U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,754,727 times

Advertisements

Wyoming has no state income tax.

Sales tax is at least 4% statewide, but cities and counties can vote to add another 1% for capital facilities plus, I think, up to another 1% for special bond issues. In most counties it's 5% to 6%. Unprepared food (groceries with some exclusions like deli sandwiches) is not taxed; restaurants charge the full sales tax amount.

Cities and counties can also vote in a lodging tax of 2% to 4%. This is normally used to fund and promote tourism, etc. In the majority of counties it's 2%. It won't cost you unless you pay for a hotel room, camping site, etc.

Auto tags are fairly expensive, depending on the age of your vehicle and its new factory price. I can't recall exactly what I paid this year, but I think it was around $300 (total) for a 10-year-old car and pickup. That basically covers the personal property tax; if your property requires a license plate, there's no property tax on it. If you've got an airplane or boat, you'll get a bill from the assessor. I imagine that's also true with unlicensed ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. (not sure), but individuals don't get hit up for much else.

Businesses have to pay a personal property tax on most everything -- equipment, office furniture, etc.

Real property is taxed at a reasonable rate. I paid $1,027 for my home last year, which would sell for $225K to $250K.

Utility costs are generally fairly low compared to most places. My gas bill, for heat and hot water, averages $87 per month for a 2000 sq. ft. home. Electricity, water, sewer and garbage averages $130 including summer A.C. and lawn watering. They'll be higher in the country using propane.

Schools in Wyoming are excellent. Teacher pay in Wyoming is currently very good, so schools get good teachers. I don't know that schools are better than Nebraska's, but I think they're comparable.

I'd guess you'd have better gardening luck in western Nebraska than eastern Wyoming, although I doubt there's much difference between the Scottsbluff and Torrington areas, and I'd say Torrington would be your best bet for gardening in Wyoming. Eastern Nebraska would be better yet. At our higher altitudes, growing seasons are short, and our ground, for the most part, isn't all that fertile either. If you work it enough, get enough manure into it, and water it enough, it can do very well. Then it's just a matter of the short season.

It's -6F as I type this, with a "Real Feel" of -24F. It's forecast to drop to -18F tonight with wind chills of -30F. It's not winter yet. Bring your long flannels if you come.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,272,796 times
WyoNewk speaks the truth. I would like to add one thing. In the South East corner of Wyoming, there is some fertile ground around the creeks and rivers. Actually there is some fertile ground a lot of other places, but is really limited to low land where sediment lies. Those areas will raise a decent garden. But to plant a garden in other areas is difficult to say the least. Yield will be less then what you expect.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
You will love Scottsbluff. If a smaller town is what you are looking for, you might consider Minatare, Mitchell, or Morrill. They are all very nice little towns, all within minutes of Scottsbluff. Summers are VERY hot and winters CAN get extreemly cold, but dont last real long. I love this area!

Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM

15,134 posts, read 25,910,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4na View Post
Hi Folks,
My family and I are moving. Depend on whether it's to West NE or East WY.
Can anyone give us info on those areas of the states?
About eight years ago, my friend called me from Miami, FL and asked me what I thought about Nebraska. After five minutes of laughing - he had never been north of the Mason-Dixon line and did NOT own a winter jacket, I layed out what he had to know to survive in W. Nebraska. He has had a pretty good time over the years.

While I agree with SCGranny, the life is NOT for everyone. Compared to the places where you have lived, there is relatively little to do. The "fun" that you find in a small town which is community based is a whole lot different than you will find in the large cities that you have lived in. Maybe YOU can handle that, but will your children?

Are you aware that the soils/climate of W. Nebraska make a garden a crapshoot? In good years, you will do really well; in bad years, not so much. It is an inconvenience if you lose your garen if it is a hobby. However, it is a lot worse if you really need it to survive.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM

723 posts, read 1,158,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
there are plenty of warm areas in the western nebraska panhandle, and southern wyoming.. the warm areas will be the windy areas though, since it's the downsloping winds that create the warmth. Any snow that falls in these areas won't stay long, and although it does get cold, it's not the neverending cold that occurs in say Eastern SD where I am, MN, northern IA, northern WI, and places like that.

Rock springs, WY is an example of a reasonably warm area where bitter cold is broken up by temps in the 50s and 60s pretty much all the time.... and the winds really aren't all that high there either. Lots of sweet spots, just gotta look.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

You're joking right?? I used to live in Green River ( about 12 miles west of Rock Springs ) for 24 yrs before moving to Oregon. Rock Springs and any area in SW Wyoming is NOT warm. Sure, you might hit 80-85 a couple of times in the summer in July or August, but it can snow at ANY time--I've seen it snow on the 4th of July, Memorial Day and especially around Labor Day which is usually the first snowfall. Winters in SW Wyoming is beyond brutal. I remember we'd go not days, but weeks--sometimes 3 or 4 weeks where the temp never got above 20F, and when you factor in that wind, OMG. Rock Springs ( I worked there the last 6 yrs before my move to Oregon ) made national news a few times because of the wind chill temp would be -60F one day and a few days later, -76F.

For anyone wanting to move to this area, while it is low in crime for the most part ( though Rock Springs crime rate for its size, is relatively high and a lot more than there is in Green River ) , and there is no such thing as bad traffic because the region is so desolate, be prepared to make sure you find a job where you're working indoors, and have lots of warm blankets and thermals to wear in the winter...seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska