Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I think the institution of marriage doesn't belong to people or states, it belongs to God. However, what the legal definition of marriage is, belongs to the government. Making laws to uphold civilization is one of the main reasons why we have a government. Saying they shouldn't be making laws restricting us from doing whatever we feel like is contradictory to the purpose of government...
Marriage has been around a lot longer than Christianity. Christians didn't invent it. The legal definition is what gays want changed, it has nothing to do with religion. Its not going to change religious marriages. Making a law to allow gay marriage will uphold current civilization as we know it. Deal with it. So let the gov't restrict us from banning gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Then why worry about what the state says?

Just get married and don't file - since marriage doesn't belong to the state! I know heterosexual couples who have done EXACTLY that.

This really is NOT that hard to figure out!
We spoke of this before, straight marriages get special rights gay couples don't get! Educate yourself on this issue, stop being ignorant about gay marriage, and civil rights protections for gays.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
We spoke of this before, straight marriages get special rights gay couples don't get! Educate yourself on this issue, stop being ignorant about gay marriage, and civil rights protections for gays.
So you're after special rights and special privileges. Got it.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
So you're after special rights and special privileges. Got it.
We want the same right privileges straight marriages are getting, since they ALREADY get special rights with marriages. Like I said, educate yourself.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
We want the same right privileges straight marriages are getting, since they ALREADY get special rights with marriages. Like I said, educate yourself.
Like I said, stop your whining and go across the river & get married in Iowa.

No wait... You really don't want that, do you?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Nope, gay marriage should be available in all 50 states, just like straight marriages.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Nope, gay marriage should be available in all 50 states, just like straight marriages.
In other words, you just want to sit on your butt and cry.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Tell me, what is the purpose of marriage?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:

Probably not, since it still wouldn't be valid in 44 states, nor count for any Federal benefits (such as social security, which Omahe Rocks pays into but his/her spouse will not get benefits from no matter how stable and longterm their committed relationship). All Rocks is asking for is the SAME--not "special"--legal treatment of his life partnership that any hetero couple (including Britney Spears in her "24-hour" marriage in Vegas) gets instantly, no questions asked. Wake up and realize that marriage is a LEGAL contract; churches can do what they want (some already have odd rules, such as Catholic churches that require some members to "annul" marriages that were decades long, due to their own rules--that's their right, but it shouldn't affect legal treatment of the couple's relationship to each other).

Old 05-29-2010, 08:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
In other words, you just want to sit on your butt and cry.
He's right. It should be legal in all 50 states.
This is a civil rights issue pure and simple.

Rights granted to some citizens cannot be denied to others.
This is the Constitution here, guys. Fourteenth ammendment.

It doesn't matter whatsoever if you disagree with gay marriage anymore than it mattered when people disagreed with de-segregation. You can not give special treatment to one group over another (in this case, straight people over gay).

It's only a matter of time before gay discrimination laws (including exclusion from marriage) are struck down due to their unconstitutionality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska