U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,905,440 times
I will say this:

I find it unfortunate that people have to start dumb posts like this..
I love being a part of Nebraska and I cheer on all sectors of the state..

I respect people and their belief systems..

But today I have come to the conclusion that the most arrogant, biggoted, hate-driven people in America are conservatives...

And if you want to 'boot' Omaha out of Nebraska for the sake of your pride, then do it and watch your lives cave in when you do not get all of these state subsidies that are allocated out of our city and into your rural counties and communities..

I respect the rural lifestyle and one day I plan on retiring in the country, but lately I have grown to fear the bigots and disgusting self-centered attitudes of many people of rural Nebraska..

All you have to do is thank us for our hard-earned money and let it go..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,751,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Go ahead, kick Omaha out and watch what happens to the state.
Unfortunately, this is true.

As an example, compare Nebraska and Kansas to North or South Dakotas. Both of the latter are struggling because of rural out-migration and are beginning to have real concerns about things like brain-drain and tax supports.
Yet Nebraska and Kansas, despite being very similar in make-up as the Dakotas have one important thing the Dakotas lack-- large, metropolitan centers. And those keep the state, as a whole, alive and healthy.

Much as I jokingly say, "Yeah! Get rid of Omahanlincoln entirely!"
we'd be fools to think that was actually a good idea...

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,180,322 times
I don't understand what the rural areas have against Omaha anyways.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:50 AM

228 posts, read 524,713 times
You can count me as another person who doesn't understand the animosity. Omaha really isn't a big enough city that people in rural parts of the state should be offended by it.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,029,492 times
I would be all for Omaha leaving NE and joining up with almost any state. Omaha, Iowa doesn't sound bad. Or at least if we had more autonomy regarding some laws.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,354,669 times
I think it would be fair to say there are also plenty of people in Omaha and Lincoln who would want to get rid of western Nebraska (aka to them west of mile marker 391 on I-80). Like I said before this whole thinking process is stupid.

But please remember there are plenty of us in out-state Nebraska that aren't afraid of Omaha, don't hate Omaha, bring our money to Omaha, go to college in Omaha, have friends or family move to Omaha or are even from Omaha. All I'm saying is don't bunch us all together.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
You can count me as another person who doesn't understand the animosity. Omaha really isn't a big enough city that people in rural parts of the state should be offended by it.
*chuckle*

Norfolk is a big city, so far as I'm concerned. lol

BTW, since there are a number of folks in this thread who don't get it, rural Nebraska is frustrated by the cities, particularly Omahanlincoln, because of the way our government is set up. In essence, in our state, majority rules (since we don't have a Senate to bring balance to the House). And the majority is in, or near, the cities. And the majority frequently doesn't have a clue what is best for the minority, or even what things are like for the minority.

The country school law that passed several years ago (and has since been repealed) was a perfect example of that. The cities pushed it through because they had the votes and were completely myopic with regards to the way it would affect the truly rural schools. And yet it barely touched those "country schools" on the outskirts of towns that were the supposed problem...

Mostly people are tired of being run over by folks who think Grand Island is western Nebraska.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 AM

226 posts, read 655,523 times
Without Omaha (metro), Nebraska would be the smallest state in the country (population wise) Even smaller than Wyoming... And Nebraska's great economy would go down the toilet... Where do you think all the jobs are? Hastings or Grand Island? Maybe if you're a farmer or a Rancher, but if you had a real career, like an IT technician you would need to be in the metro!

Besides why would anyone want to live in rural Nebraska anyway? That would be like living in the 1800's: No city services, no culture, no cable internet, you probably have to drink well water, I'm surprised you even have electricity... I bet if it gets knocked out in a storm though, they probably take forever to come fix it!

PS: How far is the hospital? Next town over, 85 miles away? Don't have a heart attack, probably wouldn't make it to the hospital, but here in Omaha I could make it to the hospital in 5 mins tops and I would live... And don't give me that "When its my time to go crap either! I'm agnostic... And how accepting are you of non-christians or even gays? Living in rural Nebraska would be like living in hell!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Let me guess; you're about 15 years old and have never lived outside a city, yes?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 AM

279 posts, read 566,974 times
I've never understood where these city/country rivalries come from, but it seems to be universal. I live in Chicago now, and the city/downstate bickering can be very intense. It seems to be the same arguments: all the crime and pollution comes from the city, all our taxes are going to support those bumpkins. I was born in California and it's the same there. Go to Turlock or Redding and ask people what they think of San Francisco or Los Angeles or vice versy.

And it's not just in America. Check out the "Have Your Say" boards on bbc.com when there is a London vs. country theme and read the vitriol. There is real hatred there. I understand most rural Russians despise Moscow, although many of them want to move there. I don't know how people in the Outback feel about Sydney and Melbourne, but it's a safe bet the pattern holds.

Apparently, stupidity is the one truly universal value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska