U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Columbus and Norfolk are the two main cities outside Omaha and Lincoln in Eastern Nebraska.

I got this far into the thread and quit reading.

You have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 PM

4,982 posts, read 5,044,573 times
I would check if there are more meat packing plants in W. NE, you know it's one of the nastiest, the most dangerous, the most low paid, the least respected kind of employment one could be forced into, it does things to your brain, it does things to your body (and yes, most who works there don't have health insurance or a chance for work comp.). Farm/ranch wage work little bit better, but not much. Bon Appetite. Name me a location of a meat packing plant, I'll make a wild guess who's working there, recent immigrants, undocumented immigrants, and so on. BTW, 40% of NE newborn babies are latino, this not to connect crime with being a latino, but with being minimum/no wage no benefits, no legal rights.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 PM

370 posts, read 1,158,798 times
A two-year old thread revived! I love that...

Right now, if you hate snow, you'll hate western Nebraska. If you love rain, go east.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,168,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
A two-year old thread revived! I love that...

Right now, if you hate snow, you'll hate western Nebraska. If you love rain, go east.
Personally I think Matt's discontent with western NE has something to do with lakes....

Old 11-20-2009, 07:04 AM

163 posts, read 151,752 times
I travel through NE a lot. You have the same problem that both SD and ND have. We are divided east against west. The minset of the people is diffn't. Eastern part of all three states get a bad rap from their large cities. Sioux Falls is the armpit of SD and all these out of state people give the rest of eastern SD a bad rap. They're trying to be little Minneapolis or something.

The western side of the state people are more cautious, may appear to be laid back and when they live they live it up. But they'd give you the shirt off their back if you needed it.

Eastern side of all three states are a lot of towns of small ethnic pockets and if you're new in town and not one of "them" then you'll never fit in so look out.

Eastern part of these states are "religious" go to church but really lukewarm, western side maybe aren't as big on church going but what you see is what you get. They live the same all 7 days of the week.

I've traveled extensively in all three states. The people are about the same. Hwy 281 seems to divide the "easterners" from the "westerners". Crime? I suspicion the two towns mentioned may see slightly more crime for a reason other than the east west thing. Don't paint all of western NE with the same brush. I have loved my experiences in North Platte, Valentine, Scotts Bluff, Goehring, Chadron, Oglala, and those little small towns. I've had some not so great experiences in Columbus, Grand Island and Omaha.
Even though I live in an "eastern" part of my state, I always tell folks: "Go west young man, go west!"

Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
Nobody should waste their time - or anybody else's time - trying to feel better about where they live by running other parts of the country down.

It's just stupid.

I love living in Omaha. Absolutely love it. If somebody loves living in, say, Sidney, that's fantastic! More power to them!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:53 PM

370 posts, read 1,158,798 times
This thread was started over two and a half years ago and JUST WON'T DIE!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,232 times
Ya, this thread was started by a troll 2 years ago. The topic is ridiculous. And anyone who thinks that the people in the west are better than those in the east is absolutely out of their mind. Equally, anyone who thinks the reverse is insane. Close mindedness on both sides.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 PM

214 posts, read 184,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Matt,
You should read the book "What's The Matter With Kansas" by Thomas Frank. It is an interesting book that discusses some of the major issues affecting rural areas of the Great Plains.
I'll ditto that with Frank's nice little expose of the Midwest and all true. He wrote a sequel that I have not read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or