U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:48 AM

673 posts, read 3,747,416 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering why rural interests take priority over Omaha in this state. I really think Omaha could go from being the mediocre overall (it has advantages and disadvantages) but overall a very middle of the road place to being exceptional if it just did one thing. Forget about the rural areas of the state that continue to lose population that have decreasing relevance on the state population wise and are a major drain on the city of Omaha's economy.

Personally, I think as far as future highway projects go except for the main Interstate all those capital transportation projects in rural Nebraska should be
forgotten. Why spend so much for infrastructure for such unpopulated areas? With the massive population declines why should the state bother. Omaha could have a light-rail system and a tremendous road infrastrcuture if it werent for rural Nebraska interests and silly, underutilized road projects in the middle of nowhere.

Trolleys, Light-Rails and even a better highway infrastructure would do alot for Omaha and if all the rural special interest for a very few projects were to be written off then Omaha could be a very nice city with that sort of adavanced transportation infrastructure.

Also, as far as the universities why not just have University of Nebraska Lincoln and Omaha and close all the other state colleges in rural areas. I dont see what Peru State, Wayne State and Chadron State's purposes are other then to drain college money from the University of Nebraska Omaha and Lincoln.
After all where the state colleges are located when the students graduate the job oppurtunities in those areas are a drop in the bucket compared to Omaha.

I also think other then the community college in Omaha that the other community college systems really serve little purpose being that the rural economy is so undiverse compared to Omaha and other medium and large cities. So basically it would be a step in the right direction if all the community colleges were closed except for Omaha.

Additionally, it would be nice if Omaha and Lincoln voted as a bloc because between the Omaha metro counties in Nebraska and Lancaster County they have more then enough representation to over-ride rural special interests that seek to drain prosperity from Omaha.

Also as far as regional centers and state nursing homes why should they have those in rural areas not in close proximity to very large hospitals. In my opinion those should also be relocated to the Omaha area.

I just think its a shame that in my opinion this state doesnt have an always Omaha first policy. After all, it is a metro area (CSA) of 860,000 people (including some counties in Iowa) in a state of 1.7 million (Nebraska).

Last edited by MattDen; 04-07-2007 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 AM

585 posts, read 1,991,775 times
I'm not sure what you mean by Nebraska not being pro-Omaha. Omaha seems doing be doing great. Nebraska's lifeblood is agriculture and according to you, you'd prefer those smaller cities to die. With this expected ethanol boom, agree with this technology or not, will have a large impact on rural areas of Nebraska and this needs to be planned out and anticipated. Small city, rural communities IMO are America and need all the help they can get. It's part of history that is on a path of being endangered.

Look at how NYC sucked the life out of the rest of the state of NY. Some cities in Upstate have only third of the populations they had in the 60's and 70's. That's a direct result of everyone funneling money to NYC and neglecting the rest of the state, with a slight exception of Albany. That is exactly what you are proposing.

Screw Omaha, it's doing just fine. It's the rest of the state that needs help.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,671,523 times
Close all of the state nursing homes in small communities and move them to Omaha? You have to be kidding, don't you realize that these people have their families and friends with them in the communities they live in? Wow, you really made my head spin with that one MattDen. Yeah, I can't even think straight now.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Its the medium and big cities who need the help, not the small towns. The big cities have drained and discriminated against for decades in favor of declining rural areas. The one thing Nebraskans should do is get over their outdated nostalgia for rural areas and see them for what they truely are very low quality of life places that have been declining for nearly a century. I have to admit I am truely shocked how Nebraska turns its back on Omaha infrastructure in favor of small towns several hours from the nearest interstate system.

Regarding a previous post, yes and that NYC first policy I guess has been wonderful for New York. I think whether its a very large city like NYC or a medium sized city like Omaha or Des Moines the largest city in the state should always come first in state policy.

I think it would be great for example if they closed to the Nebraska state colleges, University of Nebraska-Kearney and the community colleges outside of Omaha and all that could go for a better University of Nebraska campuses in Lincoln and Omaha and for the technical college system in Omaha. University of Nebraska Omaha for instance could turn into a much larger university then and be much of a draw.

Also, a great way to increase the Omaha is to give Douglas county first priority at road projects. I was looking at what the state tends to spend on roads in very rural areas and it made my stomach turn when that could go to Omaha for a first-rate transit system. Wouldnt Omahans like high-rise condos all along an extensive light-rail line? That would decrease the property taxes and put there city on the map if it werent for very rural small rural Nebraska interests which seek to drain resources from Omaha.

I have no problem with small towns if they touristy, topographically appealing or have large lake or ocean near them.

I just think with the plains states with the exception of the Rapid City, South Dakota area which fits the touristy, topgraphically appealing profile and is increasing in population that the rest is pretty much a drain on their prospective states.

I have no problem with agriculture though but cant corperate-owned farms with migrant workers do all the farm work. I think rural areas of Nebraska are at a point now with the 2006 census statistics from counties that came out that alot of these counties serve little purpose other then for agriculture and that can be done with migrant workers.

This ethanol boom in rural areas is at the expense of urban areas families who will have to pay more for meat, butter, chesse and soda. Personally, I dont think urban cities (like Omaha, Denver, Chicago) should have to pay more food because of poor agricultural policy with this ethanol craze.
Corn should go for food and not low-energy fuel.

As far as Nebraska goes, Omaha would be a great city not the middle of the road one overall it is now if the legislature voted as a bloc for Omaha's and sometimes Lincoln's interests only.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-07-2007 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 04:29 PM

585 posts, read 1,991,775 times
Omaha doesn't need any help. You aren't making any sense. You obviously have a bias as a city boy and a strong disdain for rural living.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,380,096 times
Wow! That's amazing that someone (MattDen) can talk so authoritatively about the value to the economic condition of the state/country of cities vs rural areas. Does MattDen have a masters degree in economics? Hopefully he didn't study at Princeton University, since even though that college is rated #1 in the country, the town has a population about 1/2 the size of Kearney. So, really, how good could it possibly be?

Hmmm . . . I know, I bet he was born the son of a Kansas wheat farmer or Nebraska rancher, so he knows first hand what impact the agricultural industry has had on feeding the world. Maybe, his daddy was forced to sell out to a large international corporation that has ties to the meat or food processing industry, so they can get money from the beginning, middle, and end of the food chain. Heaven forbid that they'd pass along any savings to the po' city folk having to buy their food off the grocery store shelves, just like the independent farmer does!

Or maybe, his mother ran the local dry goods store in a small rural town that supplied the needs of the community for decades until the SuperWalMart came to town and she was forced to close her doors.

Yes, maybe MattDen has led a life full of diverse experiences and has an educational background that has made him extremely insightful about city life versus rural life. . . . Or maybe MattDen has no idea what he talking about!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:57 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,494 times
Mattden,

Your idea is a bit far fetched. First of all, we live in a democratic society, so the idea that we can just cut off infrastructure support to people because they don't live in Omaha is ridiculous. The money that goes to the rural areas is done so in a proportional manner!

Secondly, the reason we don't cut money for roads and highways to rural areas can be pretty represented with line of thought. When is the last time corn, soybeans, beef, or any agricultural product was developed in Omaha??? These things are produced in rural areas and must be transported to population centers.

Failing to have a non-centralized infrastructure was one of the primary reasons the Soviet Union fell! Capitalism is what dictates our infrastructure, based upon changing and shifting populations (caused by changing and shifting economic opportunities). The exact thing you are proposing would eventually lead to a stagnant economy and would result in the exact opposite outcome that you're trying to produce.

Omaha is as successful as it is based on agriculture! It may not be obvious to you, but with the farmers and ranchers in Nebraska Omaha would be nothing.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,494 times
Another thing....How do you expect the country to eat? Plus, UNO is not a better school than UNK. They are on the same page. I agree that UNL is better, but what does that have to do with it?? I grew up in a rural area and I went UNL. You can not just equate tourism and large population to superiority. You claim small towns are ok if they are "touristy". Well, small towns produce and enormous amount for this country, whether you think they're worthy of tax dollars or not!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Omaha could be a gem, if the rest of the state wasnt holding it back!

I have no bias against rural areas so long as they are close to amazing natural surroundings such as mountain ranges and large lakes. Rural resorts tend to attract very well-off retirees which are wonderful for the state economy. Just look at the Northern lakes region of Minnesota between Duluth and Thunder Bay, Ontario or the resorts in the rockies. Those retirees are big spenders and are great for the economy and they dont increase property taxes because all they need is good basic services (roads, water, sewers) and expensive one and two-room school houses!

They cant transport agricultural products on dirt roads? Besides cant they just decrease maintance on viaducts and have a 24 hour timeline so that the agricultural trucks could have a certain time period the day or night they would drive to the elevators? Overall, the state spending hundreds of millions of dollars just so agricultural products can be transported during harvest in excessive.

I dont think rural areas should be completely off from the state. But I do think what ever Omaha wishes for it should get first. I think the state legislators in Omaha and Lincoln should always put Omaha first and not doing so means they dont have any respect for the people who elected them.

A good example is keeping elementary only schools open, I think as far as that is concerned that only school districts of a thousand or more students should recieve state funding. Cant rural areas just function for migrant labor purposes part of the year then they wouldnt have to worry about schools.

Wouldnt it be great if the state legislature in Nebraska was more concerned about providing state tax dollars to UNMC, UNO and a light-rail system in Omaha or tax incentives for high-rises. Rather then worrying about rural areas and their one and two room school districts.

I was just looking at the state budget and its amazing. If Nebraska closed the rural state college system down, the community college system down (except for Omaha) overall and University of Nebraska Kearney it would save the state around 120 million dollars a year.

The around 120 million dollar savings could go to big expansions at University of Nebraska Omaha, UNMC and the community/technical college system in Omaha and also capital infrastructure projects in downtown Omaha.

I was also looking at the capital construction agenda for the state and its amazing how much is going to spent on declining rural areas at the expense of Omaha. If they just cut 20% of those rural special interests projects planned over the next 7 years they could start a brand-new light rail or trolley line in Omaha.

Usually a light-rail or trolley-line is great for urban devolopment as high-density retail and residential projects tend to be built along light-rail and trolley lines.

Its sad that these things will not likely happen in Omaha in the near-future because of rural special-interests that get what the want at the expense of cities.

I do think rural areas serve a purpose if they are near a beautiful big lake or a very visually appealing mountain range though as those rural areas in close-proximity to amazing unique scenery tend to attract wealthy retirees who improve a states economy.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-07-2007 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 10:56 PM

48 posts, read 155,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I have no bias against rural areas so long as they are close to amazing natural surroundings such as mountain ranges and large lakes. Rural resorts tend to attract very well-off retirees which are wonderful for the state economy. Just look at the Northern lakes region of Minnesota between Duluth and Thunder Bay, Ontario or the resorts in the rockies. Those retirees are big spenders and are great for the economy and they dont increase property taxes because all they need is good basic services (roads, water, sewers) and expensive one and two-room school houses!

They cant transport agricultural products on dirt roads? Besides cant they just decrease maintance on viaducts and have a 24 hour timeline so that the agricultural trucks could have a certain time period the day or night they would drive to the elevators? Overall, the state spending hundreds of millions of dollars just so agricultural products can be transported during harvest in excessive.

I dont think rural areas should be completely off from the state. But I do think what ever Omaha wishes for it should get first. I think the state legislators in Omaha and Lincoln should always put Omaha first and not doing so means they dont have any respect for the people who elected them.

A good example is keeping elementary only schools open, I think as far as that is concerned that only school districts of a thousand or more students should recieve state funding. Cant rural areas just function for migrant labor purposes part of the year then they wouldnt have to worry about schools.

Wouldnt it be great if the state legislature in Nebraska was more concerned about providing state tax dollars to UNMC, UNO and a light-rail system in Omaha or tax incentives for high-rises. Rather then worrying about rural areas and their one and two room school districts.

I was just looking at the state budget and its amazing. If Nebraska closed the rural state college system down, the community college system down (except for Omaha) overall and University of Nebraska Kearney it would save the state around 120 million dollars a year.

The around 120 million dollar savings could go to big expansions at University of Nebraska Omaha, UNMC and the community/technical college system in Omaha and also capital infrastructure projects in downtown Omaha.

I was also looking at the capital construction agenda for the state and its amazing how much is going to spent on declining rural areas at the expense of Omaha. If they just cut 20% of those rural special interests projects planned over the next 7 years they could start a brand-new light rail or trolley line in Omaha.

Usually a light-rail or trolley-line is great for urban devolopment as high-density retail and residential projects tend to be built along light-rail and trolley lines.

Its sad that these things will not likely happen in Omaha in the near-future because of rural special-interests that get what the want at the expense of cities.

I do think rural areas serve a purpose if they are near a beautiful big lake or a very visually appealing mountain range though as those rural areas in close-proximity to amazing unique scenery tend to attract wealthy retirees who improve a states economy.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Can I just say this MattDen? I don't mean to hurt you in any way or change your mind in any way, but what the hell do you have against Omaha or Lincoln? Dan nap it to the crapy holy bah dagnitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or