Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,201 times

Advertisements

Who's attacking who? All I mention is its time to repeal Nebraska's Hate Legislation, with a specific appeal to gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
"Hate Legislation" is a purposefully inflammatory term, like "hate crime". MOST physically violent crimes are "hate crimes" - spousal abuse, assault and battery, assualt wth intent, Murder... they all indicate hate of one type or another (even self-hate). To use the appellation of "hate" is to purposefully and intentionally try to inspire fear, justification, and promote loathing to achieve a response based, not on reason or rationality, but emotion. Some of us won't let our emotions be played or preyed upon by those who live for their own self-justification by doing so. Shrug.

Most folks don't really care what other people do in their own lives, homes, and bedrooms - they simply don't shove their personal relationships in their neighbors' faces and expect the same respect for personal boundaries in others. A person does any cause that they support no favors when s/he prefers to caricaturize it, emotionalize it, and two-dimensionalize it rather than to discuss it reasonably and rationally.

Again, JMHO.

Does that explain it better?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM

370 posts, read 1,356,383 times
If you want to at least TRY to make this relevant, maybe you could discuss how the presence of this "hate legislation" prevents or promotes the movement of people into or out of the state of Nebraska.

Can you also please provide a link to EXACTLY what legislation you are referring to? Maybe a statute number, article of the state constitution?

Here is a website that allows you to lookup state laws:

www.nebraskalegislature.gov Or maybe www.justia.com/

Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
At least you're honest.

If you've lived in Nebraska in the last 8 years I don't know how you didn't hear about Initiative 416. It was one of the most far reaching pieces against same sex couples in the country.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
If you want to at least TRY to make this relevant, maybe you could discuss how the presence of this "hate legislation" prevents or promotes the movement of people into or out of the state of Nebraska.

Can you also please provide a link to EXACTLY what legislation you are referring to? Maybe a statute number, article of the state constitution?

Iniaitive 416 became Article I, 29.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
i dont think it should be repealed. i hate gay people and think every state needs anti-gay marriage amendments
I had people like you in mind when I started all the anti-hate threads in this forum. Get over it, 2 hot dudes are gonna get married!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:

When Initiative 416 passed lots of gay people moved out of Nebraska, but then again that's the intent when its hate legislation against gays right? The Initiative even banned civil union and domestic partnerships. The wording is so anti-same sex that it could even extend to a business partnership between 2 men or 2 women.

And the laws that protect race, gender, national origin, religionetc, do not extend to sexual orientation or gender identity. (48-1101)So while its illegal to fire someone for being black or jewish, its not illegal to fire someone for being gay, lesbian or transgender, at least in Nebraska.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
When Initiative 416 passed lots of gay people moved out of Nebraska, but then again that's the intent when its hate legislation against gays right? The Initiative even banned civil union and domestic partnerships. The wording is so anti-same sex that it could even extend to a business partnership between 2 men or 2 women.
Do you have any proof of this? Studies, surveys, reports? Or just anecdotal evidence.

I could make the claim that people moved to Nebraska to get away from liberal pro-gays laws in other states. Can you disprove that?

Maybe it is a quality of life issue that makes people WANT to move to Nebraska. Again, can you disprove that?

Quote:
And the laws that protect race, gender, national origin, religionetc, do not extend to sexual orientation or gender identity. (48-1101)So while its illegal to fire someone for being black or jewish, its not illegal to fire someone for being gay, lesbian or transgender, at least in Nebraska.
I don't recall ever voting for or against any "hate legislation." I never saw that on the ballot. Or is that just a term you coined to support your personal agenda?

If it was a ballot initiative, it must have been voted on by the majority of the people, right? Apparently Nebraska then is a state full of "haters?" Well, then I suppose nobody would want to move here.

Still waiting for the link to a bill, amendment, initiative or statute entitled "hate legislation."

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Do you have any proof of this? Studies, surveys, reports? Or just anecdotal evidence.

I could make the claim that people moved to Nebraska to get away from liberal pro-gays laws in other states. Can you disprove that?

Maybe it is a quality of life issue that makes people WANT to move to Nebraska. Again, can you disprove that? Right because Nebraska is so wonderful with its hate legislation.

I don't recall ever voting for or against any "hate legislation." I never saw that on the ballot. Or is that just a term you coined to support your personal agenda?

If it was a ballot initiative, it must have been voted on by the majority of the people, right? Apparently Nebraska then is a state full of "haters?" Well, then I suppose nobody would want to move here.

Still waiting for the link to a bill, amendment, initiative or statute entitled "hate legislation."
I posted the numbers, not my fault if you missed them. A bill banning gay marriage is hate legislation, a law not inclusive of protections for sexual orientation that are enjoyed by race, sex and national origins can also be considered hate legislation.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I posted the numbers, not my fault if you missed them.
I asked you for a link to "hate legislation." I've yet to see ANY link, let alone anything entitled "hate legislation."

Can you maybe provide a definition of "hate legislation" from a reputable source (I.E. Webster, et al), other than your own opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska