Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 83,280 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at relocating this summer and am narrowing down my search so I am wondering if there is a spot in Nebraska I would like based on the following factors:

I am a single male in my late 30's. I am independent, laid-back and generally quiet. I don't need a lot of friends but don't want to be treated like an outcast and would want to get to know a few people.

I don't mind hard, physical, outdoor labor but due to physical limitations I am unable to frequently twist or stand for long periods of time. Most of my experience is in the low-paying social service or hospitality industry. I'm not opposed to returning to school to further my education but don't want to feel that I have to in order to stay up with the cost of living.

During the spring, summer and fall I'm quite active and always finding things to do. During the winter however, I tend to hibernate and would like to find an area with a somewhat active winter scene (ie: hockey team, basketball team, festivals etc)

I don't mind a small town or a large city but would prefer to stay away from urban sprawl.

I have visited Nebraska. Really enjoyed the area around Scottsbluff but how's the economy there? What about the rest of the state? (Grand Island, Hastings, Lincoln, Omaha etc.)

Any insight/ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 PM

8 posts, read 24,538 times
It sounds like you'd feel at home in either Kearney or Lincoln.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
The economy isn't as bad here as many parts of the nation, but isn't exactly rosy either. It can be tough to find a good job as many plants have experienced layoffs and there is lots of competition for the work that is out there. I couldn't give you specifics on Scottsbluff, but wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't similar to the rest of Nebraska.

Omaha and Lincoln are going to be your best bets for finding winter things to do because of their size. Kearney does have a minor league hockey team and also college sports (Division II).

I know its not Nebraska, but Rapid City, SD sounds like a city that might fit you really well!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
restam - Your criteria can be met in ALOT of cities around Nebraska.
What is your definition of urban sprawl? Because both Omaha and Lincoln have that to some extent just because they are the biggest cities.
Tons of cities also have many activities for all seasons. Plus, usually if you go to a town or a city with an open mind and a good attitude, you won't feel like an outcast.
So, it's really hard to give you any choices because there are SO many wonderful cities and towns here that you might like.
If you could be less generic about your wants, maybe I could help you out more.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM

28 posts, read 83,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
restam - Your criteria can be met in ALOT of cities around Nebraska.
What is your definition of urban sprawl? Because both Omaha and Lincoln have that to some extent just because they are the biggest cities.
Tons of cities also have many activities for all seasons. Plus, usually if you go to a town or a city with an open mind and a good attitude, you won't feel like an outcast.
So, it's really hard to give you any choices because there are SO many wonderful cities and towns here that you might like.
If you could be less generic about your wants, maybe I could help you out more.

Good luck!
Hi-

I guess my idea of "urban sprawl" is areas that have no character, just wide streets and a lot of traffic. The strip-mall and big-box store mentality so to speak. while I understand there will be big box stores and strip malls no matter where I go I don't want to feel like that's the town, but rather just a part of it. Does that help?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM

119 posts, read 438,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restam View Post
Hi-

I guess my idea of "urban sprawl" is areas that have no character, just wide streets and a lot of traffic. The strip-mall and big-box store mentality so to speak. while I understand there will be big box stores and strip malls no matter where I go I don't want to feel like that's the town, but rather just a part of it. Does that help?
You would probably feel pretty good in the older parts of Omaha, like downtown to Midtown areas. There is lots of traffic sometimes (mild compared to other cities), but they definitely have character!

The way Omaha has developed, you can drive through sprawl and hit pockets of character. As Omaha got bigger, it annexed smaller communities and many of those have retainied their old charm.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
Then I would certainly look more towards the older parts of cities.
Omaha is amazing, but if you want more of an "old town feel" stay away from West Omaha, look more towards downtown, Dundee and the Old Market area. In Lincoln, those areas are mostly concentrated downtown and in the Haymarket. Stay away from far north and far south Lincoln.
The more smaller towns you'll more easily be able to find what you're looking for because they haven't been "taken over" yet. Atleast for the most part.
Waverly, right outside Lincoln, is starting to get more of a "urban sprawl" feel because of the new houses going up out there.
Most every city and town has what you're looking for, you just have to look in the right places.

I wish I could help you more!! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times
Default ..

Omaha is a good option like the others have stated..

Lincoln is a great option too..

But, I believe another great option to those two above is the tri-cities area of Grand Island, Hastings and Kearney..

I know that some people do not realize this, but this area in the last ten years is growing some niche type of infrastructure that you only see in regions of 200,000+ people..

The reason this is hapenning is for the following reasons:
A)Grand Island is near 50,000 people, Kearney is now over 30,000 and Hastings is approaching 26,000 people.
B)In just three counties the population is nearing 200,000 people. This area has a draw that has the look of a major metropolitan area type of draw that affects well over 350,000 citizens daily lives.
C)This region has more pull, more infrastructure, more things to do than metropolitan areas of Sioux City IA, St joseph MO, Cheyenne or Casper WY, Topeka KS, Manhattan KS, Dubuque IA and etc..
D)It's population growth is not only bucking rural decline, but is growing at pace or better than many of the regions metropolitan areas.
E)Most importantly, this region has relative diversity of people, education and jobs.

DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS AREA.. You will be pleasantly surprise whether you choose to live her or not, you will see that it does fit your criteria and more..

....This coming from a longtime resident of Omaha/Lincoln

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM

40 posts, read 110,802 times
I too, have been cheering on the growth and development of the Tri-Cities (Nebraska's very own "golden triangle") for the past five or six years. I would like to see Grand Island, Hastings and Kearney cooperate and work in concert together as much as possible and promote themselves as a viable metro area. Ideally, it would be great if they had a centralized regional airport that served all three communities so those people wouldn't have to drive all the way to Lincoln or Omaha if they wanted to fly somewhere.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM

704 posts, read 1,871,828 times
I would reccommend Kearney. That's where I grew up, I live in Omaha now because I wanted a more urban fell. However Kearny-ites seem to be some of the most open and enjoyable people in the state. They have a hockey team. UNK basketball, and Football both have modern stadiums and are competetive in their divisions. Not a bad place if you want a place with things to do but not a real big city feel. Don't be fooled Grand Island and Hastings are second class compared to Kearney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska