U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 AM

605 posts, read 1,060,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't see any reason why gays should not be allowed to do that.

Would the gay community find it acceptable to drop the "marriage" part and call it a domestic partnership or some such thing? It makes no difference to me personally, but some of the misguided religious zealots might be a little more accepting of that.
As the gay community has learned nationwide, domestic partnerships don't get the benefits marriage receives! Once again, separate is NOT equal!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,015,695 times
He's back!! He's back!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Yes, the gay guy is back! I still have to see a legitimate reason why gays cannot get married. The fact is gay marriage = religious freedom, because there are churches out there that will marry gays, but the gov't says they can't. The conservative fundies also spread the myth that if gay marriage is legal churches will have to marry same-sex couples. This is also not true. The court rulings in California and Iowa specifically stated that their decisions would not force churches to marry same-sex couples, yet the conservative fundies tell lies about the issue. Its sad that churches, like the Catholic, Mormons, Evangelists, etc preach that lying is a sin, yet turn around and lie to gain political momentum and power.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,423,932 times
I have a few questions here.
Older people who do not want to lose their departed spouse's social security often find a minister to marry them, but the union is never reported to the state officials. Why don't ministers who support this do the same? Or, do they? Wouldn't this start a reform of laws, pertaining to freedom of choice and individual rights, if both those who were gay and the older folks 'came out of the closet', so to speak?

I don't really care which consenting adults get married. I don't think it is or should be anyone's business. But the laws that constrain both older people and gays from following their spiritual and social inclinations are many; can't be on the spouse's insurance, can't have a slice of their retirement or SS if they pass, can't legally inherit without a will, can't make legal decisions for them if they are incapacitated... it seems to me that if folks in the same situations combined forces and made statements, they would have more of a vote and a voice. Togetherness and a common goal work better than sneaking or shouting, IMHO.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Older people who do not want to lose their departed spouse's social security
That rule was changed a few years ago, SCGranny. Older couples can now get legally married and not lose a deceased spouse's SS. Not sure what the cut off age is but I think it's 65.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,423,932 times
TY Cunucu Beach; but either the word hasn't gotten out to the older folks or maybe there are restrictions per income levels, etc? Because my mother got married 3 years ago (she was 84, he was 78) and they were told that she would lose hers, he would lose his... They've both passed now so it doesn't matter to me or to them but...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
TY Cunucu Beach; but either the word hasn't gotten out to the older folks or maybe there are restrictions per income levels, etc? Because my mother got married 3 years ago (she was 84, he was 78) and they were told that she would lose hers, he would lose his... They've both passed now so it doesn't matter to me or to them but...
Answer

Don't know how long this new rule has been in effect but the cut off age is 60 for a person to remarry and not lose benefits.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 AM

72,053 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
He's back!! He's back!!!!
I haven't been on the NE board for over a month,busy with lots of things, and yes, the first thing I see this morning: He is back!!!!! At least it gives us something to talk about.

Nita

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

72,053 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
That rule was changed a few years ago, SCGranny. Older couples can now get legally married and not lose a deceased spouse's SS. Not sure what the cut off age is but I think it's 65.
good news, I certainly didn't know that. Of course I don't plan to be a widow soon and I don't plan on re-marriage either, but that is great news, it is about time..

Nita

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good news, I certainly didn't know that. Of course I don't plan to be a widow soon and I don't plan on re-marriage either, but that is great news, it is about time..

Nita
What would be great news is if 2 hot dudes were allowed to marry each other. Or 2 hot chicks were allowed to marry each other. They changed the laws for seniors, one of the biggest groups most opposed to gay marriages. Time for some consideration for gay rights!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska