U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,469,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
Does it bother you when people outside of the Great Plains region think Nebraska is full of Buffalo, Tornadoes, and Rednecks and don't realize what is actually in the state and the beauty it has to offer?
Not really any more than it bothers me when people in NE think that the west coast is full of hippies, gays, and earthquakes.

Sure, NE is full of beauty, but that doesn't count for much because so's everywhere else. Kind of like how having good weather six months of the year doesn't count for much either.

But buffalo are yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM

109 posts, read 119,540 times
I kinda just want to point out that 99% of the descriptions of Nebraska on this thread are of Western Nebraska, and sound like a different land to an Omaha native.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,239,066 times
Quote:
Does it bother you when people outside of the Great Plains region think Nebraska is full of Buffalo, Tornadoes, and Rednecks and don't realize what is actually in the state and the beauty it has to offer?

*I did post a tornado thread but it was for personal knowledge*
Yup. It's just that whenever a buffalo riding redneck gets hit by a tornado, it makes the papers coast to coast.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM

14 posts, read 9,096 times
I've had the pleasure of living in several different cities including Chicago/Evanston, Washington, DC, Cleveland and Columbus. I cannot tell you how many people can't even visualize where Nebraska is (I'm like damn, if you look at the map we're SMACK in the middle of the country) or they constantly cannot recall that I'm from Omaha. They'll say anything that starts with an O or has the letter O in it. Oklahoma. IOwa. MissOuri. And then, dare I guess that most folks posting on this board are most likely white so I'm sure you don't get this one.

"You're from where? OMAHA? I didn't know there were black people in OMAHA." UUUGGGHHH!!! Once, when I was driving in MD to get to my brother's place in Washington, DC. A black Prince George's County highway patrolman pulled me over. When I asked him why, he said he just had to meet me because he had NEVER met any black people from Nebraska.

Me to him: "Are you freaking kidding me? That's why you pulled me over?"

To myself: "What a jerk. So they gave YOU a badge huh..."

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM

312 posts, read 156,562 times
Quote:

*I did post a tornado thread but it was for personal knowledge*
To be honest this describes all the plains states. How is this description different from say Kansas or Oklahoma or even Texas and the dakotas?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM

67,308 posts, read 54,914,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCitiGirl View Post
I've had the pleasure of living in several different cities including Chicago/Evanston, Washington, DC, Cleveland and Columbus. I cannot tell you how many people can't even visualize where Nebraska is (I'm like damn, if you look at the map we're SMACK in the middle of the country) or they constantly cannot recall that I'm from Omaha. They'll say anything that starts with an O or has the letter O in it. Oklahoma. IOwa. MissOuri. And then, dare I guess that most folks posting on this board are most likely white so I'm sure you don't get this one.

"You're from where? OMAHA? I didn't know there were black people in OMAHA." UUUGGGHHH!!! Once, when I was driving in MD to get to my brother's place in Washington, DC. A black Prince George's County highway patrolman pulled me over. When I asked him why, he said he just had to meet me because he had NEVER met any black people from Nebraska.

Me to him: "Are you freaking kidding me? That's why you pulled me over?"

To myself: "What a jerk. So they gave YOU a badge huh..."
LOL! Funny story! I once told a friend that my husband went to the same high school as Gale Sayers (sp?) [Omaha Central]. She said, knowing my husband was from Nebraksa, "I didn't know there were any blacks in Nebraska!"

Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM

2,094 posts, read 2,659,455 times
If there are black people in Norfolk, Wayne, Chadron, Scottsbluff, Grand Island and even Benkelman...Why wouldn't there be in Omaha?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM

67,308 posts, read 54,914,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
If there are black people in Norfolk, Wayne, Chadron, Scottsbluff, Grand Island and even Benkelman...Why wouldn't there be in Omaha?
The person expressing surprise at the idea of blacks in Nebraska in my example had never been there.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,344,984 times
I am from McCook,NE and I moved to Orlando, FL in 1985 and lived there for 10 yrs. Several times when I told people where I was from they asked where is that at. I would say right in the middle, you can't miss it and they would confuse it with KS and OZ.

This explains a lot about the people who are voting, scary!!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 9,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! Funny story! I once told a friend that my husband went to the same high school as Gale Sayers (sp?) [Omaha Central]. She said, knowing my husband was from Nebraksa, "I didn't know there were any blacks in Nebraska!"
Yeah, I can laugh now, but it ended up being a really traumatic experience. I was actually headed to DC to finish up my graduate program, which was based out of Northwestern in Chicago. But my internship required that I do a quarter of TV broadcasting in DC. I was about 26 at the time and had never driven in that part of the country by myself. So I timed my trip with a classmate who was actually from DC. So the plan was to follow her. I'd spend the night with her at her sister's house and then in the morning she'd get me to my brother's place. Dummy me didn't have an atlas and our plan was that I'd flash my lights at her if I needed her to stop. When the highway patrolman pulled me over, I tried to get my friend to stop, but she kept going. So I HAD to pull over. I was soooooo angry at that man for pulling me over I didn't know what to do. I was basically stranded and lost.

I just ended up driving and it was starting to get dark. So I saw this lonely looking farmhouse out in the distance and I turned up this dirt road to get to it. I was so scared. I'm like, "these people could be serial killers...no one will ever see me again." Now mind you this was back in the mid 80s and no such thing as a cell phone.

So I get out of my car, walk up to the door and these two big dogs come bounding to the door and start wagging their tails and barking. A lady comes to the door and asks what I need. I just burst into tears and tell her I'm lost and need to use her phone. Her husband comes to the door and she says "Honey, this little girl is lost and needs to use our phone."

So they let me in (and I'm still thinking....hmmm... serial killers always start out nice...) and the dogs are freindly enough and they're jumping all over me wanting to lick me and play. They offer me something to drink, but I'm like serial killers always drug you... But anyhoo, I have my brother's number and I'm crying and telling him to come and get me. He's asking where I am and I can't tell him so he talks to the lady. She puts me back on the phone and says, "Girl, I can't come get you. Don't you know your friend's sister's name and phone number?"

Turns out I remember her name and the city she lives in but not the address. The people turn out to be really nice and do their best to console me while I wait there. He manages to find her, calls her and she actually comes to get me. In the meantime, her sister, my friend at some point realizes I'm not behind her and she ends up driving all the way back to the MD state line. She's frantic of course cause she can't find me. By the time me and her sister make it back to her house, my friend is pulling up too. Now of course it wasn't funny at the time but it sure makes for a really good story all these years later. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska