U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,866 times
Default Question about Hastings, Nebraska.

I am considering moving to Hastings, Nebraska. The question I have is, are there any racially motivated problems in Hastings? I am white, and my wife is black. She is by no means "ghetto" or anything of that sort, she is very educated and has a college education. I saw that out of the 25,XXX people in Hastings, 90% of the population are white, and I know racism works both ways of course, but I have witnessed staring and dirty looks towards her from whites before, and she does not seem to notice. I just don't want her to be treated any differently because she is black, she sure doesn't treat anybody else differently because they are white or purple (she voted McCain, because she voted on politics not color). She and I would love to move to Hastings, but I am doing some research to make sure it will be safe for her, mentally, and physically. Please be honest.

Last edited by miz10; 12-11-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM

369 posts, read 766,262 times
I lived in Hastings for 13 years. Great town. Our neighbor was a black man married to a white woman and their son was one of our sons' best friend. Another one of our sons' best friends was the son of a black woman married to an Indian (from India). One couple was very blue collar, the other very white collar. Both couples were very well accepted and I know of no problems either of them had.

Not knowing what kind of area you are moving from, I'm not sure what you're used to, but while the town is predominantly white, it isn't stuck in the 60's.

I see no reason why she should have any problems.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,372,381 times
IsThisOneTaken is right, you shouldn't have any problems. You could possibly get some stares because honestly its not something you see too much of around this area, but this would be the minority of people. The majority won't care. What brings you to Hastings?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,814 times
I lived in Adams county about 5 years ago and saw no problems there with race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska