Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 PM

673 posts, read 4,061,535 times

Advertisements

Nebraskans for the most part tend to be very close minded, unpolite with the exception of the Omaha area. Being from another state as far as open and polite I think Omaha area and the smaller towns around Omaha are good (Ashland, Valley, Fremont).

Ashland, Valley, Fremont are all smaller towns with almost a rural feel with close proximity to Omaha and offer the best of both worlds. Clean, small towns with plenty of space and they are in very close proximity to Omaha's amenities. Each are 15-25 minutes each from West Omaha which is where a vast majority of the amenities in Omaha area and yet they have more a rural feel.

Outside of Douglas, Cass and Sarpy Counties (all three in the Omaha metro but have nice rural areas close to Omaha) the culture immediately changes and a vast of majority of the people outside of these three counties in Nebraska are close-minded, arrogant and has very low standards.

Omaha has by far the strongest economy in the state and the highest wages, although North Platte (Western Nebraska close to Colorado border along I-80) tends to have a strong economy also.
So after those three smaller towns with close proximity to Omaha, North Platte might also be a town that meets your needs espeically considering its known to have a very strong economy for a rural area.

Lincoln area has a weak economy and very low wage scales because Lincoln has a plentiful supply of labor so they really dont need to raise the wages for Lincolnites for the most part. Generally, the area around Lincoln has one of the worst economies in the state.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-26-2007 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,000,895 times
Don't listen to Mattden. If you'd look at his other posts you can see for yourself how ridiculously biased he actually is. He has a general dislike for anything rural and anything involving families. He also tends to make facts up out of thin air. Check for yourself, but he is very anti-small town.

To Mattden: Where in the heck to you come up with the idea that the North Platte economy is stronger than Lincoln!!?? The area around Lincoln has one of the worst economies in the state??!! Are you serious! When you type this junk are you really doing it with a straight face? You see a few statistics, which are net necessarily in exchangeable contexts and you draw ridiculous conclusions. Lincoln is by no question the 2nd strongest economy in the state...next to Omaha.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM

417 posts, read 1,125,442 times
Unhappy Guys, don't bicker.....

I appriciate what you both have to say, and anyone else who chimes in as well. I understand that some of the posts may be simply of peoples opinions or based on differing research, but everyone's point of view contributes to building a complete picture of the subject. We may take a trip to scout out different areas of Nebraska as soon as this autumn, and anything I can learn will save us lots of time and trouble (neither of us has ever been to your state before).

Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,000,895 times
I certainly appreciate different opinions as well, but Mattden is not giving an opinion. He is purposely bashing every place in Nebraska, except Omaha. There are several people I disagree with, but I respect them for their opinion and thoughts. However, Matten is not one of them. He clearly has an agenda and pretty much anyone reading that would agree with that. DTO Luv is someone that I often disagree with, but I respect his opinion and his rational process of projecting his opinions. Mattden borders on hateful about his issues with Lincoln and rural Nebraska.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
We may take a trip to scout out different areas of Nebraska as soon as this autumn, and anything I can learn will save us lots of time and trouble (neither of us has ever been to your state before).
While some may take this wrong, what made your husband pick Nebraska since neither one of you have been there before? I would have the job lined up before moving away.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 PM

417 posts, read 1,125,442 times
Smile Not taken wrong at all~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
While some may take this wrong, what made your husband pick Nebraska since neither one of you have been there before? I would have the job lined up before moving away.
It isn't decided whether we'll be moving yet, but we should know by the end of summer if things will work out here in Michigan. If it comes to moving we will do a lot more serious research on available jobs, but the first thing I wanted to do was narrow down the parts of Nebraska in which to look. It's a big state! And I want to get a feel for how readily either of us could expect to find an entry level job, which parts of the state needs workers most, where the good fishing is, etc.
He chose Nebraska because of it's midwest location and low unemployment. The surrounding states like South Dakota, Iowa, etc. are good possibilities, too. We just don't want an overpopulated, metropolitan area and we're sick of the U.P. winters.
Thanks for the input

Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 AM

482 posts, read 2,220,655 times
us2lindaup,

With your husband in the security and detention you might want to take a look at either McCook, population of about 8500 people. You have several local lakes that you can go fishing at. The hunting is great there. You have a Wal Mart right there in town, in fact I think that they had the first Super Wal Mart in the state. The State of Nebraska has a work camp for convicted felons just on the north side of town.

They also have correctional facilities at York (5000), Tecumseh (1800) and also in Lincoln and Omaha.

Here is a web site that you can go to and see about jobs at the local prisions that Nebraska has.

http://www.wrk4neb.org/

There are also many larger local jails where you can check out. They have one in Wilber and Plattsmouth where they have federal contracts to house illegals and other federal prisoners. They have some out west by Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, North Platte, Scottsbluff so there are jobs available you just have to do some checkiing.

Here is another site that has some jobs in detention as well that are not on the first site that I gave to you.

http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/

Good luck with your job hunting and was out for MattDen's posting here he hates everything about Nebraska. He is moving to Ohio, but not soon enough. You will find most everyone in Nebraska friendly and will help you out.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:48 AM

21 posts, read 83,007 times
Check out Kimball. Town of about 2500, yet about 60 miles to Cheyenne Wyoming and a little closer than that to Scottsbluff Ne. I've only been once, but it's beautiful.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 186,087 times
You likely will not find anything in Nebraska as remote as you are. Only western NE may be that remote.

I live in Omaha. There are plenty of jobs here if you are willing to work. But, you are looking for small town. I don't blame you. My company is shipping me to Texas and I am looking for a small town down there.

You mentioned security and detention. If that means prison gaurd, there is a prison facility in southeast NE. Look on a map for a town called Syracuse. I think there is a prison there. Or close by. Otherwise, there may be a listing on the net about prison locations. There are plenty of small towns in southeast NE. He could commute to Omaha or Lincoln for work. Lots of those folks do that.

Both are large enough to find work. And traffic in both is not nearly as bad as most large cities.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 PM

25 posts, read 186,087 times
Let me clarify my statement above. I don't like Nebraska either. But, there are lots of folks here that do. So, I won't knock this area. Iowa is full of little towns that would suit you well. With your work histories, either one would be good for you.

One note about Omaha though. Don't choose a small town within 20 miles of the city. Omaha is on a roll to annex every small town near them. So stay at least 20 miles away.

Otherwise, I hope you find a small midwest town and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska