Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Sarpy County city/ area has the most going for it?
Papillion 11 52.38%
Bellevue 3 14.29%
La Vista 3 14.29%
Gretna 3 14.29%
Springfield 0 0%
Chalco 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times

Advertisements

I think La Vista has the most going for it with the whole Southport area going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
I think its a toss up between LaVista and Papillion.

How to define "going for it"... The development between the two has been very different from each other but both very significant. Papillion has been doing a lot with quality of life, parks, things to do, etc... Lavista has their problem with 84th street.

If forced to pick one over the other I think I'd go with Papillion...

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Probably the most development and the most thriving of the communities

Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 13,322 times
Bellevue is a nice area, complete with the USAF base and the home of USSTRATCOM. Jobs are plentiful.

Fenced in corner lot near Offutt AFB/Schools, Split Level with Upgrade (http://omaha.craigslist.org/apa/854125981.html - broken link) (homes are too!)

Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,605 times
While I'm not entirely familiar with the lay of the land... is La Vista going to be facing land lock issues in the years ahead? Papillion would seem to stand to see the most growth. Obviously La Vista benefits from great interstate access today. Although it must have taken a pretty significant hit when Papillion stole their Walmart sales tax receipts. Southport is great... but so is Shadow Lake... I would guess Papillion is taking in considerably more tax revenue than La Vista.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
As of this moment, LaVista with Yahoo looking like they will come. In the future its Papillion and Gretna. It will also be interesting where the baseball stadium will go, if it gets built.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
While I'm not entirely familiar with the lay of the land... is La Vista going to be facing land lock issues in the years ahead? Papillion would seem to stand to see the most growth. Obviously La Vista benefits from great interstate access today. Although it must have taken a pretty significant hit when Papillion stole their Walmart sales tax receipts. Southport is great... but so is Shadow Lake... I would guess Papillion is taking in considerably more tax revenue than La Vista.

LaVista, while it still has lots of land to develop is generally bordered on all 4 sides so will be landlocked at some point. Papillion has lots of growth left - pretty much limitless as it heads south - except where it would eventually bump into Springfield or the county border at the river... growth west will just be limited whereever it and Gretna decide to share a border.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
LaVista, while it still has lots of land to develop is generally bordered on all 4 sides so will be landlocked at some point. Papillion has lots of growth left - pretty much limitless as it heads south - except where it would eventually bump into Springfield or the county border at the river... growth west will just be limited whereever it and Gretna decide to share a border.

Right now, Papillion has a size advantage to La Vista and Bellevue is the largest city in sarpy county. But Papillion has probably the top retail/resteraunt scenes of all the suburban communities and is growing very fast, while La Vista seems to have the top suburban corporate park in south Port and is also growing fast..

In the future, La Vista is very limited with land available to annex, while the cities of Bellevue, Papillion, Gretna and Louisville have the advantage with future growth potential..

For Douglas county, the cities of Waterloo and Bennington are going to be very explosive with growth until they face annexation, but if they keep their nose's clean (unlike Elkhorn and Millard) they will remain an independant community with an agreement to the city of Omaha if they promise to not annex any subdivisions that will allow them to reach 10,000 people...

Valley is going to start seeing more growth as well as Yutan in east central Saunders county..

Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Right now, Papillion has a size advantage to La Vista and Bellevue is the largest city in sarpy county. But Papillion has probably the top retail/resteraunt scenes of all the suburban communities and is growing very fast, while La Vista seems to have the top suburban corporate park in south Port and is also growing fast..
You are so right... LaVista picked up the major employers and the hotels, Papillion picked up everything the local workers need in their daily lives (including the houses)... appears to be a great cooperation between the two cities - as a resident it does look like the two governments cooperate on a lot - which is a great thing.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM

31 posts, read 81,227 times
I agree with Dave1215, I live in Papillion by Walnut Creek Lake and everyday it seems like something is being built here. The expansion to Midlands hospital is nearing completion and Shadow Lake is almost filled with restaurants on it's outer ring. By my place at 96th and 370 theres the new 370 Plaza and a Wallgreens which is almost done. La Vista is building a lot at the I-80 corridor, but is a little bit rundown in the Brentwood Plaza are on 84th. The empty Wal-Mart is a real eye sore when driving by. I think both cities are pretty equal in growth, Papillion probablly getting more residential growth, La Vista I'd say is getting more corporate growth. Two great cities that really arn't that different. Go Papio-La Vista!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska