U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM

605 posts, read 1,060,734 times

Advertisements

On the 3rd of April there was a rally on the Nebraska side of the Pedestrian bridge celebrating Iowa's 1 year anniversary of gay marriage. Time for Nebraska to follow suit!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,145,256 times
Or just move to Iowa.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,835,998 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Or just move to Iowa.
I'm going to take a guess that you are a religeous folk who believes social laws need to be determined by religeon, and not on the basis of individual freedoms.

To each their own!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,060,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I'm going to take a guess that you are a religeous folk who believes social laws need to be determined by religeon, and not on the basis of individual freedoms.

To each their own!

I fail to see how allowing men to marry men and women to marry women affects them anyway. When the Iowa Supreme Court ruled UNANIMOUSLY in favor of gay marriage they specifically said the ruling would not force churches to marry gay couples. Yet the conservatives and Christian right continue to make the false claim that churches will have to marry gay couples. Completely false. This was the same lie the religious right used to get Prop 8 in California passed. They lied, yet what do their Ten Commandments say about lying? Talk about hate, ignorance and hypocrisy!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,192,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I fail to see how allowing men to marry men and women to marry women affects them anyway. When the Iowa Supreme Court ruled UNANIMOUSLY in favor of gay marriage they specifically said the ruling would not force churches to marry gay couples. Yet the conservatives and Christian right continue to make the false claim that churches will have to marry gay couples. Completely false. This was the same lie the religious right used to get Prop 8 in California passed. They lied, yet what do their Ten Commandments say about lying? Talk about hate, ignorance and hypocrisy!
Talk about stupid...

Regardless of the rightness or wrongness of the Iowa gay marriage legislation, there is no question that sometime in the near future, some gay couple will want to be married in some church. The church will refuse, and the gay couple will sue the church.

It's a given. If it hasn't already happened, it will.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,145,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post

To each their own!
I believe freedom gives you the power to do what is right, not whatever you want. But yes, each to his own.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,653,078 times
There is almost no way a church can be sued for not marrying a gay couple. The Catholic Church (and others) has always refused to marry certain couples on the basis that they don't meet their "requirements."

Being married in a church of your choosing is not even remotely close to a fundamental right.

While I hate to admit it, I agree with Surf on this one.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,363,190 times
That was my immediate thought as well.

Catholic churches have always had rules about who they will and will not marry.
And as far as I can tell, they've never been sued for it.

(Actually, I think I've made this counter-argument already in this thread. A dozen or two pages back. lol)

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,653,078 times
Well, I think the mere fact that the Catholic church doesn't let women be priests is evidence that there is little legal foothold to sue the church.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM

299 posts, read 486,765 times
Default Never thought of Nebraskans as hateful people ...

Is it just me ... Or is anyone else just utterly exhausted of hearing people who don't get what they want, accusing anyone who disagrees with them of hate. .. Sometimes a request is considered, and the answer is simply ... NO.

tiberius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska