U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM

20,789 posts, read 35,852,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirlforever View Post
We have a 14.5 yr. old daughter and a 11.5 yr old son, both with bipolar 1 disorder. We want more than anything to move back to small town NE. We have narrowed it down to Minden, Aurora, and Aubury. Our qualifications are: access (within 30-60 mins.) to competant pych care-includes pychiatrist, counselors/therapists, pych. hospitals and RTCs. Daughter is in 9th and has an IEP, son is in 6th and is in GT. Daughter is into church youth groups, 4H, and creative stuff and is looking forward to her first summer job. Son is ALL ABOUT sports!! Especially football. He is also interested in shooting sports, skateboarding, and making his own money. Husband is into CATFISHING!!! Need a small town that has PLENTY of activities- summer sports, swimming pool, library, shopping, and more than 1 grocery store. All ideas GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Aurora is a good pick. It is a solid enough small town, and is not that far of a drive to Lincoln, which is definitely a bigger city by Great Plains standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 PM

86,903 posts, read 102,364,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirlforever View Post
We have a 14.5 yr. old daughter and a 11.5 yr old son, both with bipolar 1 disorder. We want more than anything to move back to small town NE. We have narrowed it down to Minden, Aurora, and Aubury. Our qualifications are: access (within 30-60 mins.) to competant pych care-includes pychiatrist, counselors/therapists, pych. hospitals and RTCs. Daughter is in 9th and has an IEP, son is in 6th and is in GT. Daughter is into church youth groups, 4H, and creative stuff and is looking forward to her first summer job. Son is ALL ABOUT sports!! Especially football. He is also interested in shooting sports, skateboarding, and making his own money. Husband is into CATFISHING!!! Need a small town that has PLENTY of activities- summer sports, swimming pool, library, shopping, and more than 1 grocery store. All ideas GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Unfortunately, this may be a contradiciton in terms. Hard to have all that in a small town, depending on how small you want to go. Especially hard for football players in small towns, as football teams require so many players. Just my opinion.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM

482 posts, read 2,038,121 times
yankeegirlforever,

I have lived in the Aurora area for about three years in the early 90's. Not in Aurora itself, but in Grand Island and Hastings. Grand Island is only 20 minutes drive and Hastings is about 30 to 35 minutes away. Both have what I see as the most important thing that you are looking for. That is care for your children. The St. Francis Medical Center is a very good medical center that has everything that you are needing for your children. In Hastings they have the Regional Mental Health Clinic at Mary Lanning Hospital which has several pychiatrist, counselors/therapists. Aurora has youth programs that your kids can get into. They have a nice swimming pool. Your husband can go catfishing in the Platte River (if it has water) or find some of the small lakes that are in the area. Some are private so he would have to get permission to fish. Shopping is okay in Aurora, but you will find more shopping selections in Grand Island. They have a nice shopping mall along US Hwy 281 that is on the west side of town. There are several big box stores in this area as well. There is a Sam's Club also along US Hwy 281. Several major size grocery stores, and if you are into it they just built a new Super Wal-Mart that is on the south east side of Grand Island on Locust Street and US Hwy 34. So I have to agree with Plains10 and somewhat disagree with Pittnurse70, but some of what Pittnurse70 is saying is very much true. I think that your children will have a much better chance at sports while in school if they go to Aurora over say one of the Grand Island schools.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 32,571 times
THanks for all ya'all's help!!! How's that for southern? Do you think GI and/or Hastings would have more of the mental health care my kids need than Kearney would? Or is it all pretty much the same? They are both stable and doing great, but I know through the teen years and with hormones things may get rocky from time to time and I just need to make sure I cover all the bases!!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 PM

482 posts, read 2,038,121 times
yankeegirlforever,

Grand Island and Hastings would be better.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM

15 posts, read 32,571 times
kosnebbear,

I got both you posts!! Thank you so much for your assistance!! Do you know of the Richard Young center? And if we end up in Minden, how far is GI from there? From what I have also found in my surfing is that I probably wouldn't find what we need in western NE- is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska