U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,181,098 times

Advertisements

How many of you have seen the movie 'Boys Don't Cry' (quite inaccurate) or know anything about the case? Some who are rather ignorant might think there are a lot of those type of people in Nebraska. Anyway, I'm just wondering if most everyone knows about the case, and if they've experienced any similar attitudes in the smaller cities and towns and rural areas of Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
I have family that knows the people in real life. I've probably even seen some of them at some point so I'm very familiar with what happened. I actually think that's a very fair portrayal of how people are in that part of Nebraska towards gays. I stopped visiting my family in Auburn because I didn't feel comfortable going down there. I was actually with my grandmother in Humboldt late one night and we stopped at a gas station for snacks. It was getting close to 1am and there was a group of people ranging from teens to older men just hanging out in front of the gas station with a bunch of Confederate flags on their cars. One of the older guys even had some neo-nazi patch on their jacket.

Now is everyone in SE Nebraska like that? No, but in my experience it's not been far off the mark.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM

704 posts, read 1,613,889 times
I'm familiar with the story. I would say there are a lot of people who personally do not approve of LGBT people in general. I ahve not seen too many that would be openly hostile, although I know they are out there. I don't know what it's really like other places since this is the only place I've lived. I try to do my part and when I hear people saying things taht are bigoted or cruel I try to tell them that won;t fly with me. Then they at least know that it won't be cool around me and hopefully will be less likely to throw that stuff around so freely.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,203,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I have family that knows the people in real life. I've probably even seen some of them at some point so I'm very familiar with what happened. I actually think that's a very fair portrayal of how people are in that part of Nebraska towards gays. I stopped visiting my family in Auburn because I didn't feel comfortable going down there. I was actually with my grandmother in Humboldt late one night and we stopped at a gas station for snacks. It was getting close to 1am and there was a group of people ranging from teens to older men just hanging out in front of the gas station with a bunch of Confederate flags on their cars. One of the older guys even had some neo-nazi patch on their jacket.

Now is everyone in SE Nebraska like that? No, but in my experience it's not been far off the mark.
Gotta love the necks! (The stupid ones)

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM

252 posts, read 634,404 times
As is true, in other areas, our younger people are increasingly diverse in ethnicity and more experienced with people who are different from themselves and their family. Thank you to technology and mobility and education.

My friends, who are gay, have a very, bad memory of remarks and attitudes from smart alec kids and sheltered adults, in our small town. But, I find that, more recently, when they visit friends and family, here, they are pleasantly surprised to encounter a lot more tolerance.

For one thing, LOL, you know 'what goes around, comes around,' and just as you get judgemental about your neighbor's kids, your own come home with a story. I've seen that happen more than once (i.e. Dick Cheney might want to comment. :-)

We're not so bad. Like I said, "We all have a history and kind of hope the town overlooks our differences in exchange for our liking them, no matter what."

Anyway, for my little Nebraska town, the attitude towards gays is pretty much "huh?wha'd you say?? Oh yeh. I knew that. And, so-o?" I wouldn't say that's 100% as there are still a lot of oldies around who can't get over the "Leave it to Beaver" world. (Do you think they all slept in twin beds???? :-)

Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,242,465 times
There are a few bad apples in S.E. Nebraska for sure. Lotter, Nissan(sic?) and Michael Ryan (Rulo, NE) all lived in the area. Unusual to have so many high profile murders in a sparsely populated area. The area has attracted a fewwhackos over the years because of the cheap land and several communes that have located in the area. Most of the people are Salt of the Earth but there are a few exceptions.

GL2

Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 7,818 times
Default Nice Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I was actually with my grandmother in Humboldt late one night and we stopped at a gas station for snacks. It was getting close to 1am and there was a group of people ranging from teens to older men just hanging out in front of the gas station with a bunch of Confederate flags on their cars. One of the older guys even had some neo-nazi patch on their jacket.

Sorry about replying to an old thread, but living in and around Humboldt my whole life, I can tell you that there has NEVER been a gas station or conveinence store in Humboldt that is open past 10 P.M. So your claim about all this happening at around 1 A.M. when you were there for snacks is obviously made up B.S. Nice try at attempting to paint everyone in this area as a bunch of biggots with a made up story.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,724 times
And he had grandma out at 1:00 AM
Well maybe she is a young grandma.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM

400 posts, read 798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENEBRASKA View Post
Sorry about replying to an old thread, but living in and around Humboldt my whole life, I can tell you that there has NEVER been a gas station or conveinence store in Humboldt that is open past 10 P.M. So your claim about all this happening at around 1 A.M. when you were there for snacks is obviously made up B.S. Nice try at attempting to paint everyone in this area as a bunch of biggots with a made up story.
Thanks for pointing that out, I knew there was something that was bugging me about that comment. Well other than the inference that a confederate flag not only means someone is racist(whatever!) but that it now means they're anti-gay too. Good grief!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
Yes. my grandmother is younger, she's only 61 as of two months ago. I'm not making anything up and don't feel the need to either. I'm glad my grandmother finally decided to move up to Omaha and leave all of that backwardness behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska