U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 40,188 times
Default Does anyone else besides me -- HATE LINCOLN?

I moved to Lincoln 1 1/2 years ago and I hate it. The people here are absolute *******s. They drive like maniacs and have no clue on how to be polite. The taxes are out of this world, and for what -- so we can have a crooked police department and bad roads. WFT. I guess what really disappoints me is I expected people to be friendly and courtious being we are in the midwest. Boy I sure was wrong. Everyone here seems to be angry about something, and they stare at you like some stupid cattle that is being lead into the slaughter house. WHY DON"T YOU DUMB ****"S MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! The thing that really sucks is that I bought a house when I first moved here so now I'm stuck due to the housing market taking a dive. Sorry for the rant, but I would really like to hear from people who feel the same way I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Can't comment, I like Lincoln - don't live there but would consider it if needed to... hope you find something to make you happy, life would really suck living in a place with such a bad attitude and in a place that you hated...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM

188 posts, read 234,672 times
I am so glad i moved out of there. I was only there for 3 months and that was it. People are rude, i dont know maybe because i am hispanic, i even had some kid yell a racial slur to me and i had never experienced the looks and rudeness anywhere i went in the U.S. Maybe if Lincoln was more diverse, i am not sure what the problem is, but i wont make a big deal out of it, its only Nebraska, who cares. My duty is just to warn people about the place. The only thing i love about Lincoln is that its my wife's hometown.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 114,705 times
Quote:
The taxes are out of this world
IMO Yes the taxes are high and changes are needed.

Quote:
so we can have a crooked police department
Please state a incident that is documented, otherwise don't make accusations you can't back up.

Quote:
bad roads
Yes the roads are extremely bad, especially for the tax burden we pay.

Quote:
The thing that really sucks is that I bought a house when I first moved here so now I'm stuck due to the housing market taking a dive
How are you stuck? Sell the house and take a loss if you must. At least you will be out of the town that you hate so much.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,941,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I am so glad i moved out of there. I was only there for 3 months and that was it. People are rude, i dont know maybe because i am hispanic, i even had some kid yell a racial slur to me and i had never experienced the looks and rudeness anywhere i went in the U.S. Maybe if Lincoln was more diverse, i am not sure what the problem is, but i wont make a big deal out of it, its only Nebraska, who cares. My duty is just to warn people about the place. The only thing i love about Lincoln is that its my wife's hometown.
Arizona is a world class hole.. So, we both have valid opinions.. and I try to warn people of your state..

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,734,651 times
Guess what guys? There are rude people, racists, and bad drivers in every city in the U.S.!!

I always love how some person condemns an entire city because "some guy yelled a racial slur." Well...what's your point. There is not one single city in the country where racism doesn't exist. And as far as diversity goes, Lincoln tracks the minority distribution of the rest of the country.

Maybe when you're miserable and in the mood to judge everyone else around you its time to take a look in the mirror! Do you really think its just everyone else around you causing the problem?? If that's the case then the problem is probably YOU!

Truth is I don't know anyone in Lincoln that would care at all that you are a minority. Maybe you need to stop with the unbelievable degree of narcissism and understand people don't really care. If you would recognize that you are not at the center of everyone's thoughts then maybe you could walk through a crowd without THINKING everyone is glaring out you...which I assure you they are not.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 01-18-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM

867 posts, read 1,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskanass View Post
I expected people to be friendly and courtious being we are in the midwest... thing that really sucks is that I bought a house when I first moved here so now I'm stuck due to the housing market taking a dive. Sorry for the rant, but I would really like to hear from people who feel the same way I do.
I am sorry you are unhappy. I know how miserable it can be to live somewhere you do not love, to say the least. Sometimes if you hate a place that much, you just have to take the financial hit and get out.

Having said that... There are unfriendly, rude people everywhere. I often hear how friendly people are in the Midwest and from my experiences living in a few major cities around the country as well as in Omaha, I found that - in general - people there were not overwhelmingly more friendly NOR overwhelmingly less friendly than anywhere else. I love where I live now, but there are certainly rude people (especially encountered when shopping or driving) here as well as friendly folks.

I am also surprised that you bought a house right when you moved to a new city. I would have difficulty doing that; I always prefer to rent for a while before buying. Even though I spent many years in San Antonio when I was growing up, we still chose not to buy when moving here initially just because we wanted to be 100% sure we wanted to put down roots here again (which ended up being a good thing as we also encountered problems selling our house in Omaha - luckily we are now renting it out so we no longer are paying both rent here and mortgage there).

Anyway, I really do sympathize with living someplace you are unhappy. Would it be possible for you to do as we did and rent out your home so that you can move elsewhere?
I never lived in Lincoln, but certainly spent plenty of time there visiting friends, attending a relative's sporting events (NOT Husker games), etc. I didn't encounter any of the things you are relaying here, but as I never lived there and only visited, I cannot purport to be as familiar with it as someone who experiences daily life there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
As I said above, I never lived in Lincoln - just visited fairly often. However, my husband is Hispanic and we never ran into anyone staring, being rude, or hurling racial insults. I just hate to think of maligning an entire city because of the actions of one person yelling a racial slur (or of all of these people giving you looks, which still certainly would not equate to the entire populace). Certainly racial slurs are not to be forgiven, but it's hard to blame a city for the actions of one (or a few).

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 AM

9 posts, read 40,188 times
Thanks everyone for their input. When I first moved here I put money down on a house and I had to wait a month before all the paper work to go through. So I ended up renting an apartment by the East Campus. That was another mistake I made, because I looked at and moved into the apartment during the day time when everything was nice and quiet. So I move in and as soon as night hit the whole place turned into Compton. Drug dealers, gang bangers, pimps, hookers -- you get the picture. There where several times I saw the police sitting in their patrol cars and watching drug deals going down, pimps walking by with their hookers and nobody seeming to mind that the cops were in the parking lot. I also notice some of the officers nodding to the gang bangers after transactions were done. Now if that isn't crooked cops then I guess I don't understand the meaning of crooked. Also what is up with the demographics of Lincoln? -- but that is another story completely. Watch the news and you'll understand where I'm going with this.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 AM

188 posts, read 234,672 times
You are right, I shouldnt judge the town from a bad experience, there will be racism and rude people everywhere you go. But having lived in several different states my point was that both myself and people I know encountered more of those things in Lincoln that anywhere else. I met great people in Nebraska as well, and Lincoln is a very nice and clean town. To each their own i guess.....

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 114,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskanass View Post
Thanks everyone for their input. When I first moved here I put money down on a house and I had to wait a month before all the paper work to go through. So I ended up renting an apartment by the East Campus. That was another mistake I made, because I looked at and moved into the apartment during the day time when everything was nice and quiet. So I move in and as soon as night hit the whole place turned into Compton. Drug dealers, gang bangers, pimps, hookers -- you get the picture. There where several times I saw the police sitting in their patrol cars and watching drug deals going down, pimps walking by with their hookers and nobody seeming to mind that the cops were in the parking lot. I also notice some of the officers nodding to the gang bangers after transactions were done. Now if that isn't crooked cops then I guess I don't understand the meaning of crooked. Also what is up with the demographics of Lincoln? -- but that is another story completely. Watch the news and you'll understand where I'm going with this.

EAST CAMPUS!!!! You have got to be kidding, right? I would walk thru there naked with money tied to me and not be worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska