Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Nita,

The marriage rights that the gays seek have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with religion! "Marriage" is a state defined union. In fact, there are churches who will religiously marry gay couples, but the state won't recognize it.

To suggest its a religious ceremony is to completely miss the point. What about athiest or agnostics heterosexual couples? They can go down to any courthouse in the U.S. and get married.

Further, the definition given by your foster daughter is only HER definition.

There are many who would say marriage is the state recognized union between two people who want to devote their lives to each other.

Even further, gays aren't saying the world revolves around them and why should they have to give and take?? Would you "give and take" if you thought your fundamental rights were being violated? By the way, the Supreme Court has ruled that "marriage" is a fundamental right.

Finally, I don't quite understand why you think DTO Luv can't be reasoned with?! Basically, because he isn't agreeing with you he can't be reasoned with. That nearly by definition is an unreasonable stance to have.
ok, I am going to say all I have to say on this subject. It has been run into the ground, with no one convincing anyone else as to what is right or wrong: as for the marriage laws, my daughter beleives in domestic partnership but not in acutally marriage. I happen to work in an industry that has a high percentage of gays, the ones I have spoken with (and that isn't all of them by any means) pretty much agree. Either they don't see the reason for legalizing marriage as long as they have domestic partnership laws in their state. Most have said they probably would not marry if it was legal and I will add, the ones I am referring to have been with partners for 10 or more years. Again this is not all, by anymeans.

As for DTO Luv not agreeing with me, to some degree what you say is true, the other side, no matter how many of us (me included) are saying we agree with much of what he says, but not all, he still thinks we are out to get the gay world. Is that being reasonable?? I don't know, but I think you have not been reading this post since it started back a few months ago.

Now, as for you and your almost law degrre, congratulations. I know this isn't an easy task for anyone. I hope you become a successful lawyer in the future, but please don't become an arrogant one like so many others. I will add to that, I know you have some knowledge of the law from your training but I hope you realize what you have now, is mostly just book learning. And a little knowledge can do more harm than good. We have a granddaughter who is about to get a degree in another field but one that also requires a lot of hard work. She is delightful as many young people are, interesting, fun to watch as her life develops and her carreer takes shape, but even her husband and parents are laughing and crying at the same time; why, cause she knows just enough to think she knows is all..

Nita

now I am out of here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

As for DTO Luv he still thinks we are out to get the gay world. Is that being reasonable??

You must be thinking of someone else because I never said that.

And as matt said if churches don't want to perform a marriage ceremony, fine. We're not pushing for church marriages. We're asking for nothing more than to go down to a courthouse and get a marriage license.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
We're asking for nothing more than to go down to a courthouse and get a marriage license.
I don't see any reason why gays should not be allowed to do that.

Would the gay community find it acceptable to drop the "marriage" part and call it a domestic partnership or some such thing? It makes no difference to me personally, but some of the misguided religious zealots might be a little more accepting of that.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Nita,

For the record, I have quite a bit more than "book learning." I'm 33 years old with a wife, 2 children, a Ph.D. in physics, and plenty of experience. I have given talks around the U.S. and the World and have much more under my belt than a few years of law school. Law school isn't that big of deal, I brought it up simply because you were suggesting an authority's view because of "your husband's position."

Further, when it comes to constitutional law it is nearly all "book learned." It is a very very doctrinal subject. And you learn the law by studying the actual supreme court cases...NOT by reading news headlines and CNN. If you would read the supreme court cases and the actual constitution you would very quickly realize why and how your proposal is untenable.

So, in sum, you have no clue as to my background or my experiences and I'm sorry to say on the issue of Constitutionality and what it takes to overturn legislation and public initiatives you're simply misguided as to the mechanics of the judicial process and the intent of the founding fathers when establishing judicial review in the first place. I guess maybe you know just enough to think you know everything.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 02-03-2009 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't see any reason why gays should not be allowed to do that.

Would the gay community find it acceptable to drop the "marriage" part and call it a domestic partnership or some such thing? It makes no difference to me personally, but some of the misguided religious zealots might be a little more accepting of that.
You would think so, but no. We're not looking to have an exception made for gay marriage. We just want to have marriage. Plus in some places there are still differences between civil unions and marriages so they aren't equal.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:56 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
You would think so, but no. We're not looking to have an exception made for gay marriage. We just want to have marriage. Plus in some places there are still differences between civil unions and marriages so they aren't equal.

And let's not forget that Nebraska passed Initiative 416 back in 2000, with a 70% vote. 416 bans all gay marriages, gay civil unions and gay domestic partnerships in Nebraska. Tell me that is not bigotry.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
*In horror movie voice* He's back!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,446 times
I've never left, just been occupied with plans for future protests, including the one next Friday.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM

696 posts, read 1,725,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
It HAS to be a hate crime! I'm not a vegan, and I hit a vegan with my car. It HAS to be a hate crime!

Right over the top of your head...
No

It is only a hate crime if you did it intentionally because you hate Vegans.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
You did get sarcasm do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska