U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM

252 posts, read 458,650 times

Advertisements

I still long for efficient train service. I understand: our sparse pop. can't buy enough tickets to pay for it and we, presently, can't do more govt subsidy. But, I took Eur Rail around Europe and the bullet train in Asia. I use the train to get to Denver, in the middle of the night, as it is, and home, again. Used to go back to UNL, that way, in the early - mid 60's. It was the way we traveled.

So-o, what if---I could board at the hour the schedule states and Go to Denver in one hour less than it takes to drive....what if--Amtrak was on time....what if--the cost was reasonable...what if----

Could a 'think tank' figure out how to do this? Then, I/we could live here, on the lake, and some of us could work or others just commiserate in Lincoln, Omaha, Denver.........Wouldn't we all gain??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,484,211 times
The high speed rail would be nice. I would consider taking it to Denver due to having family and friends in that area and not have to put the wear and tear on the car. I would love to have a route similar to what you are talking about in addition to a high speed line that would go from Winnepeg to KC, stopping in Grand Forks, Fargo, Watertown, Brookings, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Omaha, St. Joseph, and KC and one can switch trains in Omaha and head to either Chicago or Denver with a few stops but ride high speed for time and convenience.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM

369 posts, read 798,826 times
It is a nice idea, but not too practical without some MAJOR government subsidy. Not sure how that would go over...

Plus, I've always been disappointed with the public transport options when you GET to the city. Denver is better than Omaha, but there are still places "you can't get to from here."

Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM

231 posts, read 555,914 times
Depends how much it would cost....A plane ticket from Denver to Omaha is usually pretty cheap.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 3,286,091 times
i dont see much hope for a high speed rail network similar to europe or asia. i remember my mom saying she thought after ww2 that the trains would get better and the routes be enhanced, instead the passenger trains slowly faded. i remember as a kid in the 60's taking an overniter from chicago to sioux city. it was real exciting for a small boy, well it would still excite me. ive always loved trains.

i wonder what kind of investment it would take for say special tracks/safety features to accomodate the higher speeds, upgrading engines etc.,and what type of numbers they would expect to generate in their plan for chicago to st.paul run. with pples desire to hurry up and get there, in both business and personal travel, i cant see a high speed rail network really taking off. if ya think about the train trips across canada, the draw is a relaxing and scenic journey. past a novel experience, i cant see it ever being competetive with the airlines. they would also have to have similar security measures in place, meaning extra time for passengers, and extra money for staff. i doubt it would be a real cheap ride either. omaha to denver via high speed train, id say dont hold your breath.

what if...government wasnt full of waste and politicians meant what they said. thats a big little word...IF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska