Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Don't most, if not all, states have something called a " civil union " which gays can enter into .. which gives them the legal rights of a spouse?. Its not called a marriage, but then I think marriage is a religious term which carried over to the secular arena.. So even though you couldn't call your union a marriage, you'd still be legally joined.. And I expect there's some type of card or paper you could have in your wallet, which would vouch for your situation, and gain you access into the hospital's restricted areas..
In short, No

Dark blue allows same sex marriage
Blue allows civil unions
Light blue grants certain rights
Dark grey recognizes same sex marriages performed elsewhere
Light grey, no laws regarding anything
Pink, Statute banning same sex marriage
Red, constitution bans same sex marriage
Dark Red, Constitution bans same sex marriage and civil unions.

So sorry tiberius, but you are most definitely wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 PM

299 posts, read 566,282 times
Default Thanks Go Ne ... and nice map, too.....

I stand corrected Go Ne.. While I'm admittedly against same sex marriage .. I think a "civil union" should be allowed.. And in all states. ..... As long as it's understood, and so written, that it isn't a legal stepping stone to expanding "marriage", then not allowing it ISN'T LOGICAL.

tiberius

Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
I am also against "gay marriage" but am in favor of an appropriate civil union.
I am a recovering homophobe thanks to "Steve" (if your gay and have been to teh MAX u know Steve as a long time Omaha gay resident or by his age and lazy eye do to a hate/gay attack. )

But still you have to get you sh$t together on the internet.

As I have posted once and should set up a copy and paste statement.

Anytime a political position is grandstanded and shoved in my face I will have a bad response.
Including but not limited to ,,,,,,, gay marriage, gun control, property tax, etc.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
I stand corrected Go Ne.. While I'm admittedly against same sex marriage .. I think a "civil union" should be allowed.. And in all states. ..... As long as it's understood, and so written, that it isn't a legal stepping stone to expanding "marriage", then not allowing it ISN'T LOGICAL.

tiberius
hahaha Yeah wikipedia can make a map for anything.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Don't most, if not all, states have something called a " civil union " which gays can enter into .. which gives them the legal rights of a spouse?
No.
Most states either have a constitutional amendment or a statute that specifically bans both gay marriage and gay union.

There are only four or five states that actually grant same-sex marriages and/or unions, and only another two or three that will recognize them from states that allow them.
Nebraska is neither.

(ETA: My apologies! I should have turned the page to see that Go Ne already pointed this out and with a colorful map and everything. lol)

Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I'm not sure why the government is involved in marriage anyway. Why not just make it so all marriages are church marriage's and/or legal agreements to be determined by the two parties with a lawyer.
I'm sick of paying for heterosexual marriages. I have absolutely nothing against gay marriage but don't want to add to the government paying for it either.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
The federal government needs to stay out of it all together. It should be left to the states. People against and people for can hide in their respective states and live under the laws that support their lifestyle.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
The federal government needs to stay out of it all together. It should be left to the states. People against and people for can hide in their respective states and live under the laws that support their lifestyle.
I think marriage belongs to the people and those they love, not the states.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I think the institution of marriage doesn't belong to people or states, it belongs to God. However, what the legal definition of marriage is, belongs to the government. Making laws to uphold civilization is one of the main reasons why we have a government. Saying they shouldn't be making laws restricting us from doing whatever we feel like is contradictory to the purpose of government...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Then why worry about what the state says?

Just get married and don't file - since marriage doesn't belong to the state! I know heterosexual couples who have done EXACTLY that.

This really is NOT that hard to figure out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska