Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,225,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
And it's not just in America. Check out the "Have Your Say" boards on bbc.com when there is a London vs. country theme and read the vitriol. There is real hatred there. I understand most rural Russians despise Moscow, although many of them want to move there. I don't know how people in the Outback feel about Sydney and Melbourne, but it's a safe bet the pattern holds.
That's because that's the way it works everywhere; the voices of the many drown out the voices of the few. And sometimes it ticks the "few" off!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM

605 posts, read 1,197,162 times
I'm all for Omaha becoming part of Iowa! Then we could annex Council Bluffs! Then the truth of Nebraska would reveal itself, Nebraska is nothing without Omaha!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:37 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,889,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I'm all for Omaha becoming part of Iowa! Then we could annex Council Bluffs! Then the truth of Nebraska would reveal itself, Nebraska is nothing without Omaha!
Surf, I would be all for kicking you out of Omaha...

Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,143,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
Without Omaha (metro), Nebraska would be the smallest state in the country (population wise) Even smaller than Wyoming... And Nebraska's great economy would go down the toilet... Where do you think all the jobs are? Hastings or Grand Island? Maybe if you're a farmer or a Rancher, but if you had a real career, like an IT technician you would need to be in the metro!

Besides why would anyone want to live in rural Nebraska anyway? That would be like living in the 1800's: No city services, no culture, no cable internet, you probably have to drink well water, I'm surprised you even have electricity... I bet if it gets knocked out in a storm though, they probably take forever to come fix it!

PS: How far is the hospital? Next town over, 85 miles away? Don't have a heart attack, probably wouldn't make it to the hospital, but here in Omaha I could make it to the hospital in 5 mins tops and I would live... And don't give me that "When its my time to go crap either! I'm agnostic... And how accepting are you of non-christians or even gays? Living in rural Nebraska would be like living in hell!
Are you kidding me, ranching is not a real job? Please, come do it for a day and tell me if it is not a real job.

As for your other comments, its a wonder us rural Nebraskan's have discovered this thing they call the internet. Come on.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,143,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Really, isn't agriculture the #1 industry in Nebraska.

I really didn't want to get caught up in this, but we could do just fine without Omaha.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,679,167 times
But I'd rather be a part of Nebraska than anywhere else.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,195,145 times
Default ..

Guys.. This is a very moot point we are debating..

I like many things about rural nebraska.. Even though it requires subsidies to function doesn't mean that they are fruitless.. As a matter of fact, everything they do is based off of real production and then it gets shipped to packing centers and then elswhere..

I am going to be the first to say this.. Ranchers and farmers are not being paid fairly for the amount of product they produce..

It sickens me to no end that they work this hard and then get jacked by the free market..

That said, they are an absolutely HUGE and GIGANTIC part of the reason why an economy can remain stable, they are the real product that all of this weird speculation is based on.. No matter the boom or bust, our ranchers and farmers are always 'producing'..

Just like I believe everybody deserves free healthcare, our farmers and ranchers deserve better than what our governments give them..

Farmers absolutely need the big cities, and without Omaha the rural areas would struggle.. But I want to note here that Omaha receive much stability and product from the rural areas..

Believe me when I say that you do not want to kick Omaha out of the state it would do a lot of harm to do something like that, let alone have the attitude that we don't belong..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,544,436 times
What I have pretty much always read on this forum is....Its not so much rural Nebraska that has a problem with Omaha its Omaha that has a problem with rural Nebraska. And a portion of forum members here who live in the Omaha area.

Something I notice, our Nebraska forum seems to hold so many ***** topics compared to some of neighboring states. Its like some of us really hate this state.

Last edited by Sandhills Guru; 04-05-2009 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: more thoughts

Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,178,070 times
I think rural Nebraska is the heart and soul of this state. Almost every single truly hard working person I have ever met has been from rural Nebraska. Most of the city folks I've come across, from living in Lincoln my entire life, has this since of entitlement. They don't feel they should work hard for what they have they feel like it should be given to them freely. Now, I've met quite a few people who aren't like this, so I'm not generalizing anyone or anything, but living here for 23 years, you begin to catch on to certain patterns.
I honestly don't think Lincoln or Omaha would be anything without rural Nebraska (that is if they just made there own state. I'm certain they would be fine joining Iowa.)
Rural Nebraska has been surviving for hundreds of years. They're more resistant than they seem. Though, I admit, it would surely hurt all of Nebraska to lose Omaha.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 AM

605 posts, read 1,197,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Surf, I would be all for kicking you out of Omaha...
I'd be all for leaving you behind in what would be left in Nebraska, a bigot paradise without the BLUE dot of Omaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska