Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 AM

304 posts, read 904,338 times

Advertisements

I read about the NE sandhill region. Can you please list some towns that are included in this region? Is Kearney, Grand Island and Holdrege part of that region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Actually - and remember I am not a local, and traveled via interstate - I don't remember any hills til we got west of Grand Island. We stayed in York on our last leg of the journey, and it was flat plains as far as the eye could see. It didn't start getting hilly til we got west of Kearney. North Platte, Valentine, Chadron, Ogallala, Alliance, and south and west are in the Sandhills. The land gets hillier and hillier the further you get to Wyoming, and starts to slope gently downwards as you head east. Those are the "big" towns. (Again, "big" depends on your perspective.) There are lots of little quaint towns, with mostly gas stations, feed and seed stores, and farm equipment supply stores, a little restaurant or bar, and lots more of wide open places. You might do a Google Earth or Mapquest Satellite map to see where the sloping begins.

What exactly are you looking for? Valentine has a golf course, I don't know about the other places (I'm sure Chadron probably would). As for restaurants and other amenities, not a lot of franchise places other than McDonalds, Subway, and Pizza Hut unless you get into North Platte or Chadron. (What amazes me and tickles me to death is that the folks in Valentine built their own swimming pool. They set up a tax and paid for it themselves (with help from the summer tourists who tube the Niobrara). I tried for 10 years to get the same thing done back east in a town twice Valentine's size, and no one would do it.) Folks here are PRACTICAL, and don't go hog-wild with do-gooder stuff, raising taxes indiscriminately "for the CHILDREN!" or for anybody else. It's pretty much pay-as-you-go here.

Last edited by SCGranny; 06-11-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,383 times
Kearney/GI/Holdrege are not part of the Sandhills. Neither are Ogallala or Alliance, but you're getting close. You can see them from there.

Although not generally the best scientific source, this map at Wikipedia outlines it well:

File:Map of Nebraska Sand Hills.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some towns that are in the Sandhills: Arthur, Mullen, Hyannis, Thedford, Lakeside. All bustling metro areas.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

119 posts, read 438,655 times
If you use Google Maps to show Nebraska, and click satellight view, zoom in a bit on the middle of the state, you will clearly see the sandhills. They are ridges of brown and green that resemble sand dunes, and it is a big area.

Not a lot of big towns, as the others have said. The Sandhills are the most sparsley populated in the state, as far as I know. When my fiance and I drove across the region two years ago, we'd pass the gate for a ranch... then miles and miles later, we'd pass yet another gate for the same ranch!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
Some of the towns I associate with the sandhills are: Hyannis, Seneca, Mullen, Thedford, Arnold, Stapleton, Brownlee, Halsey, Dunning, Brewster, and Anselmo.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 PM

304 posts, read 904,338 times
Thanks you guys, that answered it.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Kearney/GI/Holdrege are not part of the Sandhills. Neither are Ogallala or Alliance, but you're getting close. You can see them from there.

Although not generally the best scientific source, this map at Wikipedia outlines it well:

File:Map of Nebraska Sand Hills.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some towns that are in the Sandhills: Arthur, Mullen, Hyannis, Thedford, Lakeside. All bustling metro areas.
Not to mention my corner: Benkelman, Haigler, Champion...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Not to mention my corner: Benkelman, Haigler, Champion...
I've heard your area's sandhills called the sand-sage prairie as the sandhills there have more sage than the northern sandhills.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I guess I've never heard that one, though to be sure we do have a lot more sage.
I think it's a climate thing. we're a solid zone 5 down here, as opposed to a zone 4 up in the central and northern hills. Or maybe because it's a little dryer...

But the actual sand is the same.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM

I have a friend in Benkelman who refers to it as the Banana Belt of Nebraska. Must be the zone 5 thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska