U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM

46 posts, read 82,052 times
Default Oshkosh, Nebraska; Info Request

Greetings To All:

I am seeking info about Oshkosh, Ne. My wife and I are considering retiring there in 2.5 yrs from our present location of Alaska. I have been through the area several times and would be appreciative of any detailed information that I could get.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

369 posts, read 739,084 times
If is a town of maybe 600(??), the county seat of Garden County, has a small hospital, a small Cabela's return center, and a small downtown. It is on highway 26, the main east/west highway through the lower half of the panhandle. It is about 45 minutes from Ogallala, and about 25 minutes north of I-80. It is about 75 minutes from Scottsbluff, the largest town in the panhandle.

Excellent goose hunting, but most of the good spots are leased up for exhorbinant prices.

What specifically do you want to know?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Thank You

I guess specifically, availablity of decent housing at a decent price.
How welcoming to new folks, not frpom Ne, the local community is..that type of stuff.
My wife and I are used to rural remote so that will not be an issue at all.
Is there a veterinarian in Oshkosh?....we have dogs.
Any info at all we'd appreciate.
As stated we've been through there sev times, but never a long term stayover.
We're just looking for a decent place to live and it being affordable to live on my pension. I'm retiring in 2.5 yrs from fire department here in Alaska.

Thanks,
Scotty

Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 PM

369 posts, read 739,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyray View Post
I guess specifically, availablity of decent housing at a decent price.
How welcoming to new folks, not frpom Ne, the local community is..that type of stuff.
My wife and I are used to rural remote so that will not be an issue at all.
Is there a veterinarian in Oshkosh?....we have dogs.
Any info at all we'd appreciate.
As stated we've been through there sev times, but never a long term stayover.
We're just looking for a decent place to live and it being affordable to live on my pension. I'm retiring in 2.5 yrs from fire department here in Alaska.

Thanks,
Scotty
Not sure about the housing. Oshkosh has a lot of transplants, so you'd be OK there.

I don't think they have a vet, Ogallala would probably be your closest, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Default Thanks Again

I appreciate the info very much.
If you can think of anything else; please fire along my way.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 PM

252 posts, read 425,337 times
Hang on. I am having 'coffee' with someone from Oshkosh, tomorrow. Will ask questions and get back to you.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Default Sounds Great

That would be super, thanks much!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
Hang on. I am having 'coffee' with someone from Oshkosh, tomorrow. Will ask questions and get back to you.
So,..nice to see an old friend. She hasn't been back to Oshkosh, for awhile, but is familiar with it.

She does sadly report that it is a dying business district albeit a pretty, little town; and, a hunter/fisherman's paradise.

And, she relates that most present business is done in Ogallalla. However, she thinks there is still a hospital--at least a satellite operative--in Oshkosh. Possibly, you can still make clinical appointments with a roving M.D., out of Ogallalla.

Because business is declining, she says that there are probably some nice houses, for bargain rates.

And, she suggests that, somehow, you get the most recent high school newsletter which has an excellent article about what is going on, in the town. Maybe call or write the school secretary who would be on staff, yet, this summer.

One last note: Osh Kosh is about 9 miles from Llewelyn, NE, another very, tiny town. But, it has a striving winery (called 17 Ranch) which hosts fun events. You might enjoy going over to that community and introducing yourselves. It seems like a very fun group---although, Ellen from Llewelyn, the vintner and vineyard owner will give you the impression that she bites...not so. She's a great gal.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Default Thanks So Much

Thanks so very much for getting this information for me.
My wife had actually suggested that we check out Lewellen and we will do so.
I'm sure between the (2) locations we'll find something and I think we'll be able to survive just fine on my pension.
Again, thanks, for your time/information.

God Bless,

Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
So,..nice to see an old friend. She hasn't been back to Oshkosh, for awhile, but is familiar with it.

She does sadly report that it is a dying business district albeit a pretty, little town; and, a hunter/fisherman's paradise.

And, she relates that most present business is done in Ogallalla. However, she thinks there is still a hospital--at least a satellite operative--in Oshkosh. Possibly, you can still make clinical appointments with a roving M.D., out of Ogallalla.

Because business is declining, she says that there are probably some nice houses, for bargain rates.

And, she suggests that, somehow, you get the most recent high school newsletter which has an excellent article about what is going on, in the town. Maybe call or write the school secretary who would be on staff, yet, this summer.

One last note: Osh Kosh is about 9 miles from Llewelyn, NE, another very, tiny town. But, it has a striving winery (called 17 Ranch) which hosts fun events. You might enjoy going over to that community and introducing yourselves. It seems like a very fun group---although, Ellen from Llewelyn, the vintner and vineyard owner will give you the impression that she bites...not so. She's a great gal.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:57 PM

You are welcome. Surviving, here, quite well, on a pension, Roots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska