Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfish View Post
If you think that MattDen is right about Lincoln, you obviously haven't been to Lincoln.
Well, I'be been there, but never lived there or visited for any period of time. I didn't say he was right, I said he might be. My beef was more about his comparison of Lincoln and Pittsburgh, supposedly favorable to Pittsburgh in demographics. Pittsburgh is my hometown, and the area is slowly dying. They are constantly closing schools there. This is not a good thing.

Also, Matt has not been a member for some time, and this thread is very old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,453 times
As I see it, words like "progressive" are a smoke screen for, among other things anti-male/anti-white employment discrimination. I fled San Francisco because of this discrimination, and now Denver is not looking much better. How are things in Lincoln in that respect? I hear that both Colorado and Nebraska had anti-preferences Amendments on their ballots. As of 3:30 Mountain time on 11-5-08, the outcome is still unknown. How did the anti-preferences Amendment in Nebraska do? Is Lincoln or Omaha or Grand Island "politically-correct"? Please advise. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ef9876 View Post
I hear that both Colorado and Nebraska had anti-preferences Amendments on their ballots. As of 3:30 Mountain time on 11-5-08, the outcome is still unknown. How did the anti-preferences Amendment in Nebraska do? Is Lincoln or Omaha or Grand Island "politically-correct"? Please advise. Thanks.
The ammendment to ban affirmative action was passed 58% to 42% (little over 100,000 margin). I believe every single county in the state supported the ammendment.

There is currently a court challenge surrounding the gathering of signatures. The ones against the ban claim procedural errors by the proponents including fraud. Courts should decide really soon on that issue.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,558 times
I honestly think it passed b/c of the way it was written. It seemed to me like voting FOR it meant that you were FOR affirmative action but nooooooo. It was written a**backwards and hard to understand.
They should just write: Ban affirmative action YES/NO

Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
I honestly think it passed b/c of the way it was written. It seemed to me like voting FOR it meant that you were FOR affirmative action but nooooooo. It was written a**backwards and hard to understand.
They should just write: Ban affirmative action YES/NO
Personally I thought the wording was very clear. I read it and understood what I was voting on.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,558 times
Well, it may be my age and inexperience. All of my friends had issues understanding it as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
I think it is because Lincoln is a smaller city, and there is a bit more apathy. In Omaha, if we vote for a democrat, most likely they will get our electoral vote, but Lincoln voted Obama this year and failed to capture their district because of how large it is. As a result, I wouldn't be suprised to see a lack of caring about the political process.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering why Omaha is so much more moderate politically then Lincoln.

It seems like Lincoln is alot like the rural areas in Nebraska. Very, very conservative on social issues. I would venture to guess that Lincolnites are the most socially conservative people in the country, especially the 20 and 30
somethings. Actually conservative isnt even the word for Lincoln's social political beliefs, its more extremeist and fringe then conservative.

The average Lincolnite politically loves high local taxes (they love tax increases). The average Lincolnite is vehemently anti-gay, anti-choice on abortion rights. They also believe in marriage is solely for the purpose of pro-creation and people have a duty to have many, many babies. Another example of the fiscal leftism/social extreme conservative way of Lincoln is the high-schools here subsidise women who have lots of babies before they graduate with child care because they feel like a women might as well start her reproductive duties early. Just a strange, strange place politically probubly even more unique then some of the beliefs people hold in rural Utah

Whats ironic about Lincoln politics is that the average Lincolnite is very, very socially conservative but they have no problem with very poor people have many babies. In fact Lincoln encourages very poor people who are struggling to have babies, very ironic political structure with Lincoln being so fiscally far to the left and so socially conservative.

Omaha on the other hand is very moderate politically. People tend to be moderate socially and fiscally in Omaha. Omaha for the most part is a normal midwestern place politically.

Omahans seem to have logical mainstream political beliefs, while Lincolnites have extreme fringe political beliefs on both fiscal and social issues unlike anywhere else in the country.

Lincoln tries to be a very, very far-left city on fiscal issues while being rabidly socially conservative and it doesnt seem to be working out very well and causes lots of problems. Huge deficits, massive school spending while the city infrastructure rots, people having babies in massive numbers they arent able to take care of so the foster care rate is very high.
I think its because Omaha has more gays.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I think its because Omaha has more gays.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it..

Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreysh View Post
yeah i'm pretty sure that's it..
Ha :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska