Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving to McCook, Ne. either late this year or 2010. We are meeting with a realtor in June to look at some houses.

We also would consider a small piece of land (1 to 5 acres) or just a lot within 5 miles or so of McCook. Need to know how much it would cost to have all utilities in and cost of land?

The only lots we see are golf course and 33 miles away near Trenton NE.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 144,032 times
Try Alabama Land for Sale, Alabama Farms for Sale, Alabama Ranches for Sale. They have a good amount of listings in Alabama. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashannon View Post
Try Alabama Land for Sale, Alabama Farms for Sale, Alabama Ranches for Sale. They have a good amount of listings in Alabama. Good luck.
Could not find any land for sale in Alabama for McCook Nebraska.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Don't know if this will help you or not but you might try contacting McCook Real Estate Cooperative - McCook, Nebraska I live close to McCook but have no idea how to advise you as to property values or costs. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
What prices are you looking for?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM

137 posts, read 615,115 times
Default McCook And Beyond

What you are looking for may not be listed for sale. There are abandoned farmstead properties in Red Willow country that might be for sale if the farmer that owns the land thought someone would buy it. You may have to drive around a lot, find a suitable location "abandoned" piece of property, and go searching for the owner if that appeals to you. The county should have a plat map that shows who own what to save asking a lot of questions of the wrong people, and sometimes an out of state person even owns the property.

My wife and I purchaed a 5 acre farmstead 25 miles east of McCook a little over a year ago. There is a lot to consider about moving to the country and a couple of the things you should consider are road conditions, and surrounding farming operations. We live 4 miles north of Cambridge, but our gravel road is on the mail and school bus route and receives regular maintenance. Some of these roads could be a real nightmare depending on where you live and how much mositure gets deposited. Farming and livestock operations may not bother you, but the wind blows from every direction so you can get some different aroma's now and then and chemicals are used whether you like the idea or not.

The people around here are the best, and we couldn't be happier with our choice of places to live. If you are interested, you can read a blog that I write on the McCook Gazette website called "The City Slickers". If you read the archived blog entries from the start, you will be able to read our story of finding, moving, and fitting in to rural Nebraska from a metropolitan area.

As far as golf course lots, I believe the city of Cambridge has free golf course lots for those willing to build a new home there.

Good Luck!
Brian

Last edited by Off Pavement; 02-11-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: additional information...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Pavement View Post
What you are looking for may not be listed for sale. There are abandoned farmstead properties in Red Willow country that might be for sale if the farmer that owns the land thought someone would buy it. You may have to drive around a lot, find a suitable location "abandoned" piece of property, and go searching for the owner if that appeals to you. The county should have a plat map that shows who own what to save asking a lot of questions of the wrong people, and sometimes an out of state person even owns the property.

My wife and I purchaed a 5 acre farmstead 25 miles east of McCook a little over a year ago. There is a lot to consider about moving to the country and a couple of the things you should consider are road conditions, and surrounding farming operations. We live 4 miles north of Cambridge, but our gravel road is on the mail and school bus route and receives regular maintenance. Some of these roads could be a real nightmare depending on where you live and how much mositure gets deposited. Farming and livestock operations may not bother you, but the wind blows from every direction so you can get some different aroma's now and then and chemicals are used whether you like the idea or not.

The people around here are the best, and we couldn't be happier with our choice of places to live. If you are interested, you can read a blog that I write on the McCook Gazette website called "The City Slickers". If you read the archived blog entries from the start, you will be able to read our story of finding, moving, and fitting in to rural Nebraska from a metropolitan area.

As far as golf course lots, I believe the city of Cambridge has free golf course lots for those willing to build a new home there.

Good Luck!
Brian

Thanks for some good info. As for road conditions ect. I grew up on large ranch south of McCook so no what to expect there. We will be buying a 4x4 so will help some. Wife needs to work in some type of hospital or nursing facility in Dietary. So Cambridge might work. I worked on Railroad in Cambridge in 70's and lived there too.

We have no problem with country or town and when we come in June we will drive around looking like you said and I will ask neighbors my parents knew when growing up that still live in area also. Our price range will be in 50 to 80,000.00 range with 20 to 40 % down. We are really excited to move and are waiting on my disabillity now, that will hopefully come in august to Dec. this year. We will keep posting any updates.

Thanks to all info so far.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,592 times
Good Afternoon! We are in the process of wanting to downsize and move into the City of McCook. We currently own a small acreage (3.5 acres), home built in 1994 (5 bed 2 bath), 30x40 heated shop, addl 1 car garage, established tree line. All of this within 4 miles of town. Our home over looks the City lights at night and unobstructed views all around. It's an established neighborhood but everyone is still private. Interested? Drop me a line at [email]Modcut- save contact info for DMs please

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-08-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 11,592 times
Just wanted to add to the above post....it's listed with an agent so upon contacting us I'll give you her information.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannalivefree View Post
Just wanted to add to the above post....it's listed with an agent so upon contacting us I'll give you her information.
Sounds like a nice place but probably out of our price range. (50 to80k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska