U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,708,392 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What discrimination is taking place? Gay people have the exact same rights I do. You guys just don't seem to get it, do you? We're not saying you can't get married. You have the same restrictions on marriage that I do.
Although you are technically correct, gay people do not want to marry people of the opposite gender, they cannot be attracted to one, they are born that way and as an unfortunate result of our religion they cannot marry due to what I believe to be a mis translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,361,023 times
Reputation: 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What discrimination is taking place? Gay people have the exact same rights I do. You guys just don't seem to get it, do you? We're not saying you can't get married. You have the same restrictions on marriage that I do.
You guys?!?! lol

Um, I'm a 35 year old woman, happily married to my college sweetheart (who is a man, btw) and we have two children.
Good heavens! I don't have to be gay to be able to see their view point.

The 14th Amendment is very clear. The rights and privileges granted to one group can not be denied to another.
In this case, the right to marry the person of my choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,884 posts, read 13,042,660 times
Reputation: 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Alright gay residents of Nebraska! What do you say? Let's get Nebraska's anti-gay marriage amendment repealed. Its time for marriage equality! Let's also get some legislation passed to include sexual orientation and gender identity into Nebraska's discrimination laws!

if the voters of Nebraska put this Amendment into their state constitution, who has the right to actually call it hate legislation?

does not matter if it is or not, the voters of Nebraska put it there and they think it is not hate legislation.

if you want marriage equality, then why not push to take marriage out of the hands of the state and back into the hands of the church.

keep civil unions in the states hands, but not marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,201,518 times
Reputation: 526
A marriage and a civil union won't work. It's not fair. It's like saying "You can't drink out of this water fountain over here because it's for whites BUT we have this exact same water fountain over here for you colored people."

Separate but equal is not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,095,226 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Although you are technically correct, gay people do not want to marry people of the opposite gender, they cannot be attracted to one, they are born that way and as an unfortunate result of our religion they cannot marry due to what I believe to be a mis translation.
I'm not guaranteed the right to marry based on sexual attraction..why should you be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,884 posts, read 13,042,660 times
Reputation: 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
A marriage and a civil union won't work. It's not fair. It's like saying "You can't drink out of this water fountain over here because it's for whites BUT we have this exact same water fountain over here for you colored people."

Separate but equal is not fair.

then you have to change the minds of the voters. it might be hate legislation to you, but obviously to them it is not.

and calling people racists, hate mongerers and homophobes will most probably not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,201,518 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm not guaranteed the right to marry based on sexual attraction..why should you be?
Yes you are. However your right to marry based on your orientation hasn't been put to a vote.

Sexual orientation isn't based on a choice you make. Consider this though. I know for a fact that you are christian. You were not born a christian but you chose to become one. Now if I don't agree with christianity should I be able to vote on whether you should be able to marry other christians because of a choice you made? Absolutely not.

Some people are born handicapped. Should we say they can't marry people and have kids because the kids might come out handicapped too? One of the main arguments I hear against gay marriage is that people think it's not ideal for children. Well what is the ideal? Most people don't have 2 parents growing up ( I didn't, my mom didn't) and they turn out fine.

There are some outright bigots and homophobes out there but I personally think most people just aren't aware of how many gay people there are and how things like this affect them and their families. It's hard to ignore something once you see it's affects up close. I would just like people to gain perspective on the issue and see how it affects real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41815
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if the voters of Nebraska put this Amendment into their state constitution, who has the right to actually call it hate legislation?

does not matter if it is or not, the voters of Nebraska put it there and they think it is not hate legislation.

if you want marriage equality, then why not push to take marriage out of the hands of the state and back into the hands of the church.

keep civil unions in the states hands, but not marriages.
good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 05:48 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,095,226 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes you are. However your right to marry based on your orientation hasn't been put to a vote.

Sexual orientation isn't based on a choice you make. Consider this though. I know for a fact that you are christian. You were not born a christian but you chose to become one. Now if I don't agree with christianity should I be able to vote on whether you should be able to marry other christians because of a choice you made? Absolutely not.

Some people are born handicapped. Should we say they can't marry people and have kids because the kids might come out handicapped too? One of the main arguments I hear against gay marriage is that people think it's not ideal for children. Well what is the ideal? Most people don't have 2 parents growing up ( I didn't, my mom didn't) and they turn out fine.

There are some outright bigots and homophobes out there but I personally think most people just aren't aware of how many gay people there are and how things like this affect them and their families. It's hard to ignore something once you see it's affects up close. I would just like people to gain perspective on the issue and see how it affects real people.
Sorry. The law doesn't recognize "orientation" or sexual attraction.

That's something that's a little hard to quantify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,819,780 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Sorry. The law doesn't recognize "orientation" or sexual attraction.

That's something that's a little hard to quantify.
It actually does.. 'Between a man and a woman' How can that not be more directly related to orientation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top