Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times

Advertisements

Every time I travel anywhere other than Nebraska and it's bordering states and I tell people that I live in Nebraska, they laugh and talk about corn. That's if they even know anything about Nebraska (usually only NCAA fans do). Everyone else gives a bizarre look and asks "what's out there?" I was in Chicago once, when a 30-something year old receptionist seriously did not know Nebraska is a state. I grew up in St. Louis, which isn't far from Nebraska but we never heard any news from this state and I never met any Nebraskans. Nevertheless, I at least knew that the capital city is Lincoln and I heard of Omaha. I would at least expect every American with a high school diploma or GED to know Nebraska is a state in the central US, and then maybe the capital city. I don't mind the sarcastic jokes, but it's when they try and discredit Omaha as being a large city or when I get, "What do you know about ______, you're from Nebraska?" during a discussion that I get slightly agitated. I'm just wondering if any of you get a lot of stupid questions/comments when you're out of state. How do you respond?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:02 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Nope.
I've always been very proud of where I'm from.

Now that they live in Dublin, my brother, and more so, my sis in law catch flack now and again being a farmer's daughter from Nebraska. Usually it's more of a novelty than anything though.

For me, Nebraska has been a large part of shaping the me I've become.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM

187 posts, read 663,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Every time I travel anywhere other than Nebraska and it's bordering states and I tell people that I live in Nebraska, they laugh and talk about corn. That's if they even know anything about Nebraska (usually only NCAA fans do). Everyone else gives a bizarre look and asks "what's out there?" I was in Chicago once, when a 30-something year old receptionist seriously did not know Nebraska is a state. I grew up in St. Louis, which isn't far from Nebraska but we never heard any news from this state and I never met any Nebraskans. Nevertheless, I at least knew that the capital city is Lincoln and I heard of Omaha. I would at least expect every American with a high school diploma or GED to know Nebraska is a state in the central US, and then maybe the capital city. I don't mind the sarcastic jokes, but it's when they try and discredit Omaha as being a large city or when I get, "What do you know about ______, you're from Nebraska?" during a discussion that I get slightly agitated. I'm just wondering if any of you get a lot of stupid questions/comments when you're out of state. How do you respond?
I get a little defensive. Out of state friends make fun of me all the time for living in Nebraska. Especially my Arizona relatives. "Oh, there are people there?!" "What's even IN Omaha?" "How can you survive in such a flat place?!" If only they knew...

I get pretty annoyed when people belittle my beloved Nebraska and my wonderful city of Omaha. People just don't understand "The Good Life" until they actually experience it for themselves.

"Ok, I actually enjoyed myself here!"

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
I drove a truck over the road for close to twenty years. Most of those years I was an owner/operator of my own equipment so that gave me more freedom to explore than most drivers. During those years I spent time in just about every major city and a lot of small towns that aren't even on the map.

I really think the most isolated people in the United States are the people that live in some of the most crowded Urban areas. I met people in the NYC, Philly and Boston areas that DID NOT have a clue about anything in the rest of the country. There is a lot of reluctance in big cities to talk to strangers. There are so many hustlers and grifters that honest people in these large cities have developed a thick skin.

When I wanted to meet interesting people I would go to a busy coffee shop or lunch counter or a neighborhood Deli or Bar. During the rush hour parts of the day complete strangers will share tables. Now that is something you don't see in the rest of the country. The folks that you meet during lunch hour are always in a hurry and don't have time to talk. However after work or before work I always found somebody who wanted to talk. When I told people I was from Nebraska there was almost always a lot of questions about where it was, what it was like etc. I never encountered any hostility just because I was from Nebraska. Basically people everywhere want to hear about how things are in other parts of the country.

GL2

Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Ya, I get a little defensive, but, at the end of the day, I realize its due to their ignorance, so I let it go. I do agree with you though...it does get irritating. I am sure people from Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, North and South Dakota, Montana, and etc. have similar stories.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Someone on this forum one time met someone who though Omaha was the state.

And I am very proud of our state, and I hate it when people throw out stereotypes, its disgusting.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM

209 posts, read 432,838 times
I've always been proud to be from Nebraska. I do agree with GL2, while living in Houston I couldn't believe how isolated those folks are and how many had never been out of greater Houston or the state of Texas for that matter.

Living in Arizona now I run into many, many folks from Nebraska. You wouldn't believe how much Husker red you see down here, especially during the fall.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I really think the most isolated people in the United States are the people that live in some of the most crowded Urban areas. I met people in the NYC, Philly and Boston areas that DID NOT have a clue about anything in the rest of the country. There is a lot of reluctance in big cities to talk to strangers. There are so many hustlers and grifters that honest people in these large cities have developed a thick skin.
I agree, and I notice this in particular from urban dwellers on the East Coast. Many New Yorkers think the whole world revolves around New York, because they have everything they need there and most of the media revolves around NYC.

One of the biggest complaints I heard from Australians during a trip in Melbourne was that Americans know nothing about other areas and we think everything revolves around the US. I wonder if the Americans they met before me were the same ones who don't even know Nebraska is a state. Go figure.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
People show their ignorance if they don't even know that Nebraska is a state. Why would anyone even admit that? Do they think it makes them sound sophisticated when they rip on the Midwest, but know nothing about it? There's nothing sophisticated about ignorance.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM

252 posts, read 732,916 times
Comments:

I find, everywhere, the most derogatory remarks about Nebraska come from Nebraskans who have moved away, to another place.

Could it be that they have had the worst high school experiences and have carried that with them?? into their adulthoods? Then, being far away, perhaps they mull it over and over creating a bitterness for the whole place.

Without mountains or ocean or dense population, which are all popular, cheap shots fly.

Of course, LA and New York are regarded as sophisticated. They are ports through which all the objects and ideas of the world pass---to get here.

Sorry, but my mornings and evenings are spent in a lush, lush spot on the earth. And, the quality of facilites and arts, here, are world class, regardless of remoteness.

I've always thought that it would be a good thing if Hollywood could romanticize Nebraska. I do not fear being over-populated when our well kept secret is found out. I accept that the climate can be harsh and that our resources cannot sustain millions.

I do crave the company of bright minds and other ethnicities. I just do not understand why all the limitations of the "unread" and the "unattractive" can make a person focus, negatively, on a rural space to make himself or herself feel better.

Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska