U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM

252 posts, read 430,205 times
I'd put my dukes up, Granite Stater, but I gotta' own what I am.

I am a person who lives in a precarious pop. It is/was agricultural and, for economic reasons most of our very, bright youth do tend to go elsewhere. And, yes, many of whom stay, are clinging to their guns and their Bibles. However,it would be unfair to say that about every young, childbearing couple, who lives here. Some have returned with good educations--either to fill a profession or some because they love weekends on the lake, sailing a boat, or they are challenged by the elements, or some are just entertained with the idea of rednecks. It happens.

I worry that if we lose that House seat, the more isolate parts of the Western counties, will still be voting against progress. That vote then goes with the Central micro-cities that have a chance at relating to issues like de-regulation and friendly tolerance of employees of companies. Scottsbluff is not Lincoln, and Lincoln may sniff, but that's enough voting to push over an election.

I won't elaborate. But, the other side of the conservative vs. progressive vote, out here concerns Livestock Friendly and water rights. It will be hard to make Lincoln care whether or not we live pig farm contamination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM

14,999 posts, read 19,771,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
I'd put my dukes up, Granite Stater, but I gotta' own what I am.
I am not good at picking up sarcasm? I think I have a very strong understanding about what goes on in many areas of the rural and frontier Great Plains in Kansas and Nebraska as my relatives still own and operate a sizable ranch in northwest Kansas. I think the decline has now been so persistent and severe as to have little chance at a reversal of attracting much in the way of new capital and talent to the farm towns. The reasons are numerous as you know: farm consolidation, vast increases in farm machinery technologies, the consolidation of talent near diverse employment bases and college towns, CRP (positive and negative impacts), etc). Nebraska also has a very mobile younger population with educated individuals seeking out more diverse urban areas with a good range of career field options.
Quote:
I am a person who lives in a precarious pop. It is/was agricultural and, for economic reasons most of our very, bright youth do tend to go elsewhere. And, yes, many of whom stay, are clinging to their guns and their Bibles. However,it would be unfair to say that about every young, childbearing couple, who lives here. Some have returned with good educations--either to fill a profession or some because they love weekends on the lake, sailing a boat, or they are challenged by the elements, or some are just entertained with the idea of rednecks. It happens.
More so than other rural states, many younger Nebraskans flock in masse to cities instead of staying in rural agriculturally dependent counties. The trend has been occurring for over 100 years and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. Even those that are self-employed don't particularly like extreme isolation or extreme climate. I know how harsh it can be out in rural NW Kansas as even the elments can really wear you down after awhile.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Touche' BUT, I'm here. And, I have to tell you that this river valley just isn't the same as Scott City, KS. My mother's family used to come visit from Eastern CO. and, they didn't want to go home. They felt they were in a lush forest by comparison. Now, of course, that's funny because this is prairie.............and, yes, no free thinking, 38 yr. old professional, who is good looking, educated and has a great job in So. CA, wants to throw it over and come live here--almost none. However, it happens. Got one.

I'm interested in what's going to happen, next. I can tough it out, if everyone leaves, because I have a life. It doesn't depend on "where" I am. I, mostly, miss sidewalk cafe's, but I'm in and out for that, all the time. In fact, my little town has a sidewalk cafe'. ...It's just that, we're lake, not ocean. You know what I mean??

Pardon the late night red wine talk. I just want to point out that not every nook and crannie of the Great Plains is bleak. I never (and I mean Never) have a boring moment, here.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 PM

14,999 posts, read 19,771,982 times
Quote:
Touche' BUT, I'm here. And, I have to tell you that this river valley just isn't the same as Scott City, KS. My mother's family used to come visit from Eastern CO. and, they didn't want to go home. They felt they were in a lush forest by comparison. Now, of course, that's funny because this is prairie.............and, yes, no free thinking, 38 yr. old professional, who is good looking, educated and has a great job in So. CA, wants to throw it over and come live here--almost none. However, it happens. Got one.

I'm interested in what's going to happen, next. I can tough it out, if everyone leaves, because I have a life. It doesn't depend on "where" I am. I, mostly, miss sidewalk cafe's, but I'm in and out for that, all the time. In fact, my little town has a sidewalk cafe'. ...It's just that, we're lake, not ocean. You know what I mean??

Pardon the late night red wine talk. I just want to point out that not every nook and crannie of the Great Plains is bleak. I never (and I mean Never) have a boring moment, here.
I did not say all the small towns were bleak. I just don't see how many towns with <1000 people and isolated are going to make it through another decade or two. I do like the southern tier of Nebraska, but it really is extremely isolated. I am a fan of Kearney, although I know it is a larger town Also, it seems that many areas of Nebraska are extremely dependent on center pivot irrigation to grow water hungry corn. This seems especially apparent across the entire Platte river valley. Kansas has this same issue going on in the southwest part of the state along the Arkansas river. I just do not think that much of central and western Nebraska can claim to be Midwestern agriculturally when they use massive quanitites of water to grow crops that don't even need to be irrigated at all in states like Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana. Another Western attribute that I think of in Nebraska is the Sand Hills along with rural water districts?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM

933 posts, read 896,668 times
I guess Nebraska may not lose the Congressional seat afterall in 2010. Although with the rural decline it may happen in 2020.

Nebraska's population is growing modestly (5%-10% a decade) thanks to Omaha/Lincoln, the tri-cities and a few other oasis cities in the state.

Every year, we are closer to the point here where the declining rural areas will have a minimal impact on the state's population overall, but I'm sure we have a little time before that happens.

We already know that the cities heere are growing at very high growth rates and this trend will continue after the rural decline is minimal. At one time it was feared that nobody would move to Nebraska, but that fear has since gone away. The reason is the net in migration from out of state has been picking up steam over the last 15 years and even more so in the last 3. The last three years alone saw more people move in that out overall which is resulting in some pretty nice sized population increases within our state's borders.

While the Omaha/Lincoln, Tri-cities and the few other oasis spots have been responsible for 112% of the state's growth while the rest of the state is responsible for -12%. In the 1940's while the same cities in Nebraska saw monstrous growth spurts the rest of the state lost so many people that the overall population dropped over a 100,000.

We are near the final stages of the rapid rural decline as the census estimates and counts have shown the last thirty years:
2009 est: 1,796,619 (final 2010 count will reveal another 30,000-50,000 undercount, or close to 1,850,000 for the final count).
2000 count: 1,711,265
1990 count: 1,578,385
1980 count: 1,569,825
1970 count: 1,485,333
1960 count: 1,411,000

With the continued surges in population in the state's main two metropolitan centers (Omaha/Lincoln and tri-cities) the possibility for a count of over 2,000,000 in 2020 is likely.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I just don't see how many towns with <1000 people and isolated are going to make it through another decade or two. I do like the southern tier of Nebraska, but it really is extremely isolated.
Some towns will not....and, some will. Here, on the lake, with good trails from Omaha to Denver....we will.

Isolated? Looks that way on the map. And, whenever I'm returning from Omaha or Denver, it feels that way for a few hours after.

Presently, with beaucoup guests from CA, and all the campsites and the motels filled for the Memorial weekend...hoping that the grocery store has enough Vidalia onions for all of us...It just really isn't isolated.

Of course, I'm sharing these thoughts with several thousand of you from my flower and shrub bordered patio...trees swaying, slightly....birds singing...gorgeous 75 degree day. I just don't think about isolation.

(Worry, though, about political representation. However, I rarely get the candidate that goes after what I think, anyway.)

Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM

605 posts, read 711,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
The house of representives has 435 members and the nation has a population of 300 million that is about 690,000 people for each district. Nebraska has a population of 1,768,000 people. So to justify 3 house seats it would need 2 million people.

I looked it up on Census because I am curious about it, all the numbers are rounded-off here by the way.

Omaha has a decent economy with a very large economic base but the rest of the state has very low wages and usually the smaller towns are driven by just a small number of companies to work for people like selection and rural Nebraska doesnt give them selection. So while Omaha is doing well, much of the rest of the state has major population decline issues.

Nebraska is growing very slowly in general. The rest of the nation is growing much faster. I believe Nebraska has gained 60,000 people since 2000 (mainly due to births, the state has a very very high birth-rate) but the nation a whole especially the sun-belt is growing much, much faster

Omaha, Lincoln and the counties along the Interstate 80 corridor or near it tend to grow and most of the rural counties are losing population very, very fast. Douglas County, Nebraska has gained 29,000 people since 2000 to 492,000 people. Cass and Sarpy counties have gained 20,000 and 17,000 people each so three counties with-in a half-hour of each other have gained 66,000 people and the the state has a whole (including those three counties) has only gained 57,000 people do to massive rural population decline in most areas.
Why have they kept the House of Rep to just 435? Originally, the amount reps grew with every Census reapportionment, but its been kept at 435 since the early 1900's. Maybe they need to increase the House to 500 members or so?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,942,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Why have they kept the House of Rep to just 435? Originally, the amount reps grew with every Census reapportionment, but its been kept at 435 since the early 1900's. Maybe they need to increase the House to 500 members or so?
It was a matter of space, they kept having to redo the Capitol over and over again for the additional congress people.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM

703 posts, read 1,042,164 times
I really don't want to see Nebraska lose any representation. But then when I look at things and relalize it would probably be a no-neck like Adrian Smith that gets the boot, that sounds ok to me!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I really don't want to see Nebraska lose any representation. But then when I look at things and relalize it would probably be a no-neck like Adrian Smith that gets the boot, that sounds ok to me!
That's what I wanted to say.

How can it matter when no pro-active, progressive or intellectual candidate could ever win in third district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska