U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM

10 posts, read 34,310 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in Ne since early in Devaney's coaching days in Lincoln, but I'm considering leaving my home of 30+ years in Oklahoma to move closer to family. During those years I have had a "yard" of 400+ acres and I don't know how I would adjust to having close neighbors again. I have read several threads with questions about living in Kearney but haven't seen some of my questions addressed. What requirements, laws does Kearney have regarding pets. I have 3 dogs that would be moving with me. Because I want to be a good neighbor, and I have dogs, I have been looking at listings of small acreages within or very close to town, as I no longer want the problem of digging out after snowstorms. (Moving north where winter lasts longer is bad enough.) Some listings have water wells--with the shrinking ground water supply, is this much of a potential problem? Also, besides the 2nd exit off 80, and the extension west for 39th street, are there any other major revisions in areas of Kearney pending? Kearney seems to have a lot to offer and is central to the towns where I have extended family. Y'all haven't become too liberal have you? Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Oh, another question, can anyone give me a ballpark idea of utility expenses? I know there are a lot of variables--say for a 2000 Sq ft home-total electric or natural gas/electric? Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,798,165 times
I haven't lived in Kearney for a few years now, but as far as I know there is no dog registration tax in Kearney, the only laws I can think of is that your dog needs to be leashed. Although I see plenty with well behaved dogs unleashed. As far as groundwater, its not as big a concern as say Arizona or Colorado, but thats not to say its an issue and everyone should be smart about it. I wouldn't worry about your well though. The city is growing to the north like crazy. There will be alot of development along 56th street from 2nd avenue clear to 30th avenue soon.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 PM

252 posts, read 664,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok Husker View Post
I haven't lived in Ne since early in Devaney's coaching days in Lincoln, .....................................Y'all haven't become too liberal have you? Thanks for any input.

Welcome! I live in the Kearney 'area,' and think I have the best of both worlds--acres and acres of grassland and stars, kind and decent neighbors as well as world class arts and entertainment happening in Kearney.

Liberal?? I wouldn't begrudge any law abiding citizen their way of life. In fact, I am not impacted if you want to marry a parrot; just don't mess with my money. You will be happy to know that 4 out of 5 people, here, are just sure that, at any moment, someone with "government" stamped on their head will cook them for dinner.

I think you'll find that Eisenhower is still President, here, presiding over public business and polls.

I wouldn't want to steer you wrong, but I am three miles out, on a dirt road, from my post office and groceries. It's pretty rare that I am ever snowed in. 4-wheel drive is wise to have. That said, the weather could change and an 1800's style blizzard, could happen. But, I doubt it. If you move way out, you will probably be OK with water and road conditions. It can be inconvenient, though, if you bake and tend to run out of sugar. ...and, I'd keep an eye on the tp supply.

300 dollars is the biggest bill that I have paid including gas and electricity(NPPD), for one month. If you choose an acreage, you will probably pay less???????????????????heat pump? propane? electric heat??

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 05-10-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks tpabes. Some nearby towns here restrict number of pets and require registration of certain breeds (not just pit bulls)--so wondering about Kearney. Thank you for the other info too.

And Roots'nbulbs, thanks for the reassurance! I still have my "Vote for Nixon and save our Butts" bumpersticker. LOL (Maybe I better explain to some--Butts was the name of the Secretary of Agriculture.)

Sorry, just checked my bumpersticker--the name was spelled Butz. Senior moment.

Last edited by Ok Husker; 05-10-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM

I think we're about the same age. Remembering the Devaney era and Lord! I remember Butts....You will fit right in with the arguing bunch, I run with. But, be aware---some of us went door to door for McGovern..........LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,895,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
But, be aware---some of us went door to door for McGovern..........LOL

I KNEW I was moving to the right state...

Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

.... the right state...
............................. " "

Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks again for the helpful info. I've been reviewing RE listings on the internet, but I need to drive up there again. Kearney area is still at the top of my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska