U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Here
703 posts, read 1,158,959 times
Reputation: 309

Advertisements

Simple answer; NO

 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 AM
 
76 posts, read 130,884 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Simple answer; NO
Why the simple answer, No? Nebraska could kick Omaha out and hardly even notice the loss. Nebraska would retain the seat of state government, Lincoln, the main university, UNL, and all the rich farmlands and ranches that Nebraska is known for.

Like I said in my original post, Omaha has a great zoo and several decent shopping malls, but what else does it have to offer the rest of the state? The problem is, Omaha suffers from an over inflated sense of self worth.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,228,169 times
Reputation: 496
So Nebraska would be willing to give up over half of it's income and not notice? Yeah right. Even with the capital and the all important huskers (puke) Nebraska would be North Dakota or Wyoming without Omaha.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,331 posts, read 6,507,618 times
Reputation: 1163
True, we would take all of our metro with us.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,585 posts, read 3,280,641 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
So Nebraska would be willing to give up over half of it's income and not notice? Yeah right. Even with the capital and the all important huskers (puke) Nebraska would be North Dakota or Wyoming without Omaha.
Wyoming? we'd be fine.
Wyoming is a fairly well-off state. They have coal, oil, etc. As well as tourism...
They don't need a large metro area!
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
 
76 posts, read 130,884 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
So Nebraska would be willing to give up over half of it's income and not notice? Yeah right. Even with the capital and the all important huskers (puke) Nebraska would be North Dakota or Wyoming without Omaha.
This is what I mean when I say that Omaha suffers from an over inflated sense of self worth.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,228,169 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Wyoming? we'd be fine.
Wyoming is a fairly well-off state. They have coal, oil, etc. As well as tourism...
They don't need a large metro area!
Where's Nebraska's coal????
Where's Nebraska's oil?????

Without Omaha you'd lose all of the big business in the state.

Also where do you think most of the tourists coming to NE are going? The 2 biggest tourist draws by far are in Omaha.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,228,169 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
This is what I mean when I say that Omaha suffers from an over inflated sense of self worth.

It's not over inflated. The city of Omaha alone is responsible for over half of the state of Nebraska. The rest of Nebraska would be even more decrepit if it didn't have Omaha's money.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Here
703 posts, read 1,158,959 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Why the simple answer, No? Nebraska could kick Omaha out and hardly even notice the loss. Nebraska would retain the seat of state government, Lincoln, the main university, UNL, and all the rich farmlands and ranches that Nebraska is known for.

Like I said in my original post, Omaha has a great zoo and several decent shopping malls, but what else does it have to offer the rest of the state? The problem is, Omaha suffers from an over inflated sense of self worth.

Losing Omaha would mean Nebraska would lose half of it's tax base.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
11,123 posts, read 10,703,012 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
It's not over inflated. The city of Omaha alone is responsible for over half of the state of Nebraska. The rest of Nebraska would be even more decrepit if it didn't have Omaha's money.
Yep. Some people just don't get it, do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top