 1/2 miles from Chadron to the community of Pine ridge, SD...about an hour drive.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Chadron would be your best bet, although you might also look into Martin and Hot Springs in South Dakota.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
Why not live on the rez?
We lived on the Standing Rock rez for a number of years when my kids were really little...

If you want to stay in Neb, though, any of the highway 20 towns would work. Chadron is obviously the biggest and has a 4yr college, so is a little more "sophisticated" (I giggle at the thought) than the rest. Personally, I'd pick Crawford just because it's a town I like.

~Erin

Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Does Chadron have department stores like Target or other chains, if I were to try to get a job in retail? What would you think the closest town to the Rez would be from Nebraska that has a Target?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl rose View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Does Chadron have department stores like Target or other chains, if I were to try to get a job in retail? What would you think the closest town to the Rez would be from Nebraska that has a Target?
No Target or big chains (other than a WalMart)... This link should give you a good idea of the various retails...
chadron stores - Google Maps

Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM

370 posts, read 1,356,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl rose View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Chadron has only about 5,000 people, so no Target. Just a Wal-Mart.

The closest Targets would be Rapid City, SD or Scottsbluff, NE.

That area is very rural. Chadron is the largest town in the region on the Nebraska side. Rapid is much bigger, but over an hour away.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 AM

How does the snow affect Chaldron?

Do they lose power alot in the winter? How did the recent blizzard affect that area? Apparently, PIne Ridge got hit.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
The main thing that snow affects in Chadron is travel. Since it is so isolated when a winter storm hits it is more difficult to travel in and out of. I think the last snowstorm was just that, another snow storm. I've never heard of Chadron losing power frequently during storms.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
I lived in Chadron for five years. I don't recall any outages that last more than a few minutes...

~Erin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska