Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,465 times

Advertisements

I am seriously curious how many gay couples in Nebraska would be willing to be counted and give their opinion as to for, against, or neutral to a gay marriage law. If there has been a study the same or similar to this could someone please give me a link to that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
WHAT is true? That gays are not allowed to visit people in hospitals? I can assure you, without question, that that is complete and total BS. Anybody - and I do mean ANYBODY - can go up to the information counter and ask for the room number of a patient. They will give it to you. Period.
Unless direct relatives specifically state that certain people are not allowed.
The argument hasn't been made that NO ONE is allowed to see their partner.
The argument is that sometimes that happens because there is nothing protecting the partnership. Legally speaking, the partner has no claim. Parents would be legal next-of-kin. Like I said, gay partnership wills/next-of-kin/living will/DNRs/etc. are challenged regularly and all too often, over-turned.

On the other hand, legally speaking, my husband is MY next of kin. It is FAR more difficult to challenge anything drawn up concerning the two of us because the fact that we're married carries a lot of legal weight.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Unless direct relatives specifically state that certain people are not allowed.
The argument hasn't been made that NO ONE is allowed to see their partner.
The argument is that sometimes that happens because there is nothing protecting the partnership. Legally speaking, the partner has no claim. Parents would be legal next-of-kin. Like I said, gay partnership wills/next-of-kin/living will/DNRs/etc. are challenged regularly and all too often, over-turned.

On the other hand, legally speaking, my husband is MY next of kin. It is FAR more difficult to challenge anything drawn up concerning the two of us because the fact that we're married carries a lot of legal weight.
Right.

But what I'm talking about is simple hospital visitation. You hear these sob stories about how gays are denied simple hospital visitation, just because they're gay.

I can assure you that that is pure BS.

My job regularly takes me in and out of hospitals. If I don't know the room number of my client, I go to the information counter and ask. Sometimes I'm wearing a suit, sometimes office-casual, sometimes jeans & a shirt. Not once - NEVER - have I been asked why I was there, or what the purpose was of my visit. For all they know, I could be gay. So why aren't they frisking me and demanding proof of my heterosexuality?

The only exception is when the patient is in the mental health area of the hospital. THAT is when I'm asked for ID, credentials, and the purpose of my visit. But even that has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Right.

But what I'm talking about is simple hospital visitation. You hear these sob stories about how gays are denied simple hospital visitation, just because they're gay.
I guess I've never heard that one.
I HAVE read about patients who are dying, or in ICU, etc., being denied visitation by a partner, but never a simple hospital visit...

Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I guess I've never heard that one.
I HAVE read about patients who are dying, or in ICU, etc., being denied visitation by a partner, but never a simple hospital visit...
What's the difference?

I'm (obviously) here in Omaha. It's a medical city, with quite a few large hospitals. They all operate pretty much the same way, regarding visitation of patients. I have never had any of them approach me, or stop me, from doing my job.

It seems to me that there are some mis-informed gays that are claiming discrimination, when there is no discrimination at all.

There ARE a lot of times when visitation is restricted. For instance, in OR Prep Rooms, they'll only allow 1-2 visitors. But that has nothing to do with homosexuality. It has to do with possible contamination of a semi-sterile environment, and it has everything to do with the staff being able to successfully prep the patient for surgery.

In the ER, some hospitals are very restrictive about visitation. But that has nothing to do with homosexuality either. It has to do with the doctors and nurses being able to do their jobs without a bunch of people getting in the way.

Then there are those extremely pesky HIPA laws. It's probably easy to mistakenly think you're being discriminated against, but that's not the case.

There are times when homosexuals are discriminated against - in the exact same way that everybody is discriminated against.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 AM

I can't decide if you're deliberately misunderstanding or just genuinely don't get what we're talking about here.

If you genuinely don't get it, I would suggest doing some research on the subject. I assure you, this is not an invention.
If the next-of-kin makes the determination to restrict visitation, they have a legal right to do so.
A gay partner is not next of kin in most states.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 05-04-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,316 times
Quote:
So you are saying that people are making wills designating their gay partner as next-of-kin and they are regularly being dismissed by the courts simply because the person is homosexual? Then re-assigning the next-of-kin responsibility to kids or family?

How often do straight people designate their boyfriend/girlfriend their next-of-kin and get it tossed out? Are you sure it's only because the person is homosexual and not because the court thinks the family has the better interest for the patient?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I can't decide if you're deliberately misunderstanding or just genuinely don't get what we're talking about here.

If you genuinely don't get it, I would suggest doing some research on the subject. I assure you, this is not an invention.
If the next-of-kin makes the determination to restrict visitation, they have a legal right to do so.
A gay partner is not next of kin in most states.
First of all, I understand fully what you're talking about. Do you understand what I'm saying? The next-of-kin can restrict ANYBODY for ANY REASON from visiting a family member in the hospital. Heterosexual, homosexual, whatever... The next-of-kin can keep me from visiting a client. Shouldn't I be screaming about discrimination?

Second, can you provide evidence - any evidence - of somebody being denied a hospital visit simply because he/she was gay?

Third, if you show up at the hospital looking like this guy, you'll probably be kicked out - as you should be. Gay or straight, whatever... And don't complain about discrimination. Learn some manners.
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:

Third, if you show up at the hospital looking like this guy, you'll probably be kicked out - as you should be. Gay or straight, whatever... And don't complain about discrimination. Learn some manners.
What in the world was that third point about??!!! That is just flat out insulting, I mean really? Are you that.......? What was the freaking point of saying that???!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
First of all, I understand fully what you're talking about. Do you understand what I'm saying? The next-of-kin can restrict ANYBODY for ANY REASON from visiting a family member in the hospital. Heterosexual, homosexual, whatever... The next-of-kin can keep me from visiting a client. Shouldn't I be screaming about discrimination?

Do you have intimate relations with your clients? Are you committed to them as a spouse would be? No? Then we are talking apples and oranges here...
Second, can you provide evidence - any evidence - of somebody being denied a hospital visit simply because he/she was gay?

I'll do a search after LOST....
And if you showed up at the hospital looking like this guy you'll probably be kicked out as well. I mean - all straight guys in Nebraska are gun toting rednecks, right? I got a picture right here showing it!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska