U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM

46 posts, read 85,545 times
Default One Last Question....Well Maybe

How close do you live to Oshkosh?
Did your friend happen to mention, about locals (Nebraska Born) being welcoming to newcomers?

Thanks Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
You are welcome. Surviving, here, quite well, on a pension, Roots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 PM

252 posts, read 446,544 times
Sorry to tell you that I am quite a ways from Oshkosh. I am around Alma.

To be very honest, I think that where I am is unusually progressive compared to farther West, in Nebraska, due to the remoteness, out there. But, if you don't mind that, it is really beautiful, out there.

Although, someone else may laugh to think that of Alma, there is quite a bit going on around our lake town...and, Republican City.

Open to newcomers??It really depends. The problem is, I think, that business and professionals make a concerted effort to boost the economy by exploring "friendliness." Where there is a falling off of retail business and legal and medical services, there is also less incentive to be all inclusive.

My friend did say that I should tell you about their really, good golf course. I forgot that, earlier. Sometimes, that's an indicator.

You might explore our area if you are just throwing a dart at the map. The Harlan Reservoir offers a lot of great fishing. In fact, maybe you should come down, in a camper--stay at our city campground, or, the Super 8 or one of the other motels, for awhile, and see what you think.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Thank you thank thank you

Hey Roots,

Thanks again for your information/input.
We may just explore the Alma area as well.
For some reason, I like the remoteness of the west.

Take Care,

Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
Sorry to tell you that I am quite a ways from Oshkosh. I am around Alma.

To be very honest, I think that where I am is unusually progressive compared to farther West, in Nebraska, due to the remoteness, out there. But, if you don't mind that, it is really beautiful, out there.

Although, someone else may laugh to think that of Alma, there is quite a bit going on around our lake town...and, Republican City.

Open to newcomers??It really depends. The problem is, I think, that business and professionals make a concerted effort to boost the economy by exploring "friendliness." Where there is a falling off of retail business and legal and medical services, there is also less incentive to be all inclusive.

My friend did say that I should tell you about their really, good golf course. I forgot that, earlier. Sometimes, that's an indicator.

You might explore our area if you are just throwing a dart at the map. The Harlan Reservoir offers a lot of great fishing. In fact, maybe you should come down, in a camper--stay at our city campground, or, the Super 8 or one of the other motels, for awhile, and see what you think.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 AM

252 posts, read 446,544 times
I understand that.

I belonged to a state-wide (professional) organization, for awhile. I still chuckle at myself for thinking that the 'farther west-ers' envied me for more access. "No-o-0!," they said, "There are too many people around Harlan county. I/we would rather be even farther 'out.' "

What puzzled me was that I think of myself as pretty remote. :-)

Nebraska truly is part urban and part very open country, so it's a hard concept for some.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:08 PM

369 posts, read 775,770 times
Oshkosh does still have a functioning hospital, but the infrastructure is in poor shape, and they are voting on a bond issue--something that has been pretty divisive to their small town. People don't want their taxes to go up, but they also don't want to lose their hospital.

Sadly, there is little to no economic development along that highway 26 route between Ogallala and Scottsbluff. Dirt cheap housing, but declining populations. Even Ogallala is suffering--they've relied on Lake McConaughy for their economy too long and the drought has killed that.

Scotty, you could pick just about anywhere west of York and find something remote. Although the climate does improve once you get west of about Cozad (100th Meridian)... Less humidity, fewer storms.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Hi Taken & Thanks

Taken

Thanks for your info!
I looked via the web at Cozad & Gothenburg and liked the size of the towns and imenities available versus Oshkosh.
But, in checking city data weather information, I see what you're saying in regards to storm activity, esp tornadooes. We want to stay away from too much tornado activity if possible.
I think about 6 months prior to retirement, wife and I will fly to Denver, head to Nebraska and spend 2-3 weeks going over the entire area.

Thanks,

Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Oshkosh does still have a functioning hospital, but the infrastructure is in poor shape, and they are voting on a bond issue--something that has been pretty divisive to their small town. People don't want their taxes to go up, but they also don't want to lose their hospital.

Sadly, there is little to no economic development along that highway 26 route between Ogallala and Scottsbluff. Dirt cheap housing, but declining populations. Even Ogallala is suffering--they've relied on Lake McConaughy for their economy too long and the drought has killed that.

Scotty, you could pick just about anywhere west of York and find something remote. Although the climate does improve once you get west of about Cozad (100th Meridian)... Less humidity, fewer storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska