Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times

Advertisements

I went to a meeting last week of local property owners who are interested in forming a co-operative effort to get wind turbines in our area. Basically what is being proposed - so no one gets ripped off and split up by the wind brokers and wind turbine people - is talking about putting their land together so that instead of dealing with the property owners piecemeal, every one gets the same legal and financial advice and deals.

The only problem is that the State Legislature apparently has made it so that PPSD can condemn any turbine that goes up, effectively giving the PPSD a monopoly on wind power in the state. Basically what has to be done is each section or area of the State should form a landowners' group, and co-operatively work with other landowners' groups to go and talk to our legislators about opening the door to allowing private property owner groups to negotiate with other power companies as is done in other states.

1) If I am misinterpreting this in any way, please tell me. Being a newbie, I may have gotten the wrong ideas or be misunderstanding this.

2) Is anyone else joining or thinking of joining such a property group?

3) What are the pitfalls?

4) What are the benefits?

I come from a place where a single power company has the legal hold over incorporated properties, and the Public Co-Ops can only serve the rural areas. These two are constantly fighting over who gets to provide what to whom. The Big conglomerate is very powerful and the Public Co-op is small and has little power; but as a public enterprise, they are more creative and actually return money to their members every year. This is why I have very little grasp of all of the machinations here. Who wants to put in their $.02 and get a discussion going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,833 times
I really am not familiar with what you talking about, mainly the part of condemning land. I know some about the turbines south of Ainsworth.

I also just returned from North Carolina on business, driving. I saw the turbines that Iowa has along the interstates and how they are taking advantage of mother natures energy and think its a good idea. Hope Nebraska can do the same.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Basically, SCGranny, you need to get in contact with your local state reps and tell them about your concerns regarding turbines. Potentially try to pass more favorable legislation that respects small co-ops in the state.
It is great to see people getting excited about the fastest growing renewable energy technology out there.
Edit: I don't know what PPSD stands for.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-25-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Granny,
I am interested in Wind Power but from a totally different perspective. I don't think the future of WIND is in hooking up to the GRID.

I would be very careful when you give up any legal rights to a group. I got involved in a Condo Association dispute several years ago and that experience left me with absolutely NO desire to ever work with a group again.

Good luck
GL2

Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
SCGranny,

I am not personally too informed on the issue. However, my father, who is a county commissioner back in rural Nebraska is starting to deal with the issue quite a bit more. In fact, there is a big push in his county (my home county) from outside companies.

I'll mention it too him and I'm sure he'll have an answer. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 175,605 times
When did it get windy here? They should look into placing a wind farm on this forum, there are plenty of threads on here that would support a large grouping of turbines.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeynoodle View Post
When did it get windy here? They should look into placing a wind farm on this forum, there are plenty of threads on here that would support a large grouping of turbines.
I think the ones in the politics section already support most of the West Coast.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Maybe it's not windy in Lincoln or Omaha, but the Sandhills have LOTS of wind. I mentioned to DH the other day that I wondered why we didn't have kite stores around here - the big box and professional kind - and DH said quietly, "They probably got tired of losing small children."

Thanks for your help, Matt. I really want to see if I am understanding this right. So far we have heard of folks selling their "wind rights" to brokers and getting ripped off because the Public Power Service Districts (what we call public electric co-ops back east) won't allow turbines to be built unless they are the ones who do it.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM

84 posts, read 405,768 times
Nebraska is the fifth rated state for the development of wind power. Nebraska is the only state with all public Power. The PPD (Public Power District) is considered a government entity with condemnation powers. If a corporate interest puts up a wind farm without cooperating with PPD that farm could be condemned and taken over by PPD. PPD has put out Request for Proposals (RFPs) to go into joint ventures with corporations to establish wind farms in Nebraska. The PPD keeps Nebraska's electric charges some of the lowest, if not the lowest in the country. Nebraska is developing wind energy generation, but it is moving fairly slow in comparision with other states like Michigan and Iowa. So far a lot of PPD's agreements with outside companies are for five or ten years and that time is barely long enough to re-coop investment.

A new wind farm was just established in Knox County by Bloomfield. There are wind data gathering towers errected in Boone, Madison and Antelope counties and probably in other areas as well. One of the key requirements for wind energy development is to have the proper transmission lines already present in the wind farm area. The counties mentioned above do have the proper transmission lines available.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:03 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Maybe it's not windy in Lincoln or Omaha, but the Sandhills have LOTS of wind. I mentioned to DH the other day that I wondered why we didn't have kite stores around here - the big box and professional kind - and DH said quietly, "They probably got tired of losing small children."

Thanks for your help, Matt. I really want to see if I am understanding this right. So far we have heard of folks selling their "wind rights" to brokers and getting ripped off because the Public Power Service Districts (what we call public electric co-ops back east) won't allow turbines to be built unless they are the ones who do it.
I totally support you on this one scgranny. Nebraska needs to develops its wind power and other resources. There are too many advantages from economic and oil issues to the environment. GraniteSlater is right though, you and the others involved really need to speak with Nebraska lawmakers, from city, state and maybe even Congressional.

(Gays are all about the environment you know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska