U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 PM

20,789 posts, read 35,832,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
For those of you who want to know, the last language I put in my post was Norwegian.
uff da!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,390,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
uff da!

Definitely takes a "state of mind" to live here and appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM

13,913 posts, read 19,083,409 times
I think it's safe to say that "cascaded_remnants" is Independent_Thinker84_" under a different name. Their penchant for resurrecting old threads and posting style in general is very much alike.

Now, as far as the "Omaha vs. the rest of Nebraska" debate, here is my 2 cents.

It would be beyond ludicrous and down right impossible to put an end to the rural lifestyle of Nebraska. The agriculture work being down there is far too important to Nebraska to just drop it, and I would never support such a thing as people should be free to live the rural lifestyle if they so choose.

Now at the same time, I'd like to see some measure that would allow Omaha (and in Lincoln FWIW) to set their own laws for their city. There is no reason they should be subject to the same laws as the more conservative areas of the state (see the "Last Call" law). There either needs to be a provision for Omaha to exclude itself from such laws or take a more active rule in writing it's own laws...maybe both.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,896 times
As far as the "last call" rule, that's pretty much the way its implemented now.

The state law is 1:00 am, and the bars can be open 7 days a week. Some cities have chosen to put more strict regulations in place. Some cities don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, for example. Heck, there are some towns in Nebraska that do not allow ANY alcohol sales at any time (Chambers, NE). The 1:00- 7 days a week state law is just the most liberal policy that may be adopted, any township or city is allowed to restrict that.

At the federal level, we don't have one set of laws for Massachusetts and California and another for Nebraska and Kansas.

That said, this problem is easily worked around by simply having a 2:00 am last call statewide, and then local governments can restrict that more if they like (e.g. by keeping their last call at 1:00 am). If the last call law is changed this will be the most likely way.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM

13,913 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
As far as the "last call" rule, that's pretty much the way its implemented now.

The state law is 1:00 am, and the bars can be open 7 days a week. Some cities have chosen to put more strict regulations in place. Some cities don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, for example. Heck, there are some towns in Nebraska that do not allow ANY alcohol sales at any time (Chambers, NE). The 1:00- 7 days a week state law is just the most liberal policy that may be adopted, any township or city is allowed to restrict that.

At the federal level, we don't have one set of laws for Massachusetts and California and another for Nebraska and Kansas.

That said, this problem is easily worked around by simply having a 2:00 am last call statewide, and then local governments can restrict that more if they like (e.g. by keeping their last call at 1:00 am). If the last call law is changed this will be the most likely way.
Yeah, that's the problem Matt. The more conservative rural areas of Nebraska push hard for more conservative laws and Omaha has to submit to that if they get passed.

Either the state needs to pass a very liberal "last call" hour and let the individual cities mandate earlier hours, or a law needs to be passed that lets Omaha exclude itself from that law and set it's own hours...I really don't care which way it's done...it just needs to be done.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,896 times
I would just have a major problem with Omaha receiving an exception to the 1:00 am closing. That would actually suck dollars out of towns near Omaha, for example Lincoln.

I get you point, and agree with it. I just one it to be a universal law, which allows each city to choose. I do not want a special exception that applies only to Omaha.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM

32 posts, read 108,470 times
It seems to me that MattDen and DTOluv need to move to Chicago or NYC or some other cesspool and leave the rest of Nebraska alone. People like that are what has ruined the small towns.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
Don't think I haven't considered it. Instead I'd rather stay here and try to get Omaha up to speed with every other place. I don't know what small town I'm ruining since I don't, and would never live in one.

There's a reason that people leave places like Nebraska and go to places like NYC/Chicago. They have diversity in ways to live, work, and play. The extreme small mindedness and unworldliness of many small town Nebraskans hasn't been working for them since people are fleeing those areas in mass. Something about small town NE living and thinking is broke so why keep going with it.

I'm the kind of person you want living in this state. People like me are the future and if you don't do what you can to keep people like me you're going to get left behind.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
Regarding what? Rural NE's population is in decline and has been for decades and nothing any of their leaders has come up with has done anything to stop it.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,204,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Regarding what? Rural NE's population is in decline and has been for decades and nothing any of their leaders has come up with has done anything to stop it.
It's cyclical. People moving away from rural areas have been a VERY recent trend following economic conditions. There's really nothing their leaders can feasibly do at this point.

In the future you will probably see many rural type communities revive and spring up out of nowhere. Ag commodities will almost surely gain in value in years to come therefore stabilizing things.

Also, you can bet on "self-sustaining" type communities being a wave of the future. As social problems continue to rise, people will move away from cities and follow new energy jobs (assuming Obama isn't full of ****).

I'm not getting into "type of people". Thatís way too subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or