U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM

8,294 posts, read 13,821,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Why the simple answer, No? Nebraska could kick Omaha out and hardly even notice the loss. Nebraska would retain the seat of state government, Lincoln, the main university, UNL, and all the rich farmlands and ranches that Nebraska is known for.
You're joking, right?

NONE of these things would be maintained financially if Omaha were out of Nebraska.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,789,086 times
OK, last try.
Please, read through carefully, several times, before you reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I haven't cherry picked anything. You made it very clear that you were unhappy with the fact that the state government is setup for majority rule.
I've said nothing of the sort.
(You're reinforcing my statement that you're not reading replies, btw!)

I said: rural Nebraska is frustrated by the cities, particularly Omahanlincoln, because of the way our government is set up

I, personally, like the unicam. I think it's an efficient way to govern. Not to mention, it makes us unique. However, it does occasionally cause frustration because of the very reasons mentioned.

You said you didn't understand!
If you didn't want an answer, why did you ask??

Multiple times, even!

Quote:
And as I pointed out, that works both ways. Omaha has to deal with legislation brought on by the more conservative western part of the state. Did you miss the part where the Sen. Christensen (from Imperial ) introduced a bill specifically targeting strip clubs in the eastern part of the state? How about the last call law?
True enough.
But since this is a majority rules government, to pass the laws, one needs the votes. And one won't get the votes unless the majority wants it.
By your analogy, the same team gets the starting position over us every time, year after year.

(BTW, most Nebraskans don't care one way or another about last call... There are a lot of bars in small towns that actually close before last call anyway.)

Quote:
Sure, I've only lived in Omaha (and then Council Bluffs and Tampa) but what does that matter?
Isn't it amazing how i knew that?? lol
I should get my own psychic hotline!

Quote:
However, I have defended Nebraska against the seemingly endless supply of trolls that show up here to disparage it.
But it's okay for you?
Really, most of what you've said in this thread shows a distinct lack of understanding about the rest of the state, as well as a complete disinterest in learning.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM

76 posts, read 123,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And the rest of Nebraska doesn't offer jack squat for Omaha.

So what's the point?
That if Nebraska gave Omaha the boot the big O would not be missed.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You're joking, right?

NONE of these things would be maintained financially if Omaha were out of Nebraska.
What would fail? The state government would more fairly represent the entire state instead of pandering to Omaha. I hardly think UNO is a viable threat to drive UNL out of business. And the farms and ranches would not even notice the absence. Again, what would fail?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
That if Nebraska gave Omaha the boot the big O would not be missed.
Yeah, it would.
The tax base provided by the metro area does subsidize the rest of the state. If you've ever lived in either of the Dakotas (particularly North, since they don't have the tourism industry of South) you've seen that. No metro would mean teacher shortages, highways in disrepair, lower quality telecommunications, a rapidly aging demographic, etc.

Would we get along? Of course. Both Dakotas are.
But it would definitely not be the way it is now.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If Nebraska gave Omaha the boot the big O would not be missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Yeah, it would.
The tax base provided by the metro area does subsidize the rest of the state. If you've ever lived in either of the Dakotas (particularly North, since they don't have the tourism industry of South) you've seen that. No metro would mean teacher shortages, highways in disrepair, lower quality telecommunications, a rapidly aging demographic, etc.

Would we get along? Of course. Both Dakotas are.
But it would definitely not be the way it is now.
Sure Omaha has more people and accordingly collects more taxes. But Omaha spends more money too. Revenues would go away, but so would expenses.

As for comparing an Omaha-less Nebraska with the Dakotas, have you noticed that South Dakota imposes no state income tax and South Dakota’s property taxes are not much higher than those of Nebraska?

Better off, I say. Give em the boot!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM

You show a naivete that makes me think you're either young, or haven't ever lived too far from where you started.
Omaha subsidizes greater Nebraska.
That means that we're collecting more than we contribute.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM

8,294 posts, read 13,821,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
What would fail? The state government would more fairly represent the entire state instead of pandering to Omaha. I hardly think UNO is a viable threat to drive UNL out of business. And the farms and ranches would not even notice the absence. Again, what would fail?
There are as many people living in the Omaha metro area as in the entire rest of the state combined.

The average income of people in the Omaha metro area is higher than that of those living in out-state Nebraska.

If you think that the elimination of state income tax, and property tax, from the entire Omaha metro area is not going to seriously affect the rest of the state you are deluded.

So go ahead and enjoy your rural area. But stop being juvenile and bad-mouthing the Omaha metro area.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
You show a naivete that makes me think you're either young, or haven't ever lived too far from where you started.
Omaha subsidizes greater Nebraska.
That means that we're collecting more than we contribute.
Ha! You are on to me. I am an 18 year old high school drop out from Omaha Central.
/jk

So I guess by calling names instead of addressing my point about South Dakota you must agree with me, huh? I mentioned SD since it was the example you gave above.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
There are as many people living in the Omaha metro area as in the entire rest of the state combined.

The average income of people in the Omaha metro area is higher than that of those living in out-state Nebraska.

If you think that the elimination of state income tax, and property tax, from the entire Omaha metro area is not going to seriously affect the rest of the state you are deluded.

So go ahead and enjoy your rural area. But stop being juvenile and bad-mouthing the Omaha metro area.
Bad-mouthing? I am merely pointing out that the rest of Nebraska is in no way dependent upon Omaha. This perception is shared only by the ignorant masses clustered in the big O.

Nebraska is dependent upon Omaha in the same manner that South Dakota is dependent upon Sioux City, Iowa. In fact, I’d say Omaha is just a slightly larger version of your sister city a couple hours to the north, Sioux City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska