U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,192,851 times

Advertisements

Nebraska, "The Good Life" was our state's original state slogan created in the 70's by an advertising firm from Omaha at the request of then governor Exon.

I always thought if fit our state pretty well then and yet today.

Business takes me across our wonderful state pretty much from border to border. I have been lucky to of had the pleasure to meet many a resident from many walks of life.

Had the pleasure of visiting many a city of this fine state, from the smallest to the largest. And have found a positive in all those travels.

From our largest, Omaha. Its fine activity centers with many attractions for tourists and us home folks as well. The fine restuarants, shopping centers, & cultural events. Also its residents who are proud to be part of the good life.

To also some of our smallest, such as Meadville, Purdam and all those who are just remants of bussling towns of years gone by. From those coffee shops where you meet the locals and are welcomed with a hand shake and conversation.

To all those cities that fit in between and the offerings they also bring to our state.

From the people who come from all walks of life, the professionals that occupy the office buildings in our larger cities to those who call their office the wide open spaces of the sandhills. To those factory workers, the retail people, and service oriented people who call this home. They all make up....the good life.

From the rolling hills along the Missouri in the southeast to the PineRidge area of the northwest. We may not have the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mts, the ocean, or the deep forests, but we got something to offer that is just as good if you take the time to stop and see I believe...the good life.

I will call this home for the remaider of my days. Enjoy my travels across this state, share the stories of the people I meet and the scenery along the way with others.

Perhaps we all have a good expericence to share with others here about...the good life of Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM

300 posts, read 732,172 times
Great post Sandhills!! I tried to give you a rep point, but it wouldn't let me.
So you get this instead:

Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,754,413 times
Nebraska IS the Good Life. It is beautiful, the folks are friendly, warm, and hardworking, the land is amazing and full of contradictions and dissimilarities, and there is an overabundance of down-to-earth thought and wholesome common sense.

But please let's not tell anyone else, OK??!!! EVERYone will want to come here, and then they'll want their WalMart and Starbucks, their politicians and controls and ordinances, their self-serving arguments and contradictions,and it will all be ruined!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,754,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Great post Sandhills!! I tried to give you a rep point, but it wouldn't let me.
So you get this instead:
Ditto!!

You reminded me of my daughter's and my first step onto Nebraska soil a year ago last month, so I dug up the picture commemorating it...
Still as happy now as we were then... nah, more!

Last edited by SCGranny; 04-06-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,011,495 times
We moved to Dunning Nebraska in 1998.
Lived there for a mere 8 months.

Within the first three days, we had a freezer full of meals (so we could devote our time to moving in), had been invited to all three churches, had been invited to join the Fair board and were invited to supper at two different homes.

I consider myself fortunate. I've lived, literally, all over the state. The southeast corner, various parts of the Sandhills, a couple of spots in the panhandle, the northeast and most recently, the south west.
Even once we cross the state line to live in Kansas, I'll still be a Nebraskan.

Erin

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Neighbors helping neighbors for sure. Due to the friday's and saturday's weather a rancher had his cows decide to head south looking for better shelter. They traveled nearly 5 miles through this storm. Neighbors came together with horses, tractors with loaders and blades on them to make a trail back home for them. No one asked for this help, they heard via the local network someone needed help. They dropped their sunday plans and did just that, they helped.

...The Good Life

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM

11,005 posts, read 10,021,998 times
Amen! I always loved Nebraska, but unfortunately my parents decided that Florida (ugghhh) would be a good place to live and moved us down here when I was 15. Now, I'm trying to get back!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Amen! I always loved Nebraska, but unfortunately my parents decided that Florida (ugghhh) would be a good place to live and moved us down here when I was 15. Now, I'm trying to get back!
Well my folks back in the day kept threatening to move to North Dakota, LOL. Which from my travels would of been ok also. But glad they set roots here just as well.

Whenever you find your way back home to Nebraska, I am sure we will find room for you!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM

3,329 posts, read 6,292,398 times
Tried repping but you know those cursed rules.

I love all parts of our state, and no matter what, Nebraska will always be my true home.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 AM

14,811 posts, read 8,121,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
We moved to Dunning Nebraska in 1998.
Lived there for a mere 8 months.

Within the first three days, we had a freezer full of meals (so we could devote our time to moving in), had been invited to all three churches, had been invited to join the Fair board and were invited to supper at two different homes.

I consider myself fortunate. I've lived, literally, all over the state. The southeast corner, various parts of the Sandhills, a couple of spots in the panhandle, the northeast and most recently, the south west.
Even once we cross the state line to live in Kansas, I'll still be a Nebraskan.

Erin
I followed the grandchildren to SW Nebraska and have lived here for 11 years. Love it and what a wonderful change it is from southern CA. I've never regretted leaving CA behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska