Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM

35 posts, read 184,271 times

Advertisements

I'm still reading everything I can about NE. It keeps looking better., especially the west and west-central regions. My husband hunts and fishes and is excited about the deer in the Midwest. CA deer aren't as big or as plentiful. From what I've read, it looks like parts of western NE are under a big waterfowl flyover. That's terrific and I look forward to that. My concern is about potentially hazardous wildlife. (I'm not as brave as he is when it comes to wilderness adventures).

So far, I've heard about rattlesnakes in NE, but my husband has also mentioned bears. I'm also guessing there would be mountain lions and coyotes, like there are in our Sierra Nevada mountains.

What kind of wildlife should I plan for in regards to keeping livestock (chickens and goats in particular)? We want to settle on some rural acreage and I'd like to know what kind of wild things we'll be living among.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM

69 posts, read 191,444 times
you'll be fine..i grew up in no.easten NE , coyotes, deer, .....i lived there 25 yrs. and never saw a bear !!! mountain lions can't recall any of them either..not saying there may be in other areas...but i never saw any....racoons,yes...I lived in the southeastern and western part out by Kearney too.coyotes would prob. love the chickens..

Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,619 times
I believe there has only been one ever confirmed bear sighting in the state. So no need to worry about bears that is for sure. As for normal critters you will find if you live on a rural acerage, you will have some raccoons, possums, skunks, mink, woodchuck possibly, and if the northern or northwest part of state you can ad in a porcupine also. Sure you will have coyotes around, pretty doubtful you will see a mt. lion, they are around but they do keep to themselves.

Snakes? Sure there are some around, some areas have more rattlers than others, best to ask the locals, certain ridges tend to hold them more than others. You are going to see a lot of bullsnakes, good snake to have around.

Deer and turkeys no doubt. May also see some antelope or even elk depending on where you settle down. Guess I shouldn't forget about the bighorn sheep, a friend of mine has them on his property from time to time in the northwest part of the state.

Other than that you your biggest predator that will be after chickens causing problems will be coons, skunks, they will go after the little chicks and eggs.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melora1812 View Post
I'm still reading everything I can about NE. It keeps looking better., especially the west and west-central regions. My husband hunts and fishes and is excited about the deer in the Midwest. CA deer aren't as big or as plentiful. From what I've read, it looks like parts of western NE are under a big waterfowl flyover. That's terrific and I look forward to that. My concern is about potentially hazardous wildlife. (I'm not as brave as he is when it comes to wilderness adventures).

So far, I've heard about rattlesnakes in NE, but my husband has also mentioned bears. I'm also guessing there would be mountain lions and coyotes, like there are in our Sierra Nevada mountains.

What kind of wildlife should I plan for in regards to keeping livestock (chickens and goats in particular)? We want to settle on some rural acreage and I'd like to know what kind of wild things we'll be living among.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can offer.
Humans might encounter a rattlesnake or a Black Widow or Brown recluse spider but these encounters are very rare.

Mountain lions have been spotted in Nebraska but in recorded history in the State I know of no fatalities or even attacks from them.

Coyotes are abundant in Nebraska but the danger they pose to Humans is almost zero. However I would NOT let my toddler wander around unsupervised. Just common sense with toddlers anyway right?

Your chickens and goats may be on the menu though. Chicken Hawks (generic name for several species) and Eagles are protected species and are really abundant. They do love chicken. Coyotes like chicken also and if hungry enough might take a young goat.

One of the joys of country living is sitting outside in the evening and listening to Coyotes howl. When I was a kid I could call them in close by imitating their howl.

You will love our corn fed White Tail and Mule Deer. Not only do they taste great but Nebraska has had several of both species taken that are close to World records. If I am not mistaken the current World record Whitetail was taken in Southern Minnesota. It was huge.

Bird hunting is great all over Nebraska. There are two major flyovers in the State with ducks and geese in the millions at times. Pheasants, quail, grouse and prairie chickens can be found in various areas all over the state. I prefer the SW corner near McCook and Ogallala for most of my fishing and hunting. However that is just because I have relatives in the area so getting permission to hunt is easier for me than in other parts of the state.

GL2

Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 AM

84 posts, read 405,760 times
Just about anywhere in Nebraska you'll encounter the most dangerous animal in the US. This animal is responsible for the most human injuries and fatalities of any wild animal and that is the white-tailed deer. One of the most common wild animals that could threaten chickens and other birds is the ferrel cat. Very common in most parts of Nebraska and most other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska