Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Bad-mouthing? I am merely pointing out that the rest of Nebraska is in no way dependent upon Omaha. This perception is shared only by the ignorant masses clustered in the big O.

Nebraska is dependent upon Omaha in the same manner that South Dakota is dependent upon Sioux City, Iowa. In fact, I’d say Omaha is just a slightly larger version of your sister city a couple hours to the north, Sioux City.
I'm sorry, but you are betraying complete ignorance and naivete.

First of all, Sioux City is in Iowa. It's Sioux Falls that is the largest city in South Dakota. And - as Nebraska would be without Omaha - South Dakota without Sioux Falls would be an economic wreck.

Second, Sioux City has a population of 80,000. The Omaha area has a population 10x that number. If you think Omaha is "just a slightly larger version" of Sioux City, your tiny little school's math program failed you miserably.

Third, you're welcome to live in a tiny little road junction, where there are more dogs than people and the only retail business is a convenience store, but most of us would rather not live that way.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
Ha! You are on to me. I am an 18 year old high school drop out from Omaha Central.
/jk

So I guess by calling names instead of addressing my point about South Dakota you must agree with me, huh? I mentioned SD since it was the example you gave above.
I wasn't calling anyone names. There's nothing wrong with being naive. However, you do demonstrate a lack of knowledge of the subject, here.
(Though I'll agree, Omaha Rocks is coming across as a bigoted ignoramus. )

SD is a poorer state than Nebraska. Despite having a tourism industry, they're still a poor state, though not as bad as they'd be without it.
If you'd ever lived there (or even near, for that matter) you'd already know that... Income tax, or the lack of, has very little to do with it.
This is pretty basic economics, actually.
And before you start railing about city people in Omaha, know that the biggest "city" I've ever lived in was Chadron. lol
That was a number of years ago. Since then I've been living on ranches in the boonies of Nebraska and the Dakotas.

North Sioux does indeed contribute revenue dollars to the state of SD. (I'm not entirely sure why you've mentioned Sioux City, IA, though... How is their revenue going to support SD at all??)

However, if you two are more interested in a pissing match, allow me to bow out now.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
(Though I'll agree, Omaha Rocks is coming across as a bigoted ignoramus. )
Excuse me?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sorry, but you are betraying complete ignorance and naivete.

Third, you're welcome to live in a tiny little road junction, where there are more dogs than people and the only retail business is a convenience store, but most of us would rather not live that way.
As long as you are comparing "Dog woman" who lives near me, on a gravel road junction (and the place does look pretty bad), TO the cello player for the Omaha Symphony who lives in a loft in the Old Market---You've got a point.

On the other hand, if you're thinking that a majority want a cookie cutter split level in West Omaha w/a chain link fence and a job in a cubicle where the view has concrete for as far as the eye can see, ---and, compare that to a home overlooking a green valley with crop production work---well, it's a point of contention.

From the tractor seat, arst dentations with tunnel vision, about the ag industry and way of life are annoying. In fact, they annoyed me when I was living in Lincoln and commuting to work, in Omaha. I was always amazed how little people knew, in both cities, about Western Nebraska.

I have this faint hope that the NEW State Fair can be used as an education about our primary production. I think it will take years, though, before the facility can become its potential.

The arts are thriving in the small towns around me as well as outdoor recreation and farming.

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 05-02-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

I've said nothing of the sort.
(You're reinforcing my statement that you're not reading replies, btw!)

I said: rural Nebraska is frustrated by the cities, particularly Omahanlincoln, because of the way our government is set up
And again I ask, why is that Omaha/Lincoln's fault? Why should you, or anyone else, be frustrated at the cities for the way the state government is setup?

Quote:
You said you didn't understand!
If you didn't want an answer, why did you ask??

Multiple times, even!
Who said I didn't want an answer? I just want an answer that makes sense. So far, no one can provide that.

Quote:
True enough.
But since this is a majority rules government, to pass the laws, one needs the votes. And one won't get the votes unless the majority wants it. By your analogy, the same team gets the starting position over us every time, year after year.
Only 11 of the 49 legislative districts are Omaha.

Quote:
(BTW, most Nebraskans don't care one way or another about last call... There are a lot of bars in small towns that actually close before last call anyway.)
That's fine, but because of their conservative nature, Omaha bars have to close down at 1AM. That's far too early for any major metropolitan city.

But I bet the rest of the state didn't give a damn that it hurt Omaha then, did they? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how i knew that?? lol
I should get my own psychic hotline!
Yeah, real amazing! Who would know that you could go back in my previous posts of the last 2 weeks or so and see where I laid out exactly which cities I lived in and during what time frame!

On second thought, that psychic hotline might not be a good idea.

Quote:
But it's okay for you?
What is "okay" for me?

Quote:
Really, most of what you've said in this thread shows a distinct lack of understanding about the rest of the state, as well as a complete disinterest in learning.
No, I understand it just fine.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Joslyn Art Museum tries to present the Opening of the West by showing artifacts from the early pioneers moving Westward from the Missouri River. I am just so sorry that OPS has not been able to educate young Omahans a little better, about its beginnings.

I am thrilled to see the progess Omaha has made, in recent years, in entertainment and boutiques and galleries and cafes and retailing. But, the city might have lost something when the Stock Yards disappeared and the history of the city and its connection to this Great Plain was bypassed.

These posts are by young Omahans who are trying to be NY. Therefore, their country beginnings are embarrassing to them.

You know, fellas, you could have a magnificent niche of a city, when you realize that your port is not the otra culture carrying ocean, but a vast blanket of fields.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
Joslyn Art Museum tries to present the Opening of the West by showing artifacts from the early pioneers moving Westward from the Missouri River. I am just so sorry that OPS has not been able to educate young Omahans a little better, about its beginnings.

I am thrilled to see the progess Omaha has made, in recent years, in entertainment and boutiques and galleries and cafes and retailing. But, the city might have lost something when the Stock Yards disappeared and the history of the city and its connection to this Great Plain was bypassed.

These posts are by young Omahans who are trying to be NY. Therefore, their country beginnings are embarrassing to them.

You know, fellas, you could have a magnificent niche of a city, when you realize that your port is not the otra culture carrying ocean, but a vast blanket of fields.
Ultimately, every city (even NYC) started scratch. Some of them just progressed further and faster than the others.

When I attended OPS, we got plenty of education on Omaha's roots. Obviously that's been awhile now, but I find it hard to believe that they've totally abandoned that practice.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't want Omaha (even if it was possible) to become the next NYC, or Chicago. There are lots of improvements I'd like to see Omaha make, but ultimately I'm fine with the way the city is shaping up.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
My daughter will graduate in the middle of her senior year, from Omaha North High School, with enough dual-enrollment college-level classes, to enter UNO as a second semester sophomore.

I think the OPS schools are doing just fine, provided the kids apply themselves.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Again, as I said earlier, the little pi*ssing contest about whether the Omaha metro, or out-state Nebraska is better is ridiculous.

Live where you like, and like where you live. I grew up on a farm, outside a small town. It was very common to hear people sitting around ballyhooing the benefits of the small town and the horrors of the big city (any town with a population of more than 5,000. And it's all ridiculous.

Nobody has to run down the Omaha metro area to enjoy living in the rural areas. You have the same thing happen in Omaha. People from one area bad-mouth other areas of the city. And it's all ridiculous.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
My daughter will graduate in the middle of her senior year, from Omaha North High School, with enough dual-enrollment college-level classes, to enter UNO as a second semester sophomore.

I think the OPS schools are doing just fine, provided the kids apply themselves.
Agreed. I loved the time I spent in OPS. Wish my parents never would have moved over to Council Bluffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska