U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 51,190 times

Advertisements

I’m looking to move to Nebraska, somewhere in Boyd, Brown, Cherry, Keya Paha, Holt, or Rock counties, I’m looking for a small house on 4+ acres. I ran a computer report on those counties for cites within them and then for the name of local newspapers the place a want ad in. Google turned up these papers:

Ainsworth Star-Journal
Atkinson Graphic
The Butte Gazette
The Springview Herald
WRANGLER
Midland News & Printing
My questions are:

1) Can anyone tell me the name of any paper I missed?
2) Does anyone know of such a property?

Thanks,

Curbie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,285,707 times
There are a couple flyer/shopper papers that circulate the area also. There are some of those properties like you are looking for in the area, you are going to find them more than likely on the edge of the towns.

I would sure check with the local realtors.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM

[quote=Sandhills Guru;9227029]There are a couple flyer/shopper papers that circulate the area also.quote]

Thanks, but I need names so I can google them, I don't currently live in that part of the country.

Curbie

Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,965,991 times
Valentine in cherry county? Maybe you had it and it was one of those different names, and I imagine those properties would be plentiful too.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,804,143 times
Midland News covers Valentine (Cherry County). Nice folks and very helpful; they have the local realtors' listings in them. The Pioneer Advertiser has Ainsworth and Cherry County, and some South Dakota areas, too. It is published by the Ainsworth Star-Journal, Midland News, Rock County Leader and Gregory Times-Advocate.

4 acres is kinda small, most properties I've seen listed run 5-10-20 acres unless it is a house on a lot. Why only 4 acres?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Midland News covers Valentine (Cherry County). Nice folks and very helpful; they have the local realtors' listings in them. The Pioneer Advertiser has Ainsworth and Cherry County, and some South Dakota areas, too. It is published by the Ainsworth Star-Journal, Midland News, Rock County Leader and Gregory Times-Advocate.

4 acres is kinda small, most properties I've seen listed run 5-10-20 acres unless it is a house on a lot. Why only 4 acres?
Thank you very much, added them to my list.
(4+) 4 is a minimum, I'd certainly go for 5 or 10.

I thought I read on this board somewhere, (maybe I'm mistaken) that you do a lot of gardening? Do know of a place in the area sells indigenous heirloom food crop seeds?

Thanks,

Curbie

Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Well, I'm TRYING to do a lot of gardening, let me put it that way! I haven't found a source yet for indigenous heirlooms, so I'm currently in experimentation mode, seeing what grows well and what grows poorly - and what doesn't grow at all.

While I do try to use heirlooms whenever possible, I have had some trouble in the past with them - sometimes the F1s that are bred for mold resistance, for example, are necessary if you want to have produce at all in a moist area, or drought and heat tolerant varieties are necessary where the summers are long and hot and springs are short lived. So I'm giving every seed I can, a shot at growing.

I will tell you that the Sandhills are excellent for potatoes; every danged one has come up - including the leftover ones that I found in the cool room in the basement that were covered in eyes! There are several potato farms around me, and my brother who drives a truck came to O'Neill to the potato farm there and loaded up with over 60,000 lbs of potatoes... to go to the Ore-Ida plant in ID to be processed into tater tots, etc. Ahem.

This has been a weird spring - a dry May where the heat climbed into the 80's, and ever since June 1, the temps have not been above 75, with lows dropping to the mid-30's. Very weird. My friends tell me that they have lost whole vegetable gardens to frost as late as the second week in June... Weather is very iffy here.

Right now I am dressing in camo and riot gear, preparing to go out and take care of the gophers and bunnies, though... lil devils.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, I'm TRYING to do a lot of gardening, let me put it that way! I haven't found a source yet for indigenous heirlooms, so I'm currently in experimentation mode, seeing what grows well and what grows poorly - and what doesn't grow at all.
How long you been at it in NE, sounds like a small home-business to me? You seed your own plants, I could be first customer.

Curbie

Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM

I've only been here a year; and it MAY be the start of a home business by-and-by. Still working on getting things set up. Even if it isn't, it'll feed ME - I hope! LOL

Going for the organic approach; horse manure, chicken manure, compost, mixed together and watered down with straw into a slurry for fertilizer, the vegies seem to think it is wonderful so far... seeing how things will work here. Plus I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

There is supposedly a primarily-organic Farmer's Market in Gordon abt 50 miles W from here; they open in midJune so I may be developing relationships there too.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,742,846 times
. . . Do know of a place in the area sells indigenous heirloom food crop seeds?

Thanks,

Curbie
Curbie,
Try this outfit for grasses and flowers Stock Seed Farms - Prairie Grass - Wild Flower - Buffalo Grass - Legume - Mix - Seeds - Prairiegrass - Wildflower - Pasture

If I remember correctly the BURPEE seed catalog has a section devoted to different Heirloom varieties of garden veggies and fruits.

Good luck,

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska