U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM
 
76 posts, read 172,196 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Nebraska is dependent upon Omaha in the same manner that South Dakota is dependent upon Sioux City, Iowa. In fact, I’d say Omaha is just a slightly larger version of your sister city a couple hours to the north, Sioux City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sorry, but you are betraying complete ignorance and naivete.

First of all, Sioux City is in Iowa. It's Sioux Falls that is the largest city in South Dakota. And - as Nebraska would be without Omaha - South Dakota without Sioux Falls would be an economic wreck.

Second, Sioux City has a population of 80,000. The Omaha area has a population 10x that number. If you think Omaha is "just a slightly larger version" of Sioux City, your tiny little school's math program failed you miserably.

Third, you're welcome to live in a tiny little road junction, where there are more dogs than people and the only retail business is a convenience store, but most of us would rather not live that way.
Sioux City not part of South Dakota—Well, duuuh. That's the point. That is why South Dakota is not dependent upon Sioux City. (Why would I use Sioux Falls as an example. SD is dependent upon Sioux Falls, isn't it?)

I chose Sioux City as an example because of its similarity to Omaha (“Omaha is just a slightly larger version of your sister city a couple hours to the north, Sioux City”). Both are Missouri river towns. Both Omaha and Sioux City got their starts as stockyard towns shipping beef back East. Sure Omaha is larger than Sioux City, but only because of the federal money Omaha receives from Offutt AFB, and because Omaha sits on a more active east/west transportation corridor than Sioux City. Take away Offutt and I-80/railroads and Omaha would be Sioux City.

 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
 
76 posts, read 172,196 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
My daughter will graduate in the middle of her senior year, from Omaha North High School, with enough dual-enrollment college-level classes, to enter UNO as a second semester sophomore.
Do you realize that few people on either coast have ever even heard of UNO? Why don’t you use Creighton as an example of quality in higher education? A degree from Creighton would be marketable throughout the U.S. A degree from UNO is virtually worthless if you travel more than 100 miles outside Nebraska. You might as well get one of those mail-order diplomas for $50 rather than waste your time at UNO.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Sioux City not part of South Dakota—Well, duuuh. That's the point. That is why South Dakota is not dependent upon Sioux City. (Why would I use Sioux Falls as an example. SD is dependent upon Sioux Falls, isn't it?)

I chose Sioux City as an example because of its similarity to Omaha (“Omaha is just a slightly larger version of your sister city a couple hours to the north, Sioux City”). Both are Missouri river towns. Both Omaha and Sioux City got their starts as stockyard towns shipping beef back East. Sure Omaha is larger than Sioux City, but only because of the federal money Omaha receives from Offutt AFB, and because Omaha sits on a more active east/west transportation corridor than Sioux City. Take away Offutt and I-80/railroads and Omaha would be Sioux City.
Yeah, you're right. Take away Offutt, I-80, the colleges, the hospitals, the corporations, and 90% of the population and yes, Omaha would be Sioux City. You know, now that you mention it... If you were to take all those things away from Omaha, and remove all water, vegetation and 100% of the population, Omaha would be a lot like the Sahara Desert!


I'm also curious as to why you claim that SD is dependent on Sioux Falls (its largest city, and on the east end of the state) but NE is not dependent on Omaha (its largest city, and on the east end of the state).


It's very obvious that you hate Omaha. That's fine. You're perfectly entitled to that opinion. But the fact that you hold that opinion does not justify any of this other stuff...
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Do you realize that few people on either coast have ever even heard of UNO? Why don’t you use Creighton as an example of quality in higher education? A degree from Creighton would be marketable throughout the U.S. A degree from UNO is virtually worthless if you travel more than 100 miles outside Nebraska. You might as well get one of those mail-order diplomas for $50 rather than waste your time at UNO.

Yeah. Uhh Huhh... Sure.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 AM
 
76 posts, read 172,196 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's very obvious that you hate Omaha. That's fine. You're perfectly entitled to that opinion. But the fact that you hold that opinion does not justify any of this other stuff...
I don’t hate Omaha. Not at all. Omaha is a pleasant little sleepy Midwestern town—quite quaint really. I just think it’s humorous that many Omaha residents have an inflated sense of self importance and think the rest of the state depends upon Omaha. Those that think this are rather narrow minded and misinformed. Really, they should get out more and see some of the rest of the nation—or even just the rest of the state.

Like I said above, if Omaha was kicked out of Nebraska tomorrow, the rest of the state wouldn’t even miss them—except that maybe once in a while the real Nebraskans would go to the newly formed town of Omaha Iowa to visit the zoo.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
I don’t hate Omaha. Not at all. Omaha is a pleasant little sleepy Midwestern town—quite quaint really. I just think it’s humorous that many Omaha residents have an inflated sense of self importance and think the rest of the state depends upon Omaha. Those that think this are rather narrow minded and misinformed. Really, they should get out more and see some of the rest of the nation—or even just the rest of the state.

Like I said above, if Omaha was kicked out of Nebraska tomorrow, the rest of the state wouldn’t even miss them—except that maybe once in a while the real Nebraskans would go to the newly formed town of Omaha Iowa to visit the zoo.
YAWN. I'm done talking to you.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
 
76 posts, read 172,196 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
YAWN. I'm done talking to you.
Good night grandma.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Good night grandma.
Good night, Bubba.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
Reputation: 477
Sioux City cannot be compared to Omaha. To do so is completely ridiculous and shows how little you actually no about the two cities.

As Omaha Rocks mentioned, the only way you can make them comparable is to subtract all the positives out of Omaha....which could be said for any city in the U.S.

You're also severely ignorant if you think the rest of the state wouldn't miss the lost tax revenue from Omaha! Ya...just cut out nearly 1/2 the population of the state, but maintain 99% of the area and there won't be any tax repercussions! Are you serious??

The conversation is absurd.
 
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Omaha
481 posts, read 1,150,522 times
Reputation: 211
I would like to see some stats that compare what percentage of tax revenue comes from the Nebraska counties in the Omaha metro and the rest of the states counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top