Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbie View Post
Ok, here we go, does “any type of palm” mean, some type of palm or every type of palm. Exactly what type you’re interested in, only you know and it will take some research to tell what kind of conditions your choice will need. Plants need sun, water, warmth, a specific soil type, and specific nutrients. You must do research to figure out what the requirements are for your choice and then figure out to provide them.

Keeping a palm warm and sheltered from the Nebraska weather is going to be quite a trick, some varieties of palms can grow pretty tall 15-25 feet, but there are some bush-like varieties. Figuring out just how warm a plant needs to be kept to survive requires researching their Growing Degree Days (GDD) and a little care is required here because GDD in North America are calculated 50/85 (50°F base & 85°F cap), palms can be sub-tropic or tropic and those could use of different calculation base and cap, which would require conversion (spread-sheet)

It’s another one of those things, even if you build a solar structure to provide heat for free (try BuildItSolar.com), the structure will cost something to build, and you’d better really want a palm! I would suggest a solar green house book and a spread-sheet to figure out just what you’re getting yourself into before you this; know your total cost before drive into growing a tropical plant in Nebraska.

Have fun.

Curbie
Ok, I know you are going to laugh, but I want 2 of these in my backyard.

Not happening I'm guessing? I would be willing to build a couple of them small solar housings for each. Wouldnt they suffer at night though?

I may also be willing to have the trees professionally maintenanced. I know I sound crazy, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM

43 posts, read 138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Ok, I know you are going to laugh, but I want 2 of these in my backyard.

Not happening I'm guessing? I would be willing to build a couple of them small solar housings for each. Wouldnt they suffer at night though?

I may also be willing to have the trees professionally maintenanced. I know I sound crazy, lol.
That looks like a Phoenix Palm (Canary Island Date)... which would be slow growing and I think the minimum temp is below 32 degrees. It can tolerate some snow... but will definately need protected in nebraska winters. I believe they have been grown up in Seattle though!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallen101 View Post
That looks like a Phoenix Palm (Canary Island Date)... which would be slow growing and I think the minimum temp is below 32 degrees. It can tolerate some snow... but will definately need protected in nebraska winters. I believe they have been grown up in Seattle though!
Well thats encouraging! Any better ideas for palm trees?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Well thats encouraging! Any better ideas for palm trees?
You might want to check into the Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) which mature trees are said to go down to 5ºF to −4 ºF with out protection, while younger trees will definately need protection for the first couple years. There is reports of them being grown in the panhandle of Alaska though!

Right now I have a 7-8 foot tall Queen Palm, although it is in a pot which I take in each winter. If you don't mind doing this, it opens up your options for Palm trees in Nebraska greatly!!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallen101 View Post
You might want to check into the Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) which mature trees are said to go down to 5ºF to −4 ºF with out protection, while younger trees will definately need protection for the first couple years. There is reports of them being grown in the panhandle of Alaska though!

Right now I have a 7-8 foot tall Queen Palm, although it is in a pot which I take in each winter. If you don't mind doing this, it opens up your options for Palm trees in Nebraska greatly!!
Thanks for the input! Very cool tree. I think what I will do is leave them potted (very large pots so they grow a bit larger) and each spring I will burry the pot ground level in landscaping so they appear naturally grown. Then I will just bring them in every fall. I would guess I could have them out from March-October?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Whats with the name change That-Guy/Burgerflipper?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Whats with the name change That-Guy/Burgerflipper?
Shhh...I'm in the witness protection program.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
I see, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska