Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 71,071 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some information on Sidney NE. I am looking into a possible employment position with Cabela’s. This would be a big move for my family and I (distance-wise). We currently live in a small farming community (about 13,000 pop.) so the size of Sidney doesn’t bother me. What I am trying to get information on is, “what is the life in Sidney like?” Are the citizens “down to earth” and friendly? How are the schools? I have gone on the schools web page and read how the schools “stand” on state averages but, “how are the teachers?” Are there enough doctors, dentist, optometrists? Do you have to wait weeks to schedule a visit? I see that there is a Wal-Mart so the downtown (so I have read) has been affected by them, but “what about the rest of the businesses?” What does a gallon of gas cost? What are the utilities like (Good reliable service)? How is the housing market? What is it like to work for Cabela’s? If anyone would like to give me any information about Sidney or Cabela’s I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,185,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodn10 View Post
I would like to get some information on Sidney NE. I am looking into a possible employment position with Cabela’s. This would be a big move for my family and I (distance-wise). We currently live in a small farming community (about 13,000 pop.) so the size of Sidney doesn’t bother me. What I am trying to get information on is, “what is the life in Sidney like?” Are the citizens “down to earth” and friendly? How are the schools? I have gone on the schools web page and read how the schools “stand” on state averages but, “how are the teachers?” Are there enough doctors, dentist, optometrists? Do you have to wait weeks to schedule a visit? I see that there is a Wal-Mart so the downtown (so I have read) has been affected by them, but “what about the rest of the businesses?” What does a gallon of gas cost? What are the utilities like (Good reliable service)? How is the housing market? What is it like to work for Cabela’s? If anyone would like to give me any information about Sidney or Cabela’s I would greatly appreciate it.

I do not know much about Sidney except that Cabela's is a fast growing Corporation that has lots of mula and are building large Bass Pro type shops all over the US...

Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 AM

585 posts, read 2,216,351 times
I worked for Cabelas in Kearney while in college, taking phone orders. It seemed like a good company to work for but I hated that job.

I drive past Sidney a lot. It always seemed really windy. Where are you relocating from?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Relocating from Illinois. Thanks for your info Rumblelelly

Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks ehenningsen, thats kind of what I have found too.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 AM

117 posts, read 524,856 times
Funny you mention windy, I took this from Cabelas when passing through, and its midday on a sunny day.

http://corolada.com/S3500363.JPG (broken link)

Its like that a lot. All the darkness is dust kicked up.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,923,541 times
Sidney's a typical NE plains town of above average size and commerce due to Cabella's headquarters/main store (which is by no means the largest in their chain now). Like many other plains towns that were agrarian based, it's on the old railroad line and that's how the I80 Interstate corridor was mapped out.

It has a modest downtown commercial area, adquate medical community, a few of the typical chain restaurants, and a great little FBO/airport (hats off to Ed, Kelly, and Chris). We have a group that flys in about 8 times per year to check out Cabella's specials and have lunch there ... they run a free van shuttle to/from the airport. It's not uncommon on many weekends for the ramp area to be full of planes and parking is then on the grass apron areas.

It's generally got a mild breeze going, which can be up to a strong/gusty wind. If you look up the wind densities map in the USA, you'll see that this portion of the country has the highest average wind density. It can be a hail or tornado belt area, too. It's warm in the summer and cold in the winter, and it's not unusual for the I80 corridor through here to be shut down due to black ice/lots of snowfall, or high winds on slick roads with lots of stranded vehicles blocking the road due to low visibility. The Highway Patrol has lately become much more pro-active about closing the road when conditions are treacherous and a few accidents prevent the highway department from plowing the roadway.

The cost of living is very low compared to much of the USA. Fuel has been in the mid $2.20 range when I was there a week ago for unleaded regular.
Utilities are reasonable and reliable.

Schools, I'm told, are a big deal in the community and are highly rated. A lot of the community social life revolves around the school activities ... sports, etc.

Cabella's pay scale is pretty good for the area. I know that the mid and upper level people participate in exceptional bonus pay plans which have recently been very high and would have been a very decent income almost anywhere in the USA. In a town like Sidney, it's an incredible amount of compensation. While there's turnover at the sales clerk level jobs, I've known some people working there for over 20 years in the firearms and fishing departments.

I'd rate the town as friendly and supportive of all who come to live there and enjoy the area. Of course, you've got to be into the small town community life and not your baggage from other places; it's a pretty conservative group of people.

It's a few hour drive to Denver for your major shopping needs, so that's pretty accessible.

Buying locally raised pork, beef, chicken, and turkey is a bonus. Natural/free ranged, hormone free. Reasonably priced direct from the farm/ranch, and local processing is availble.

The town shows a lot of local pride of ownership. Typically, houses and yards are well maintained. You can buy larger property in the area if you're into raising your own livestock or forage. Land and housing costs are reasonable.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Thanks for the reply

a42887,

Thanks for the info, I be sure to wear my goggles.

Sunsprit,

Big thanks, that is great information. I was not sure if I was going to be able to get someone to reply in such detail.

Thanks again.
Bodn10

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 20,464 times
Cool hi

hi
i am looking for housing in Sidney area. how does the rent looks like. what is the best rated house might cost rent..I have heard about clubs and sporting outlets there, are they any good..

Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,436 times
I've lived in the Sidney area for the last 29 years. It's not a bad place. Pretty laid back.

In the housing market, mid range to buy around here ($100,000 or so) are hard to come by as they don't stay on the market long. There are lots of folks building big expensive houses. I couldn't tell you about rentals as I own my own home 10 outside of town. If you go to one of the smaller surrounding communities, (Lodgepole, Gurley, Dalton, Potter) housing tends to be a little cheaper.

I don't know about the Sidney Schools as my kids went to school in Lodgepole, which is now consolidated with Chappell and is known as Creek Valley, but the schools in the small surrounding communities are excellent, as are their teachers, and local support from parents and the community.

Yes, it's windy here, but it's not that bad. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter but we tend not to get a buttload of snow except for the occasional blizzard. And we do have hail and thunderstorms and the occasional tornado, but not like Kansas or Oklahoma.

All in all it's a pretty good place to live. Everybody is fairly friendly. There are 2 veterinarians, 5 or 6 car lots, The downtown is a nice friendly area, it's safe to walk the streets at night. We could use a few more stores downtown, but that will come with time.

janelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska