U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:50 PM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I would mention, Lincoln is not bible belt- that would be more of the eastern Oklahoma, eastern Texas, through Arkansas area. Big difference in that regard, though there are plenty of screw-ball conservatives here.
I am not going to say anything about MO and the bible belt, but NWA isn't all that bible belt either. Many who live here work for major companies or have moved here from other places. We do not wear our religion on our sleeve, as for conservatives, did the Op mention not wanting to live near conservatives? Maybe I missed that part...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM

300 posts, read 1,052,832 times
As a liberal Christian, I take offense to the "screwball liberals" comment. I'm a liberal and I'm not a screwball. Neither is my husband, my best friend, my father, or my mother, thank you very much.

Honestly I don't think Lincoln needs any more bible-belt pushing screwball conservatives.
We're perfectly fine being half red and half blue in this city. We're melting together to make a nice purple color actually.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:24 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
As a liberal Christian, I take offense to the "screwball liberals" comment. I'm a liberal and I'm not a screwball. Neither is my husband, my best friend, my father, or my mother, thank you very much.

Honestly I don't think Lincoln needs any more bible-belt pushing screwball conservatives.
We're perfectly fine being half red and half blue in this city. We're melting together to make a nice purple color actually.
I am at the other side of the fence but I agree with you, I don't like your comment about bible-pushing screwball conservatives. You take offense at someone using the term "screwball lberals" but then turn around and say it to the conservaitves.

Now, yes a balance is good, as for name calling, on either part, I find it not only insulting but more, very childish. We did that in elementary school, not as adults.

Nita

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Default Springfield

Wow. With your judgemental comments and desires, you will fit right in
in Springfield. I have lived in both cities and Springfield is the belt buckle of the bible belt. Enjoy, however, neither will absolutely fit what you are trying to get away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotClues View Post
My family has lived in a big city for a long time and we're sick of the crime, illegal immigration, drugs, violence, rising costs, and screwball liberals. We're looking for a low-crime, family-oriented, friendly, bible-belt, and peaceful sort of area with a population between 100k and 250k. Not a suburb of a bigger city, but a city unto itself. We need something with modern hospitals and services and decent wages, but without the extremes of the big cities. We're looking for a place where being hard-working, honest, and fundamentally decent doesn't put you in the minority.

We've been looking in different areas and two places we've come across that seem to fit this criteria are Lincoln, NE, and Springfield, MO. Both seem like nice cities.

What we wanted to know is which the better city to live in? Which has lower crime, better opportunities, better housing prices, etc... What are each city's good points and bad points? What are the differences and which would you live in if you had a choice?

Also, are there any other cities you would suggest that might fit what we're looking for?

Any suggestions, advice, or ideas are greatly appreciated. We just want to find someplace to live in that's like the way America used to be.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
HAHA I HATE Lincoln.... the jails are over populated! police here do what ever they ****ing feel like doing! just like missouri... go on vacation and leave on probation! the only nice thing about lincoln is the fact that reefer has been de criminalized. otherwise... the job market sucks in lincoln! the crime rate is rediculious! METH is everywhere! hmmm.... what else can I tell ya about lincoln! they are quick to offer felony charges! if you wanna be a COP... their are plenty of jobs! Lincoln's population is per capita... the largest cop city I have ever been in... YES PLEASE MOVE TO LINCOLN.... the place that wants to put you in jail for defending your self! I was jumped by 3 guys... one got hurt by me as I was defending my self.... and WHO goes to jail? the man defending himself! I would choose springfield...BUT they are even worse than lincoln when it comes to vacation and probation! My family owns a 1200 acre farm near springfield!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

123 posts, read 362,486 times
Hmmm...neither, I would chose Northwest Arkansas, like Bentonville, Rogers or Fayetteville...even Bella Vista is great. Better scenery, better weather, a variety of things to do, very friendly people. Southern MO is not as nice as Northwest Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska